Video from Intel CEO Bob Swan to COMPUTEX: Did Intel give up on benchmarks?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ghosty likes this.
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    "Our performance sucks, but our platforms are still ok, amirite guys? Guys?"

:p

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What a joker. I'm surprised he can speak words like that despite knowing what kind of company he's working for.

All of this has got absolutely nothing to do with how Intel operates. I don't know what company he's talking about, but it, for sure, isn't Intel.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's basically empty PR words for "this is another year where our CPUs will suck".

Turanis likes this.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Isnt that what AMD management said about benches when Phenom was released? The shoe is now on the other foot :D
    Intel going through the same motions as AMD when they were at a disadvantage. Including jacking up the ghz and power draw to stay competitive.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    So we should focus on intels platform thats more expensive and offers no extras over amd aside from a little extra gaming performance if u like/need high refresh rate only.

7. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Platform? What like PCIe Gen 4? Oh, I'll get my coat.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why? Intel always dominated benchmarks.

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The statement make sense. They have to make millions and billions and not make happy a bunch of nerd guys. Because that's it.

10. LuismiFC

LuismiFC Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1660s
    Exactly, Intel CPU have become a niche product, only for those with a 2080ti who desperately need to go from 140fps to 155 fps.

In every other case, from laptop to server, AMD looks like the right option today.

11. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Having Intel inside does have a benefit: It will save us from another Ice Age ;-)

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Problem is, that you won't really get that much fps @4K with newer AAA titles maxing things out, with 4K and above there is no huge benefit using an Intel CPU over AMD for gaming.
    There are probably 2080TI owners that run lower resolutions, but I would guess most of them have a 4K monitor?

0blivious likes this.
  13. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I see, or rather hear, this speech as an oblique attempt to throw a bit of shade at AMD's platform infrastructure, and as a "between-the-lines" message to the Elders at Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others to not get any big ideas about transitioning any further over to the Dark Side during these challenging times. As in, "Yo, dudes, don't change horses in midstream. You might fall in and get some Covid on you."

And, next time, give that tie one last, little tug before going live, planet-wide. This wasn't radio.

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So anyone I know looking to upgrade their laptop. I should recommend them to get a i9-10980HK instead of a Ryzen 7 4800H? Gotcha.
    Nah ... I will still recommend the Ryzen 4800H because it destroys everything. Intel might be the king of mobile as claimed by the CEO, but they
    do not have the best platform at the moment. Ryzen 4800H is king in that area.
    EDIT
    Even through intel is paying oem's to keep high end graphics cards reserved for their platforms.

15. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I hate these "innovation" speeches. What the f*ck is innovative in a x86 CPU? It's supposed to do the same f*cking thing as the older ones, only faster and/or more efficiently. No rocket science here, marketing folks.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This doesn´t bodes well for Intel´s next releases...

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Kind of a dumb take honestly

How do you think they make these things faster and more efficient? You don't think there is any innovation in these processors with new instruction sets? Dedicated hardware for specific tasks (for example the AI engines in Tigerlake?) Newer far more complex branch prediction (AMD's perceptron branch predictor?) Manufacturing developments like Foveros?

Kaarme, yasamoka and PrMinisterGR like this.
  18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn I thought you may find this new worthy, glad you ran with it. Intel is just lost right now. I'm certan by 2022 they will be back in the game but this video is just more proof they have no responce to Zen3.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah except they will eventually make make less billions when they stop making nerds happy. See the nerds are who influence all of the future server and high end desktop sales. AMD will simply continue to take market share from Intel.

20. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Yes, it's a dumb take because we're talking about a dumb speech for the dumb/mainstream audience. If this marketing was aimed at the technical audience, then you would be absolutely right.

But even the dumb audience can hear "let's forget benchmarks" and realize that there's something fishy there. The whole text would be absolutely fine if he simply didn't said that single line and justify it with "innovation".