Video corruption and hard locks

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by eddman, Apr 17, 2012.

1. eddman

eddman Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    I'm occasionally experiencing picture corruption in the form of patches of green and red dots while watching videos (after skipping the video to be precise), and immediately a hard-lock. PC becomes non-responsive and I'm forced to do a hard reset.

A few points:

1. I've had my current hardware setup for a few months now, and this problem started just a few days ago.
    2. Games run fine. I haven't seen any graphical corruption or faced a hard-lock.
    3. I ran OCCT on GPU for 20 min and it was fine.
    4. I don't use DXVA acceleration for videos.
    5. One time I experienced this issue in IE9. Picture corruption was the same but no hard-lock. Windows simply terminated the driver.

Is my card or other component dying?
    If so and it's a hardware problem, then how come games and OCCT are fine?
    Could it be a driver issue? I installed it about a month ago and had no problems until a few days ago, as I mentioned. Can a driver that worked fine for some time, become corrupted later on?

I un-installed and re-installed the driver to see if it changes anything. Will report back.

Windows 7 64-bit SP1, fully updated
    Driver 296.10

EDIT: Re-installing 296.10 didn't help. It somehow made it even worse. Un-installed it and then installed 295.73. Let's see if it changes anything.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's the driver. Go back to 295.73. Recent drivers have similar issues with 460/560's.