Video Card upgrade,opinions?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xXMrMeathooksXx, Aug 3, 2011.

1. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli

Hello everyone! I have a dilemma on my hands! First off-my sig is not accurate. I need to update it soon.

Current configuration is as follows;

i7 950 cpu @ 4.1 ghz
    GTX 295's Quad SLI
    12gb DDR3
    Asus P6T deluxe v2 mobo
    1TB HD
    Windows 7
    40in plasma 1080p tv and 24in LED monitor

My dilemma is that I cant decide on the next set of cards for my PC. Battlefield 3 has my nerves in a bunch and I want the most out of that game graphicly and with 60fps or so(even though the games is to run at 30 fps). My current cards are awesome,but as we all know they lack DX11 and the newer enhancements of the Fermi cores.

Im looking for either the 480,550ti,560ti,570 or 580 cards for Sli.

Also,now dont get ticked..I was looking at the 6950 to flash then crossfire (great value)

So what do you guys think? I do play metro and Crysis along with BC2 aswell.

2. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    580 sli

3. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    I would say depends on your budget really. I would drop the 550ti from all considerations personally.

4. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Budget,right forgot to mention.. Im looking to spend 300 each or less. I have seen 480s for under 260 but im not sure its worth it as i hear they get hot as hell.. The 580s are great but they are priced high $ per frame might not make sense as the 570 performs similar

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    The 550 in SLI probably wouldnt be faster than what you have now. Also, its better to get a single faster card than 2 mid/low end cards in SLI.

Out of the rest, the 480's I wouldnt consider in SLI due to the heat (unless u intend to watercool) but may be a good option if you can get a good price on a single card.

the 570 SLI looks like the way to go in terms of budget vs. performance. Also, dont discount the radeons. Recent crossfire support has actually been better/quicker than SLI support in terms of newly released games IMO. Performance is pretty decent too.

EDIT: Have you considered the GTX-590 as a single (dual GPU) card. Not sure how much they are where you are but they are cheaper than GTX580 SLI, and perform in-between 570 SLI and 580 SLI.

6. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Good points-

The 590 was an option.One is fast as hell,2 is murderous. Cheaper then the 6990 ati,by a alot really,per card.
    Also I did think about the 6 series ati cards. Im not really a fan boy. I buy based on performance and reliability. Afterall,when you are cap'n flags in an online match,who has time to think about the card they have? Unless its a pissing match about who has more frames per second lol

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I'd be looking at eitehr the gtx 570 or the HD 6950, both great performers for the price, especially once you unlock the 6950.

8. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Not to get off topic..what cards are "unlocked"? Signs to look out for? I think the 6970 is plenty fast in xfire mode.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    You're mostly looking for 'reference' model 2GB 6950's, some other models let you unlock just the shaders aswell but you'd have to check on them individualy. The most obvious feature of a reference card is that it has AMD written on the pcb just above the pci-e port insert.

Check the image out on here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127555

10. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Cool thanks for the heads up. I will be looking for 2 570's or the reference 6950's. Most bang for your buck!

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Just get a single GTX580 then later get another one. (if needed)

12. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Ok. I ended up going for 2 ASUS Dierct CU 6870 cards for crossfire. I picked them up new for 250$ a pair! I saved 250 dollars in the long run.

In benchmarks,and in most cases the 6990 is not much quicker,and being it is 800 dollars or more online I think I did pretty good!

I was looking at 580GTX but could not suck it up to drop 500+ for one. (nvidia will have to wait this time)

However,mission accomplished.I sold my 295's,and now I can play Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 in DX11 bliss, Yesssss!

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would think 2 295`s are stronger than 2 6870`s. probably by a lot. 1 295 is roughly equal to 1 480. at least you got dx11

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I was thinking the same, he did just sidegrade.

15. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    The performance would be similar. The 295's are awesome,only complaint was quad sli some times had issues :/ and no DX11.

6870 CF is a great value (in my case,2 cards 250us) for the most part they beat out a 580 which was out of my price range right now. Faster then 470's in sli and a tad slower then 480's in sli. But i think I can OC the cards some to gain that back. :eek3:

Edit : Also when you refer to equal,that may be the case when you talk apples to apples. Direct X11 leaves the 295 at the back of the bus as they cant use it. So basicly I have around the same performance but now I have DX11. Sounds like an upgrade,not a sidestep.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

16. Bl@ck_Thorne

Bl@ck_Thorne Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 Jetstream
    ^^
    yeah same here i think 2 295's is better than 2 6870's the only advantage on 6870 is DX11

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I tested 295 vs a 480 and 580 and it kept up with them np as long as you do not go over 4x aa. of course no dx 11. 2 6950`s unlocked or 2 570/580 would of been a real upgrade adding much needed vram as you just went from 896mb to just 1gb. just trying to give you some sound advice here as I think you will be disappointed in the framerate category here. but if your happy with your cards, thats all that really matters in the long run

18. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Yes the video ram came to mind but then thought...why do I need that much? 2gb is more then enough at 1080p. Thats the only res I play at. I have been a console gamer forever and 1080p on a computer with all the candy turned on is like going from a Voodoo 4500 to a gtx 590 in terms of quailty and comparision. I could not believe how BC2 looked on my plasma tv! Its like playing an Xbox on crack! lol

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    You don't actually get 2gb in cf/sli, the meory is mirrored so max usable stays at 1gb.

20. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    I did not know that. Either way I will be good for now. I will use these then get the new 6 whatever series nvidia if they are any good,hopefully not rebranded 5xx's