Video card suggestion for WoW @1080P (ultra)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by entropism, Feb 25, 2017.

?

What would you choose?

1. RX 480 4GB

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. RX 480 8GB

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. 1060 3GB

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. 1060 6GB

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    If i may... don't just select the Ultra Preset and be done with it, because there is no way to maintain 60FPS in Val'Shara and Suramar.

Lower the following settings:

View Distance to 7
    Environment Detail to 7
    Liquid Detail to Good

Lowering those gives up to 40 FPS depending on the location.

Happy 60 FPS.

2. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Actually in nighthold right now, 60FPS easy. It's amazing how much more detail there is.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You're out of touch of technicalities in question here.

OP asked if his 480 is binned.
    Nobody is referring to how the process of binning as in poor chips get labeled as lower end parts as the silicon is produced..
    Clearly the binning in question here is as in GPUs such as EVGA Classified cards or MSI lightning.

That is the process of picking the best, low leakage parts that OC well.
    The lower end parts generally do not see such a process, especially not $200 cards.
    This should have been quite obvious due to him asking about overclocking..

If you're gonna attack someone, at least have a clear understanding before you talk about something that doesn't matter.

Secondly, If you're talking about 1060 vs 480 in particular, 1060 is faster on average.
    OC vs OC 1060 is also a better edge in that regards including much better performance per watt.
    As for your future comment, 480 being in DX12 where it's fully utilized, funny thing is it performs roughly the same as a 1060 with significantly lower tflops.
    But like you said, that doesn't always relate to exact performance.
    Now, i have never said anything about 1060 being 'significantly' faster; they perform similar enough.
    You're just pulling that one out of your ass

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I'm sorry you feel like I'm attacking you, I'm not, I am criticising you however based on observations of your comments made in other threads on this same kind of discussion (such as in this thread for example http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5395931#post5395931)

I agree with you on the binning process, I was however replying to your comment in that it seemed that you implied that there was no binning occurring at all on these chips and just wanted to clarify that. There is basic binning occurring on the 480 line of cards as there would need to be for cards to be released with the differing boost speeds we see from various cards but perhaps not as extreme as we see as per your example.

5. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    So I've got this card up and running, but I have a small nagging issue, maybe you guys know what's going on here. When I wake the computer from sleep, there's snow on the screen (complete snow, no desktop whatsoever) for about 2 seconds, then it jumps right to the desktop like normal.

Anything I should be concerned about?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Can you post a screenshot of it?

May be a bug with ULPS(ultra low power state)

7. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    I can try my best. Not sure if the computer is waking fast enough to get a screen shot, but I can try to be quick with my phone at the very least.

I will say, it looks exactly like this - https://i.stack.imgur.com/MZRjR.jpg

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
  9. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    How are you finding your new card? And has the strange waking behaviour been a problem/have you managed to solve it?

10. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Card works great for the most part. Definitely accomplished what I wanted to with this upgrade.

Called their tech support, and they said the wake issues were because I was using DVI (uhhh... ok) and advised that I switch to HDMI. No wake issues anymore with HDMI, HOWEVER, my particular monitor has a bug where HDMI doesn't allow the monitor to sleep, it just goes to a royal blue screen that says "No HDMI signal" (or something of the sort). It's a known error with this model (asus vw266h) so I'm stuck with one of the two inconveniences until I change monitors.

I have a Dell 2408WFP I can use instead, so we'll see what happens.

11. user1

user1 Master Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Afaik the only offically binned rx480s are the sapphire nitro + oc cards. I don't think xfx claims to bin any of their rx480s.

12. MKube402

MKube402 Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire AMD RX-480 4G
    I have an RX480 4gb and WoW run at 60+ fps with all the settings turned up..

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    The 6GB GTX1060 is faster than the 3GB GTX1060. It's not always about the actual memory.

14. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 GameRock 2088/11000
    hardly noteworthy in wow particular since the gpu will be hardly caped those missing cuda cores wouldn't matter.