Video card sales again dropped compared to last year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 4, 2019.

1. illrigger

illrigger Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's not true. Consumers are paying the same for only slight performance improvements, outside of the 2080Ti. A 2080 costs the same as a 1080Ti and offers similar performance, same for the 2070/1080, and the 2060/1070Ti. The 1660Ti is actually a price drop when compared to the 1070 whose performance it matches. The difference lies in the fact that there is no $200 card yet, which traditionally is the sweet spot for most gamers. We can no doubt expect a cut down 1660 (with slightly above 1060 performance) to fill that gap shortly once part binning yields enough silicon to fill that role. The fact is, there's no difference in the market now than one year ago as far as price/performance goes.

The fact of the matter is, there's not a lot of market for high end video cards. Market saturation of the 4k gaming market where a 2080 or higher is needed is near zero, and the vast majority of gamers are playing at 1080p/60. For them, even a 1660Ti is overkill, and in the most popular games even a 1060 was delivering over 60fps consistently. Even Apex Legends (which is much more demanding than Fortnite) doesn't need more that a 1060/RX580 to get above 100fps at 1080. There's no significant market for higher end cards, so there's no incentive to drive prices down - basic supply and demand.

As for phones, you need to keep things in perspective. They are getting more powerful every year, but even this year's top-end iPad SOC (which is about 50% faster than any phones) is still competing with sub-$50 PC CPUs in terms of processing power - and that's with PC performance having basically stagnated in that space for a decade. Even with that, there's nothing that a phone or iPad that can do that needs anywhere near that much power - there's just no software that really takes advantage of it. The "large fluctuations" you talk about are little more that bragging rights that have little to no actual benefit to the platforms they support. In the end, what drives that market is hype, and that engine needs to keep running even if it doesn't actually mean anything.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I dunno, I think it depends on the app. Playing Fallout Shelter on my Galaxy S8+ is very different from my 2400G (using the iGPU) - slow and sluggish on the former and fast and fluid on the latter. The game is basically the same on both (they can both load the exact same save file), and when I'm at home I prefer to play on my PC since it's so much faster. It's one of the reason why I disregard those Geekbench scores that show mobile SOCs rivaling desktop CPUs - from what I've seen, it's not even close.

I think it's been mentioned before, but we won't see major improvements in GPUs until at least 7 nm, and even then we may need to wait for it to mature a bit. GPU die sizes are already rather ridiculous (at least for Nvidia GPUs) and trying to cram more transistors on the current process is an uphill battle. We all complain about RTX pricing but I don't think it's necessarily greed that they're priced so high - Nvidia need to price them as such to maintain margins.

The same can be said about smartphones. Despite the absurd price tag on the latest iPhone (and the latest high-end Android phones), Apple's profit margins are actually less than they were before. Companies aren't necessarily increasing prices just because of greed, but because they need to compensate for rising costs.

With the difficulties of creating smaller nodes, I think we can expect a general slowdown in the years to come. One promising alternative approach is to use chiplets like AMD is doing with Zen 2, but that isn't a perfect solution either. In this respect, it's sad how technologies like SLI have fallen by the wayside (perhaps DX12 can resurrect multi GPUs, but devs need to get on-board).

3. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well it had no effect on me as I did in fact buy an RTX card, and it was the 2080 Ti to boot. Overall, sales are down...everywhere.

4. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Nvidia gains Market Share ....

The add-in board market decreased in Q4'18 from last quarter, and Nvidia gained market share. Over $2.8 billion dollars of AIBs shipped in the quarter.
    Quarter-to-quarter graphics board shipments decreased by 10.7% and decreased by 40.2% year-to-year.

The market shares for the desktop discrete GPU suppliers shifted in the quarter too, Nvidia increased market share from last quarter, and Nvidia increased share from last year.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...arch-releases-its-q4-2018-add-in-board-report