Video card going bad?!?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mattymaxima, Dec 21, 2008.

1. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    Well I ran Memtest86 with each individual stick of my OCZ ram. Turns out that one of them was getting the errors and not the other. I put the good one in the other slot and tested just to make sure one of the slots wasnt bad and it was fine.

Hard drive light doesn't seem to be solid anymore as well which is good. I actually ran a Far Cry 2 bench with just the 2gb stick and my fps were about the same with the 4gb in, so I am sure that was the problem. Will be installing the G Skill PC8800 ddr2 1100 tomorrow or tues when they arrive and test them individually and hopefully, "knock on wood", they wont have any errors and will bench better than before my system took a dump.

Question for anyone here also. Would it benefit me at all to get another 2x2gb set of g skills. I only play games, browse, listen to movies/videos etc. I dont do any encoding or such on this pc. I thought I saw somewhere that 8GB was actually slower on games than 4gb?

Thanks

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    4 gigs is more than enough for what you'll be using them for. Most people are fine with 2 gigs for regular use but its good to have that extra ram and having Vista you'll need more than 2 gigs to run it efficiently. One reason why 8GB are a little slower is because of the trade off, more bandwidth, less speed. The defaults on an 8GB set the timings are more loose and there for slower in speed. You gain bandwidth but less response time. Thats why tightening timings to the lowest along with high clocks is what OCers aim for. (finding the sweet spot, just like GPU ocing.)

3. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    So everything is working just great with my 2gb stick right now except...

Since I took them out and reinstalled nvida control panel is showing no games installed! That information was stored in the memory then? And if so is there a fix or do I have to reinstall games in order for it to show or should I just change my Global settings each time now before games until I start installing no stuff again?

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    The game list only shows the games installed so there was probably a data deleted or something thats why your previous installed games are not showing up on there. You can just Add them back on but these are just game profiles and are settings you want for that specific game/program. So you can just uncheck 'Show only programs found on this computer' and add where your game is located (*.exe). So unless you want specific settings for each game then global settings should do just fine.

5. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    So if I get within ~50 points on Vantage and the same fps on Furmark with no hesitation with my 2 GB now compared to my 4gb before, can we rule out that the PSU is going bad?

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Well ram should be based on what you're gonna be using. If you do a lot of multimedia stuff such as video editing/3d programs etc... you will be using a lot of ram at the same time. Benchmark and games usually don't use up all the resources and something like vantage/3dmark definitely wont use more than 2gigs but the main components the program is benchmarking is the GPU and the CPU itself thats why even OCing the ram on the video card or OCing the ram on the computer will make slight difference. The most would probably OCing the CPU to get rid of any bottleneck a GPU has so it can use its full potential.

Tighter timings on the ram will also increase some points but not as much as CPU/GPU overclocking. If you had a benchmark that tests solely on those such as Prime95 or something that tests latency speeds with ram then you'll see the difference.

So you can say that ram is just there for resources. If the program uses up all the resources then you will have stuttering and lag issues. If you have a lot of resources then you wont have those problem. But as far as getting benchmark points then you have to OC the main components and ram will just be support.