video board

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guest, Feb 27, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

i want to buy a graphic board (16mb)my system is 233,64mb ram,3,2hdd what do you think? should i buy a 3dfx based bord or a nvidia based one?

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    It's up to you really.<BR>3Dfx cards offer greater speed while nVidia cards have better texture resolution.But if you can afford it , buy a Voodoo5 pci version that have the excellent voodoo speed and the resolution of nVidia.

3. Jeff

Jeff Guest

I think the best value right now in a video card is either the Voodoo 3 2000 or 3000. I have seen the Voodoo 3 2000 (new) as low as $77 and the 3000 as low as $116. There are still a good # of glide titles out there so a 3DFX based card is important. Another question to ask yourself is what resolution do you mostly use. Some of the higher end Nvidias are really only benificial if you run higher than 1024x768.What will your monitor support?

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    That's true .If you intend to use resolutions of1024*768 or higher you should consider buying a card that can work at that resolution with speed.I think that Voodoo3 is designed to have optimum performance at 1024*768.

5. Voodoo FAN

Voodoo FAN Guest

this goes against my principles, but in your case i think a geforce based card will be better than a voodoo, since it consumes less cpu resources.