VIA Zhaoxin x86 4 and 8-core processors launched

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    28nm @2.0Ghz.
    Bro, they're dead at start.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    They will be BGA processors. It was stated earlier in the thread. BGA means NO socket at all. They're essentially embedded processors.

3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I have a feeling it would be prudent to not dismiss VIA's return so quickly for a few reasons. First of all, this is a test of the market more than anything, which is why i'd wager they went with a VERY mature (to be kind) and inexpensive manufacturing process. Much of the general public is computer illiterate, at least compared to anyone reading Guru3d.com, and if presented with the option to chose a netbook or all-in-one system (or mini) at a price point that is quite a bit lower than low end AMD offerings, they may end up turning a profit on this venture. If they do, i'd expect their next offering to be on a much more current manufacturing process and higher clock speeds.
    Secondly, this is just an assumption, but I have a feeling that these products are going to be sold and marketed not to places where most of us live, but to the developing world where most people have never owned a computer or had to save for many years to buy one if they did. Much of the world doesn't live like we do in North America and Europe. Take a look at the median household income of countries around the world and you'll see what i'm talking about. Products like these are exactly what is needed to bring the such countries into the modern world.
    Lastly, some people just want to browse the internet and lose IQ points by posting on facebook and twitter all day, and if they can save some money by going with an even cheaper PC, these will sell just fine. Most people out there buy technology based on how much cash they have in their wallet after buying a burger and fries and could care less if the CPU is made by Intel, AMD, or VIA.

4. artk2219

artk2219 Member

GPU:
    AsusR9 390 DirectCU
    Socket 370 for the P3 was the last time that this happened. Due to an agreement with Intel, they were able to release their first gen CPU's on socket 370, i think that agreement expired in like 2007, so since then they have been releasing their own platforms.

kruno likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If used in mobile system, those real 8C chips will crush Any Fake cored Atoms.
    And 4C/4T will deliver around 65% of intel's mobile 2C/4T chips. 8C/8T will be comparable to ~65% of intel's mobile 4C/8T chips.

That's far from bad if OS reacts smoothly without delays and price is right. Issue of 2C/4T chips lies in it's inability to deal with one hogging thread (Firefox animation cause it at any time).
    So, more separate cores are more resilient to this. I am sure that 8C/8T mobile chip at 2GHz can prove to be incomparably better than 2C/4T in great many practical scenarios matching average PC user.
    As simple thing as having 10+ browser tabs open, YT playing, excel open and working on it. It is already something where 2C/4T runs out of breath.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Depending on the price (aka what the laptop or etc. whole price is) and depending on how the 2Ghz would actually perform, i would potentially go with an 8-core VIA over a 4-core Intel i3 or higher and AMD 4-core Ryzen. Most programs don't need a lot of single-core performance to work just fine, however having more cores definitely helps the PC feel more responsive.

It wouldn't be something i'd buy for the purpose of using "intense" programs of any kind, but a laptop for laptops sake, would probably be quite nice.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    To build x86 CPUs, you need a license from Intel. I wonder how much that cost them.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    If i remember well they still have x86 licence but they can not sell it /transfer it , if i am wrong correct me though

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    VIA obtained their x86 license to design/develop x86 CPUs when they purchased Cyrix. Cyrix was a fab-less CPU company and their license was transferred to VIA. To produce an 86x64 (AMD64) compatible CPU, they need a license from AMD the same as Intel did. (both "EM64T" and "Intel 64" are actually "AMD64" and are covered by a cross-license agreement between AMD and Intel) So, to actually compete with AMD and Intel properly, VIA needs an x86 license from Intel and an 86x64 license from AMD, as does the company actually fabricating the chips.