vga or hdmi to scart rgb with latest nvidia driver support....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Nerboruto, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    does anyone know any system to connect a geforce with latest drivers to an old tv via rgb scart?
    around there are cheap adapters but they don't support rgb only composite conversion...
    does anyone know a cheap method that has good quality?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont think there many options around still, i would say check monoprice i bought i dont think they have scart stuff

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    In the case that its a modern geforce card that lacks proper vga support, You don't have many options, I don't think anyone makes a proper hdmi to rgb scart cable/adapter, really old video cards used to support Compsync natively, so you could just just a dumb vga to scart cable
    [​IMG]
    . Today you'd most likely have to do a custom solution for proper support since vga adapters/dacs don't bother supporting comp sync.

It is also possible that multiple adapters would work.

for a little more detail , the its the sync signal(s) that have to be dealt with, Vga typically has 2 , Hsync and Vsync , Scart and some very old monitors use a combined Compsync wire , and component puts those signals on green, there exist chips to separate or combine these these signals, so Its not impossible. I think your best bet would be an hdmi to component , since those are common, and then finding an older component to scart adapter, which usually have a chip to separate the sync Signals from the green wire .

there might exist vga to scart adapters that do this conversion too(Hsync+Vsync > Compsync leaving rgb intact), but I think they would be almost impossible to find/ identify easily.

6. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    i have cards with dvi output and vga adapter.
    drivers lack compsync support so I have to understand if by creating the resolution with the correct parameters it is possible to drive a crt tv.
    do you think that by modifying a cheap adapter it is possible to add rgb signals?
    it seems to me that even the scart must be modified with a voltage on a pin to make the tv understand to switch to rgb.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    when I mean compsync, I mean the physical connection, I don't think nvidia has had compsync hooked up on their vga connectors since the the 8000 series, maybe even before that, Also the nvidia driver doesn't support interlaced modes on vga anymore anyway. they only support them on hdmi, which limits your options. modified cables are possible, thought you would almost certainly be better off just making one yourself, since you can do all the wiring and make sure everything is correct. You will need some kind of hdmi to analog adapter , that much is certain.

edit:
    so basically these exist, they appear to be used mainly for arcade cabinets https://www.arcadexpress.com/en/inici/515-ycbcr-ypbpr-to-rgbs-scart-video-converter.html
    pricey, but it is the correct adapter, so if you were to combine it with a cheap adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/Component-Converter-Adapter-Support-Projector/dp/B09KTZWYXZ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=33MWVVKYYB4UL&keywords=hdmi+to+component&qid=1660860958&sprefix=hdmi+to+component,aps,146&sr=8-10

you would keep full rgb and the colorspace should even be converted correctly(little to no need for manual adjustment).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  8. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    I believe the construction of the cable doesn't work because vga bios/driver limits parameters for modeline resolutions,
    in fact I see that there are old vga cards with modified bios that drive the cables.
    I was hoping someone had solved the problem in an inexpensive way ...

I have examined an adapter that my father uses to connect hdmi via scart to a recorder ... obviously the quality is bad since it works in composite.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    so it
    I did some more digging, You should be able to buy a cheap hdmi to vga adapter for like 10-15 dollars, and then use a probably constructed cable like this https://hackaday.io/project/165634-the-ultimate-vga-to-scart-adapter/details
    , which would be inexpensive, but will require some work, You should be able to produce the custom modes required so long as its via hdmi, since it maintains legacy interlaced signal support for tvs. this is probably the cheapest and perhaps the best solution , but it requires alot more work than using the hdmi>component>scart adapter combo.

10. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    i found this that might be interesting, in case it is just composite you could try to modify the circuit for rgb output. it could be coupled to a simple and cheap hdmi to vga adapter. I asked for information, let's see if they answer me from china.
    Convertitore VGA A SCART AUDIO VIDEO USB Adattatore di segnale infrarosso sistema di televisione nazionale COMITATO PAL SECAM per PC | eBay

the cable with the pic 16c would perhaps also be valid. maybe if I could find something in a pre-assembled kit.