VERY annoying issue with HDMI resolution/output on a LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by coldfirenj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    Hello all! I've been dealing with a very annoying issue. I have dual GTX 680's in SLI with two ASUS VW246H monitors. The monitor that uses the DVI output has always has noticeably better picture quality compared to other using the HDMI output. The blacks are noticeably better and the quality is just better all around.

So, I thought I'd finally found the issue. When I changed the HDMI Display resolution in Nvidia control panel from "1080P 1920 x 1080 native HD, SD" to 1920 x 1080 PC the quality became 100% improved on my monitor. But, the setting will not stick and it reverts back to 1080P HD, SD. How can I keep the PC resolution?? I've been pulling my hair out. 1080P looks all washed out...

I tried creating a custom resolution but it will not let me replace the default for 1920 x 1080. I'm running on 1600x1200PC now and it does work/stick...

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

2. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Yeah this is a driver bug Nvidia will never fix. Create a custom resolution, leave everything the same but set timing to manual and add a .001 variance to the refresh rate, so set it to 60.001 if your refresh rate is 60Hz.

3. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    Really? Wow... Amazing that you can pay $500 for a video card and it doesn't even output the correct resolution. My Radeon 4550 had better desktop IQ by a wide margin. All games look washed out with the HDMI resolution "bug". You can't enter a decimal when making a custom resolution unless I'm missing something. I guess I can make one with 59Hz but honestly I'm running that now and it doesn't look great. Am I missing something with the timing config?

4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Under timing you change it from standard to manual then where it says 60.000Hz just press the little up arrow once.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

5. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    Thank you all! The custom config worked and things are looking much better. But... the Crysis 3 beta is now crashing on my. It doesn't freeze or lock up it just exits to the desktop abruptly. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it... my temps don't go over 60* and my OC is very small (and was 100% stable all day yesterday playing). Could the crashing be related to the custom resolution possibly?

6. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I've not had a problem with games crashing using a custom resolution but try Crysis 3 using a standard res and see if it stops crashing.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I've had that problem before. It's overscanning. It has to do with EDIDs. You need to override the EDID flags for the monitor connected via HDMI. I used to know how to do that prior to the 2xx ForceWare drivers, but now, I couldn't find a solution.

If you do, then do know that it has to be solved by the Nvidia drivers skipping EDID readings and forcing a proper 1920 x 1080p 60Hz signal with the proper frequencies. I used to tinker with the registry, a key called "OverrideEDIDFlags" (now it's not there...at least, I couldn't find it).

You might find RefreshLock (or the like), and especially PowerStrip, helpful (the latter is very very very powerful, but you need to know how to work with it).

Do tell us if you wind up with any solutions.

EDIT: I think what you need is a permanent fix. What about other games crashing, or wrecking the IQ again?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Beta software is intended for testing purposes. There is no guarrantee that beta software will run properly.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

9. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    @skozis Thanks... I'm the senior network admin for a soft dev company so I am indeed familiar with beta software. I played the Crysis 3 beta about 3 hours last night without issue. Today, after I changed to the custom resolution it crashed to the desktop 3x within an hour. I'm thinking that's more than a coincidence? Will need to test more tonight... Its still crazy that this is a "bug" in the first place. It looks like this has been a well known bug for a LONG time... what the hell is Nvidia doing?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Unfortunately, not all bugs can be fixed...and some bugs aren't considered a big enough issue to fix.

As for beta software... I've had beta software that seemed to work better than the final release build...and I've had beta software that randomly crashed for no explainable reason. That's just the nature of software development and testing.

11. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    I think this would meet the criteria of an important bug that needs to be fixed. Considering most people use LCD monitors & 1920 x 1080 resolution... I bet many people don't even realize what they're missing. Like I said earlier I'd been enjoying better desktop IQ from a $45 discreet AMD card.

12. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    @ Supertribble will continue testing and report back... Putting the Crysis crashes aside things are MUCH better with your fix.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    From a consumer viewpoint, yes, it is a big issue. Unfortunately, nVidia doesn't seem to see it that way. The most common connection types for LCD's are D-Sub and DVI as every LCD has at least one of the 2. Multi-Display configurations are a niche... Unfortunately, they focus on issues that effect the greatest number of people first and the fewest last and even then it's in order of what they deem the most important to fix.