Version 419.17 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DooGie, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I've noticed the same thing I think. My system is rock solid stable, I never have the issues I see posted in these threads and all my games work without issue using 1080TI SLI.

Except recently Deep Rock Galactic updated their UE4 engine. I went from 50 hours no issues to every second game crashing. It wasn't a BSOD -- the game just freezes, and alt-tabbing doesn't remove the game displaying.

The only other element to change at about the same time was upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers (starting wit the version before these - first 4.19 version? Can't remember).

Then I tried out Mutant: Road to Eden last night. Playing through the first level, 10 minutes in it freezes and game locks up -- exact same issue as Deep Rock Galactic. Lo and behold, it's also UE4.

All other games no problems. And just a quick note -- it's not SLI as it's not being used in either game, both games are using single card.

Is it UE4 or the last couple of drivers? I've never had a need to rollback, but if it's the drivers, maybe there's a first time for everything :)

@ManuelG -- is this a known issue?

XenthorX likes this.
  2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I don't know why but setting to max performance causes stuttering in some games for me. Leaving it at default is much smoother. Never had this problem when I was on a 1080ti, actually it was the opposite.

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Strange! If I was you I'd try using the latest version of DDU (downloaded from Guru3d) to remove all traces of current & previous NVidia drivers, then install the latest NVidia driver. Maybe your NVidia driver install is bad.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I don't know if this has been posted here but there is a security setting in NVCP under desktop>developer tools which by default is off.

To enable the option will allow you to disable GPU performance counters unless admin credentials are provided. I don’t know why it’s set to the insecure variant by default… but the setting can be toggled in the NVIDIA Control Panel. On Windows, it’s Desktop then Enable Developer Settings then Manage GPU Performance Counters under Developer then Restrict access to the GPU counters to admin users only

Robbo9999 likes this.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Because there are software which is using them.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Do you know of any popular ones?
    I first thought something like monitoring software or MSI AB would be affected but seems fine.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Windows 10? Aren't they using perfcounters for Task Manager GPU info? In any case, the biggest reason why they are set to "insecure" by default is because there are no malware using this hole in the wild I guess.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Task manager works, GPU%

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I thought the same for a while, thinking programs like GPUz wouldn't work, but they all work still with that Developer option restricted to "Admin Only".

10. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 UV
    r420 in april? :)

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    This might sound dumb, but I am Admin, so it wouldn't effect anyway, not a user account.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yeah, good point, I'm admin too. I'm thinking though the "admin only" restriction might imply that it would need to trip & pass the UAC aspect of Windows (rather than just allowing any old program that doesn't trip UAC to access the timers) - I get UAC prompts still even when I use an admin account. So, I think UAC is the barrier for protection in this instance, but I'm not sure on this.

EDIT: you could test it by creating a standard user account (non admin), and then seeing if you load sensor monitoring programs like GPUz & HWinfo. I do also remember reading the NVidia published detailed info on this security aspect (it's an external link buried somewhere in the driver release notes), and I think they only listed about 3 seperate programs where this was relevant, which were "developer related programs" that queried the timers, so maybe it's only applicable to security issues associated with use of those programs, I'm a bit confused about the exact nature of this security vulnerability so it may not even be related to sensor monitoring that we do of our GPUs using common tools like GPUz & HWInfo & Windows Task Manager.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  13. scaramonga

scaramonga Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3 W/C
    Back to r399 hopefully by end of March :), and permanently. No move forward!

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I actually reverted back to defaults. I was just curious if it affected any apps I use.

15. phixionsvk

phixionsvk New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 1060 / 6 GB
    Hi.
    I have a problem with installing these drivers. Installer says there is no compatible hardware. Laptop MSI PS63 with 1050 Max-Q.
    Can anyone help what to do? Do I need to edit some inf files to install these?

Hardware identification:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&SUBSYS_126C1462&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&SUBSYS_126C1462
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&CC_030200
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&CC_0302

Thanks

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've had gpu's pass all those tests and fail on Elder scrolls. different loads, different failure types.

17. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Latest info is talking about a newer version 419.35 some time today so keep an eye on that guys! :)

18. peppercute

peppercute Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    endbase likes this.
  19. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
  20. peppercute

peppercute Master Guru

GPU: