Version 419.17 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DooGie, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I changed in the Global Settings from Optimal to Adaptive, and used HWInfo64 to monitor the power usage of my GPU while idle and internet browsing - it was an average of 10.5W of GPU power consumption in both cases, so no power savings between the two, therefore I've decided to keep it on Adaptive. Perhaps it will be more responsive in Adaptive rather than Optimal for desktop stuff, not that I've noticed issues either way, can't tell any difference so far.

Ultra Male likes this.
  2. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    Word of warning for those who use 1/2 refresh vsync (via NVInspector); this driver breaks the feature on the rig where I use it -- RTX2070 attached to a QLED TV that only does 1440p at 120Hz (no 60Hz, 100Hz, etc., hence the need for 1/2 refresh). Rolling back to 418.91 fixed the issue. I hope they aren't sunsetting this feature.

3. Txatxiquesi

Txatxiquesi New Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 Mini.
    NVIDIA released a security update for the NVIDIA GPU Display Driver software to patch eight security issues that could lead to code execution, escalation of privileges, denial of service, or information disclosure on both Windows and Linux machines.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4772

Vidik likes this.
  4. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Effectively a non-stable oc can cause that service to restart.
    I suggest you tune your cpu's overclock, or remove it to verify that this is the souurce of the problem.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    There are some use-cases where Optimal screws up, particularly if you have pretty variable GPU load, because the GPU goes into lower clocks more aggressively in Optimal Power mode.

This can be observed quite commonly if you use a FPS cap, since the work is more "spiky" then (it renders a frame, then waits some time until the next one is supposed to be done), or something like video rendering with madVR which always has to render to a specific output frame rate - ie. there is a lot of waiting for the GPU, and then a burst of heavy work. The aggressive downclocking in Optimal Power mode can cause rendering time spikes which make it miss its designed timeslot, which results in frametime spikes - or in the case of madVR, dropped frames. This is well documented for madVR, and using Adaptive can very often cure performance problems with it.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I can confirm that this is the case for me on 418 and 419 branch (using G-sync as a cap) but not on 417 where Optimal works way better. I also didn't have this problem on my 1080Ti, only on my 2080Ti.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    That's to be expected as a faster card will idle and downclock more than a slower one.

8. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780
    I think I had a "Timeout Detection and Recovery" because the overclock to my CPU was bad/unstable. Right after my system freeze in chrome due a bad/unstable overclock to CPU, "Timeout Detection and Recovery" just starting to act, and I got a driver stopped working and recovered ?

I mean "Timeout Detection and Recovery" it can be because of CPU overclock right ?

9. EvArty777

EvArty777 New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI's
    Something with your PC then because I've had 0 issue's with any 418/419 drivers. Might have to DDU and/or possible reinstall Windows.

10. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Just a TIP for those who have issues with driver updates..
    If you want to play your games with no issues, (99%, there is always 1% possibility the driver to be a bad one so rollback), always use DDU (in safe mode), to wipe out the previous driver, restart, install the new package and optimize your game profiles (for those with SLI they have to re enable it), according to your needs and then play! Any other way will cause possible issues or crashes or instabilities and will give the user the wrong idea about the performance/stability of a driver. I personally use that method all the time with minimum or no issues at all most of the times. I also use MSI mode on my setups to improve latency on my GPU.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019

11. EvArty777

EvArty777 New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI's
    Yes if you have WHEA error and even in some situations you could get no WHEA errors but still have issues. Go back to the basics example: Back down the overclock and see if it stops happening, if it does then you got your answer. Not saying cannot overclock just get it stable first.

12. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Give me your graphic card and no point using SLI.

13. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 AMP
    With this driver my web browser or any program open resizes to my second screen which is a Dell 1280x1024 when it wakes up from suspend my main screen is Samsung 32JG5X and set as 1 in multi displays ?

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I continue to get TDR's in chromium with recent drivers and this is no exception. Only this time I can see it recorded as an error in event log.

15. NyanOverlord

NyanOverlord Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060
    I've noticed that "Maximum performance" mode isn't really helping in Anthem - I don't like that the FPS fluctuates between 80 and 100 so I tried to play with vsync on.

My RTX2060 clocks jumps up and down all the time in that gamem causing frequent drops below 60. Tried different drivers/DDU, nothing helps.

As as another example - BFV and Inquisition both are just fine with VSync and 2060 clocks are always high.

Weird.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Maximum performance mode will set you GPU on top boost clocks disregarding the current load. If you see the card downclocking then you haven't enabled Max Perf properly.

Note that endabling Max perf mode doesn't mean that you'll always have stable 60 fps in some game.

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Gurus, especially those with an FTW3 1080Ti using the stock cooler, please check your fans under load! I've used all drivers (other than vulkan) between 416.94 and 419.17, but only this set gave me serious fan issues. I finished clean installing these after a safe mode DDU, went to play the new Trials game and noticed I was getting some major FPS drop and stutter. Played until it was making me wreck, exited the game and checked my MSIAB stats. My card was hitting 84C and downclocking like a madman, so I look in my case and see that only 1 fan is spinning. Load up Heaven, GPU shoots straight to 84C with the 1 fan quietly spinning away.

I then set to figure it out, by uninstalling MSIAB. No luck, still 1 fan. Tried old 4.5.0 MSIAB, no luck. Tried DDU again and clean driver install, no luck. Tried the BIOS switch on my GPU (yes, restarts and shutdown between BIOS switching), no luck. Even with the manual fan control in MSIAB and EVGA Precision X, only the 1 fan would spin. Any actually taxing game (I tried Civ VI, Witcher 3 and Forza Horizon 4) basically crashes in less than a minute. I chose a random driver (417.71 I think?) and all is well on that for now.

18. NyanOverlord

NyanOverlord Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060
    It seems that I've enabled it properly:
    [​IMG]
    I've hit Apply and all. Game is running of the .exe file that is used in the Control Panel

And this is in-game with VSync on:
    [​IMG]

1365MHz...and it fluctuates. Then I hit some heavy scene, clocks jump up and FPS drops for a moment or so.

I should be able to run this game @ stable 60 since it never drops below 75 with VSync off.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I think it's related to Turing cards since I didn't have any problems on my 1080Ti with the 418.81 driver.

EvArty777 likes this.
  20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Which means that it's not enabled. Try enabling it globally. Also check what window mode you're running the game and try switching from exclusive to borderless and vice versa.