1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vermintide 2 DX12 vs DX11

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Kolt, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well you might have just gotten your wish :D This post from a Microsoft employee implies that DirectXR requires Shader Model 6.0 to run. So if this is true, Metro Exodus will be the first Shader Model 6.0 game, also making it the first true native DX12 title.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well, for the DX12 pathway to be truly effective, requires sacrificing the DX11 pathway. The reason why DX12 shake is because it's usually bolted on as a backend renderer to a primarily DX11 based engine. That's why the Microsoft DX12 games perform so much better, even though they are still not truly DX12 native.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    What I’ve noticed is that pretty much every game that offers both API’s usually runs worse in DX12, with maybe Rise of The Tomb Raider being the exception, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with native DX12 games however, games like Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3 (although bad at launch), Forza Motorsport 7 have all ran really well for me.

Problem I’m seeing is that with a lot of people still clinging on to Windows 7 there’s very little incentive for developers to put a huge amount of resources into optimising their games for DX12.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Should we expect new gen hardware (Turin, Navi, etc) to significantly improve DX12 performance?

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Expect? No, I don't think so. As in DX12 perf. in particular.

It's more up to implementation I think so up to devs.
    Ofc if a game is GPU limited in DX11 it will be in DX12 too as that's hardware limit.

We can hope for some DX12 tweaks though, maybe optimized schedulers or such. Time will tell.