Venice 3000+ FSB limit?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Weed Man, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Weed Man

Weed Man New Member

GPU:
    Gf 6600 256
    I have ened up with ram at 266mhz, 3x HTT multi, and 287 HTT at rock stable. The temp under prolonged full load is 45 C. But, If I try to go to 288, it won't boot at ALL. At least if it booted and was unstable I'd say ok, but why go from rock solid at 287 to completely wont boot at 288?? any one have ideas?

BTW i have a 300 watt Zahlman PSU, (which im thinking is it), but still the question remains why go from rock solid to complete no-go when upping by 1 mhz?
    :mad:

2. Pon

Pon Member Guru

GPU:
    Pixelview 6600GT
    It might just be that specific speed... Have you tried 289? Because that happened to me at a very low speed.

3. Weed Man

Weed Man New Member

GPU:
    Gf 6600 256
    Hmm, you might be right. I did, however, try 290 and it didn't work. I'll experiment with different values to see what will happen. I hope you're right

4. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    try putting your ram at ddr400 or below and souly going for the fsb... but it can possibly be the limit i mean everything has to have a limit and whats to stop it from being 288... but if i were you id definatlly seak a better psu.. my limit would be 400watts but i say 500 to be safe i went for the neopower 480w dual 12v rails.. it works perfect and holds very stable

5. Weed Man

Weed Man New Member

GPU:
    Gf 6600 256
    Nope, that didn't work. I tried all sorts of stuff like 289, 290, 291, 300, 296, no go.

What could be keeping the FSB from going higher than 287?

Also the ram has been at 266, but yeah I'm thinking the PSU isn't handling it! I mean what else could cause such strangeness

6. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    no idea my a8n sli gets steadily worse so it could realy be the psu im using a 480 noisetaker max out at around 312 btw

7. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    There are various factors regarding the same. It could simply be limit of that CPU. It can be limit of that perticular motherboard chipset. It can be bcoz you need to up the voltage supplied to CPU.
    And every chip is different. And ya thats classical. CPU may boot at 286 and simply refulse to boot at 287. Happens. Thats the limit at that perticular setting of CPU/voltage/ram.
    By the way what stepping is that CPU?
    This is what max my would do on air.
    [​IMG]

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Since you are running a divider, obtainable HTT depends upon the board. What chipset voltage are you running? Is the nforce4 chipset passively cooled?

Near 2.6GHz is good anyway, but have you upped the vcore at all? Funky is right, you could well be near the limit of the CPU in terms of attainable clock speed.

9. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    If you can post the screenshot of CPU-Z. Both CPu and memory.

10. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    they say it all the time you can get simliar hardware but its always gonna run diffrent like i said earlier it is probably your limit..

11. Weed Man

Weed Man New Member

GPU:
    Gf 6600 256
    Chipset voltage is 1.5, CPU is 1.4. The Nfoce4 chipset is passively cooled, but to the touch it hardly seems warm after prolonged heavy load - temps never go above 30ish.

I have tried upping the vcore, chipset, and ram voltage, to no avail. Also tried decreasing the multiplier to 8 concurrently with all these things, and loosen the memory but it seems none of these things are involved.

here is the CPUId screenshots
    [​IMG]

BTW Wildstyle/ThundA, I love your OC guide. Just wish i could follow it

12. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    3.1 Ghz? HMFG that's impressive. Codus to you!

13. Weed Man

Weed Man New Member

GPU:
    Gf 6600 256
    Alright I'm eventually going to try 4 things in this order to see if FSB will go higher than 287:

1: Try swapping my 1 gig OCZ stick with 2x512 sticks of something else (corsair xms maybe) and see what happens

2: Put in a better (more powerful) power supply

3: swap CPU with another identical one and see what happens

4: Swap motherboard with another (identical? or other) to see what happens.

This way, I'll be able to determine exactly wtf is going on here

Funkymonkey, that's an insane overclock, I can't believe how much this processor is able to handle. (at least yours!)