Vehicles of Guru3D

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by -Ruin-, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Being a Smart owner... i have to say you should probably look into some information about both the Smart, and about traffic accidents.

For one... yes... that video was quite brutal, but also isn't really any form of actual crash safety test i've ever seen. Not to mention that in such a crash you'd be more likely to die from internal bleeding due to the basically 70mph-0mph deceleration in less than a second than you would be alive and worrying about the possible loss if your legs.

Two, even the IIHS frontal offset crash they did with the Mercedes C-class i believe wasn't a required crash test... so much so that they actually call it a "non-standard frontal offset crash". I believe they said that the reason they call it as such is because that scenario happens in less than 1% of all traffic accidents.

Three, Yes, there isn't much of a crumple zone.... but they have done some extra bits to help make the driver safe during a crash.... such as a seatbelt tension limiter, which gently eases up on the tension of the seatbelt in a crash to try to prevent injuring the chest with the seatbelt, and a collapsible steering wheel to give the driver extra room.

Four... you're also looking at the deceleration from the crash into the concrete wall.... or any equal/heavier weight object, in what seems like a completely one-sided fashion. Yes, technically due to the Smart's small crumple zone, there is very little time between the initial impact, and the deceleration to 0mph. But even with the larger car crashing into the wall at 70mph, the deceleration is negligibly better at best. You'd still more than likely be dead from internal injury either way.

Figured i'd find and download those pictures of the guy's Smart that was in an accident that i mentioned.... to show you the difference between a car hitting a brick wall that has no crumple whatsoever, and a car hitting any vehicle, which can also deform.

Keep in mind... this wasn't a Smart hitting a Chevy Aveo or Toyota Fit or some crappy car like that.... this was a Smart hitting an SUV broadside at 50mph with no chance to hit the brakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the one you might find more surprising... in regards to your comment about there being no legs left....

[​IMG]

No noticable intrusion into the footwells.... or even into the cabin at all, really. That's the accident he walked away from without a scratch, opening the door as if nothing had happened. As far as i can tell, the only thing that really happened to the inside besides the airbags was the instrument cluster popping off.... which can be done by hand, too.... and was probably just jarred free during the impact. Extremely short wires, so it doesn't have any chance of going anywhere far. The mirror also seems to be on the passenger seat. As for the piece of black plastic on the passenger seat... i'm not exactly sure, but that kinda looks like it COULD BE part of the ventliation system for the heat/AC, above and in front of where the passenger's feet would be. But it kinda seems more likely that it was a chunk from under the "hood" of the car that snapped off and was thrown into the car so it wouldn't be lying on the street or something. kinda looks like it has some discoloration from some kind of dirt or dust. Doesn't look very shiny black to be something inside the car where nothing would come in contact with it.

I may sound like i'm biased towards the Smart or something... but as he put it.... "you don't believe how safe it is until you're actually in an accident with it."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.