Vehicles of Guru3D

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by -Ruin-, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    [​IMG] my current car pretty much i love the interior its nicely done doesn't feel cheap :D

my next car
    [​IMG]
    im so gonna buy it with amemiya bodykit.... :D and if it breaks foook et i dont care my dream car for like too many years. 2012 cant come soon enough

after i get rx-7 is time for c4 to be changed into DS4

[​IMG]

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Are 2-stroke ones dead ? Cant see new 250cc+ ones at the market. :(
    I do like the smell of 2-stroke ones. Also loads of power at high rpm's from relatively small engines. Some years ago 250cc 2-stroke had about as much power as 450cc 4-stroke, not sure how it's now.

(Dont get me wrong, would be happy to have either of those, dont have any off-road bike)

But, good to see some bikes in this thread, no new pictures of my bike though. Old ones are here: http://forum.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3849873&postcount=1133

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh dear lord, started pulling things apart today and the state of the timing belt... I have no words. The worst belt I've ever seen. It's a miracle that it hasn't snapped yet! Previous owner lied about changing it, it would seem. Oh well. I'll get some photos of it tomorrow.

Changed 12 out of 16 valve seals so far, without taking the top off. The old ones are rock hard and very hard to pull off.

4. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    680 FTW+ 4GB OC
    ...why would you go back to a Citroen after having an FD? That's like going back to a Geo Metro from a Mercedes S class

PS; I hope you realize a good FD costs about $15,000 USD and the RE Amemiya body kits (there are many different kits) aren't easy or cheap to get a hold of.

Last edited: May 28, 2011

5. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    The cat: "Chargin mah lazors"
    [​IMG]
    I thought this pic was funny, somehow. :nerd:

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    oh im not getting rid of FD it will be my summer car :)
    and good FD costs some 10 000-13 000€ here, and amemiya kit is around 4000€ delivered (the one i was looking at):D was planning on getting one straight from japan since we got few companies that bring jdm cars.
    and yea i know quite a bit about the prices and whatnot i've been only looking into FD's for 7 years.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    This only applies if you're talking about vehicles that run with stock (or close to it) motors.
    My '74 Stingray can't run even for a minute on anything less that 120 octane blue AvGas because it pings really bad on anything with less octane, but it's also built up ALOT.

It sounded like a timing issue to me when you first described it. Detonation doesn't occur on it's own for no reason.

But don't get too down just yet - it could be that the cylinder that wasn't firing just has a build-up of oil in it. This happens all the time in engines when a plug doesn't fire for quite some time... you might just find that if you put a new plug in (make sure it's gapped accordingly) and fire it up, the smoke goes away after a couple minutes.
    HOWEVER, I definitely suggest putting a compression gauge on that cylinder and test it for leaks. If there's a problem in there, that will show you right then and there. Again, if you've got water in your oil or oil in your water, then you're looking at a blown head gasket or a crack on the head itself, but you've not indicated any of that, so here's to hoping you've got it licked now!!

Good luck Man,
    Psychlone

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah I see what you mean, I was just talking about general cars. Your Vette is a monster not of this earth, and I'm sure you have it set up really high compression or something for maximum power.

9. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Just brought my first "real" car today for traveling around uni next year- it was a Peugeot 107 City Lite new @ £5.5k - think I got a bit of a bargain for what I need as a very inexpensive run around car. Sadly I have to wait till august to post pics of the real one :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  10. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Personally I'd take the 3 series interior over the C.
    I find the surrounding materials nicer in the 3. Like when you feel the doors, handles, center console (like where the shifter is).

Radio/temperature control looks a bit sparse in the 3 ... but so is the C (albeit not quite as much), so what evz.

edit : ever notice that the LCD in the 3 series stereo is polarized? Try wearing polarized glasses, if you aim them wrong the LCD display will 'disappear'.

-scheherazade

11. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Why do Americans have 8L engines and the majority of their cars still use carburettors?

Do you guys swim in gas/petrol?

12. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    What...

You'd be hard pressed to find a car in the United States with an 8L displacement engine.

Carburetors haven't been used since the 80's, very few cars since then have been made with one. It's all injection, just like everywhere else....

You're horribly misinformed

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Almost finished rebuilding my rear suspension, just a bit more paint and a driveshaft to deal with and then I can start on the front :bugeye:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Aren't all LCDs polarized?

The Ford Festiva used a carburetor until 1990. I don't think those were actually Ford vehicles but sold under the name.

Many American cars had carburetors throughout the 1980s and virtually all had carbs in the 1970s.

Cadillac had the largest domestic engine in a standard production passenger vehicle @ 500cid (8.2L) until the Dodge Viper upped the V10 displacement to 505 (I think it was 505cid). The 500 was used from 1970 to 1976 and could have been ordered with a crude by today's standards, Bendix fuel injection system.

The days where passenger cars had large displacement engines are over for the most part (you can still get them in some vehicles--but not the same sizes as was once normal). They were designed in a time when technology and efficiency did not allow a small 6 cylinder or even a small block 8 cylinder engine to produce the power needed to push a 5000lb car.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  15. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Thanks for the correction. I was just generalizing though, but I didn't know carbs stayed around well into the 80's.

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    yea. I know that from personal experience. my '87 Wrangler had a carb with it's V6.... and still does now with it's V8, mostly because conversions to fuel injection are f*cking expensive. Although it might help fuel economy a bit...

17. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Im not misinformed and I know too much about cars since not only Im an "enthusiast" but also study Mechanics Engineering.

I phrased myself wrongly but what I meant is, why do American cars, read NOT CARS MADE IN AMERICA but cars used there, have huge engine displacements versus the engine displacements on the rest of Europe?

I'm not talking about exotic/super car engines, I'm talking about regular drive me to the store cars and doesn't have to be pickups, trucks, minivans...

18. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    It's definitely true to a certain extent still.

There seem to be hardly any cars on the market with less than 2l engines for example - and what's regarded as a 'compact' is rather amusing by European standards.

They're just very different markets. I saw an F-150 the other day and it's just laughably huge, and that's regarded as a relatively small truck I believe?

Not sure what it is really - but what's expected over here compared to the US is very different. Nobody here would buy a car with a 4l V6 with 220hp and a 3 speed automatic, just as you probably wouldn't shift many superminis with a 1 litre engine over there.

I've -never- seen the bulk of American domestic cars over here. Probably because a huge barge is just too expensive to run at European fuel prices.

That and it'd be murder to tax - and you couldn't park it anywhere...

19. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It wasn't obvious you were just exaggerating. But the answer is obvious, cars are bigger and heavier here. Mostly because our driving trips are often much longer than Europe's, and we value actual comfort.

20. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    This argument makes no sense in my head.

Lets see, a car with a big engine produces more noise (not necessarly but most likely), its thirstier, its heavier and degrades handling and therefore comfort.

If your trips are bigger, state to state for instance, a car that has better mileage, better handling and drive-ability provides more comfort than a car that has all the conditions stated above.

So comfort has almost nothing to do with engine and car size.

This is something that has been boggling my mind, why is there a need for such insanely big cars with insanely big engines with retarded mileage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.