Vehicles of Guru3D

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by -Ruin-, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Must've missed mine a few pages back...
    But, your Falcon is pretty wicked! One of my best friends has a '65 Falcon that's just meaner than Hell!

'74 Stingray

1966 Small Journal 327ci 4-Bolt Splayed Main Small Block Chev
    327 4010 Steel Crank
    GRP Connecting Rods, flash beam removed, glass-beaded, sized on both ends
    13:1 .60 over JRP Domed Pistons w/ floating wrist pins (JRP actually had to make these for me - there are *no* .60 over 327 domed pistons at 13:1!)
    Chet Herbert Custom Grind .645/.645 @ 300*In/310*Ex Roller Cam
    DartII Sportsman 57cc Heads, Ported/Polished, Roller Lifters, Stud Girdle
    2.05/1.65 Titanium Swirl-Polished valves
    Crane Aluminum Roller Rockers @ 1.75:1 on both intake and exhaust
    Weiand Hi-Ram Tunnel Ram
    2 X King Demon RS TUNNEL RAM 1095ST Carbs
    - Everything balanced/blueprinted

Hughes 9" 4800RPM Stall Converter
    MSD HVC-2
    MSD Chevy V8 "Crab Cap"
    GM Turbo-400 w/ steel clutches, manual valve body, etc.
    Stage III Rally Suspension

Monocoque rear Leaf Spring
    ...and all kinds of other weight-saving mods ;)

The car weighs in at 2965lb with me and a 1/2 tank (7 gallons) of 130octane AvGas (Blue) in it, and produces 745horse, 832#/ft tq...and it's a MONSTER...I get all shaky just sitting behind the wheel when it's *not running*, let alone what happens when it wakes up! This thing doesn't move, it moves the earth beneath it!! :cool:
    I've had it up to probably close to 180MPH, but there's no way to really tell for sure - the speedometer goes to 160, but there's no peg to stop the needle, and I've had it wrapped around to "M" on MPH, given that each inch is roughly 10MPH, that would be roughly 180MPH - and it felt like it too...the road gets awful NARROW at that speed!!!!

This beast is sub 10 seconds on track spinning most of the way - I was told NOT to bring it back without a 12pt roll cage and 5pt harnesses, shatter shields, helmet, fire extinguisher, etc. I told 'em to get F'ed cause I'm not ruining the interior of my car for that kind of equipment, so I just play on the streets now...you guys live close??? ;) It's getting hard to find a race anymore... :(

[​IMG]
    By Psychlone
    [​IMG]
    By Psychlone
    (sorry for the crap pix, they were the only ones I could dig up on short notice...I'll take some better pix when I pull it out of the garage and give it a good wax/buff!)

Here's 3 more from '09 when I had to take off the Weiand Tunnel Ram/Dual Demons and headlight covers so I could get it registered for the year...couple good pix of the car there.
    (where I live, you can't have anything sticking out of the hood more than 3", but the front carb sits 5 1/4" without an air cleaner...so it's technically illegal when I'm running my dual-carb setup...there is no hp/tq limits here yet ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Man, that Laguna Blue really shines in the daylight! (damn expensive color too!!)

Psychlone

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    This car is god. If I could, I would shake your hand. You built this yourself?

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    now THAT'S the kinda vette i like. Screw the fugly Z06/Z07 or whatever they're called.... stupid modern pieces of crap that more than likely don't hold a candle to the horses of their classic counterparts. REALLY want the 2010/2011 Corvette Stingray concept to become a reality. seeing THOSE driving around... i'd need a freakin bib.

4. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Hey, don't hate on the modern Z06 and ZR1. They are still bad ass cars. They just have taken a much more European styling and design.

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Some nice cars in this thread, I want a Land Rover Defender 90 (would love a 110 but it's too big really) as my first car, will be at least 18 months till then though. I'd love my dads car as he'd sell me it if I wanted and I can afford it, but no-one will even insure me on it (his insurance is £250 a year), it's a TVR S1.5 (1.5 as it's between models), cost £7500 about 8 years ago, is worth about half that now, it's 6 months older than me which I like, but a 21 year old on a car like that, no chance.

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    exactly.... they took what was a fantastic looking car, and mocked the design of other cars to create a new style. copying isn't new. You don't really ever see any other car that looks like the classic Stingray's.

7. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Elelemantal Dragon is always talking trash about the new vettes. One thing forsure they handle better than the older models. Nice old school vette to the guy up top.

8. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    While I agree on the styling standpoint, the guy that helped me build this bracket-racer BEAST has a 2010 ZR1 that's pushing just under 800 at the rear wheels (he's done a few things to it ;) ).
    Thing is, even though it doesn't look as cool as the older generations of 'Vette, it corners like a MOFO, has more creature comforts (Hell, mine doesn't even have a radio or AC, but that's by design :D), and bone-stock, comes in at 650 horses from the factory.

But, back to the styling, there is no other car on the planet that I'd rather have myself than a C3 Corvette. The third generation had the killer-shark styling with those massive curves in just the right places.
    This is the kind of car that you wash by hand yourself rather than a carwash - just for the simple pleasure of running your hands across those sensuous curves. God's greatest gift to man is curves, and in the right poses, this beast resembles the hottest woman I've ever seen! ;)

I did build this car myself. I've had it since I was 20 and I'm now 38. An ex-girlfriend's dad and I started working on it when I first purchased it as a complete basket-case (no numbers matching, blown motor/tranny, bad rear end, etc. ad nauseum) and have kind of continued making it more and more wicked as time went on.

Next up on the list of improvements is for me to create a mold from plywood for a dash. I'm going to completely remodel the interior and create a cockpit that wraps around the driver with all the gauges and toggles right where I want them rather than in places that have the room like now. I envision digital gauges placed in just the right spots, and all the toggles coming down a center console that curves toward the driver's seat from the upper dash.

Anyway, this is one of those projects that will never be completed. As soon as I have another epiphany, I'll change something else, but hey, that's part of the fun of having a car to play with!!:cool:

Here's a quick pic of one of it's many iterations (back in '94 or so) - different engine/tranny combo, different hood, darker blue color - I hadn't molded in the ZL1 fender flares yet nor molded the spoiler flush to the body yet) - this was 1 of 2 times I entered it into a car show...I won first in class both times, but went NUTZ because of all the kids that just had to touch my car with their greasy kid hands, not to mention asinine people with rivets on their jeans leaning up against it!!
    [​IMG]
    Then the lighter blue with the ZL1 fender flares - I think that the color really makes those flares POP!
    [​IMG]

And here's my 3 favorite rides all in the same shot! (my '72 Camaro RS/SS, '74 Stingray and '76 Wife! - all good years!! ;))

[​IMG]

Psychlone

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  9. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    I love the old Town Cars, I used to borrow my uncle's '74 Grand Fury(which was about the same size) here and there. Nothing says protected like being surrounded by 5000+lbs of Detroit steel. lol

10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    seaplane: Yes.... i talk trash about the new vettes..... cause they're quite bland style wise in comparison in my, and probably many other's, opinion. Like Psychlone said... it's all in the curves. Yeah... anyone can make a piece of angled plywood handle like a dream with extremely wide tires and a fair amount of downforce. hell... i'd even say my Smart handles rather well and it's about as aerodynamic as an uprooted tree stump. It's the LOOK of the car that i really like. new vettes are seriously lacking in that department. same with the new Camaro's and such... but mostly cause the new camaro, new challenger, and in some ways the brand new mustang, all look generally the same except for a few tweaks here and there to the general body style..... but nothing to make them look DRASTICALLY different. I've already come over the crest of a hill and saw what i thought was a Challenger sitting in a car lot... until i realised that it was a Chevy dealer.

One reason i like my parent's '01 Trans-Am. You look at it from the front.... it almost looks kinda evil.

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I think the nailed it with the newer Vettes. It was never designed to be subtle like a Maserati QP or something like that - it's always been a massive vulgar brute of a car. Just like the new one :)

It's obviously identifiable as a Vette, which is the main thing.

Sick car though Psychlone. I love the wheels. And the paint - looks fantastic. The lights look awesome too...

There's a lot of divided opinion about American cars in this part of the world - but anyone with a shred of car passion would agree that the Stingray is an absolute classic in every respect.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  12. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Oh man that's so awesome. If I had to get a new car it would be a Town Car.

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    form>function and the C6 has a ****ton of function.

14. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Oh I didn't realize it was yours, nice engine dude! :D

Nissan L series FTW.

15. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Active Member

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    Psychlone nice car. unfortunately i do not fit in that year corvette nor do i fit in my dads very well.
    also why spend 7 dollars a gallon when you could just as easily run e-85. 85% ethanol and usually around 105 octane. 13:1 static compression will run fine with e-85. at least around here can get it easily and cheap.
    my car is not ready for racing yet though couple oil leaks and need to do some suspension work. plus my compression is very low just because of the parts i had. but will be great for future plans :)
    i have some more pics i just dont feel like putting them on a site to host. i will get them on facebook though.
    my falcon is just 302 (.040 over so 308) full roller with wrong cam ok single plane intake set of heads 2.5 in exhaust for now. 750 carb and has a t-5 in it. also put disc brakes on front.

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ LOL @ "just a 302"...my buddy that has a Falcon has a 302 in his, and that thing really is a wicked machine - burned up many a stock new Camaro/Stang in it's day!

Pay attention to the cam...I went WAAAAY overboard on my roller at .645/.645 at 300*/310* duration. This thing *barely* idles at 1000RPM, and if I were to just start it and walk away, I'd make it about 3 steps before it just killed itself. Does look cool when 'trying' to idle and the entire body is shaking like it's missing bolts! 28* advance is a ton to have to tune in!! Don't do what I did (unless, of course, you're looking to build a bracket-racer)
    If you're looking for someone that can and will custom-grind you a cam, check out ChetHerbert Cams...they've got great prices and will grind anything you want them to!

Thing with e85, it doesn't like my car or the altitude I run at - I sit at a couple hundred feet from 1 mile in the sky, plus, there is only 1 gas station in town that has e85, so it's actually *easier* to get Aviation Fuel for my beast than it is e85! I've got all the gaskets and everything for alcohol, and will probably play with that next summer... but the blue AvGas (~120 octane) really is the only thing that I can run that doesn't ping like a SOB up here.

Lastly, I think I'm going to drop in a 700R4 that's been built to the nutz - I'm all but done with twisting up T400's with steel clutches and all the goodies - every time I twist one, it costs me about $600 to replace (AFTER core!) and I've replaced 1 for every 1000 miles that my ride has gone (that's 4 trannys in 4000 miles), so I found a place in CA that will build a 700R4 that will withstand the tq that this thing pushes, PLUS I'll have a 4th gear OD! ;) (that means line locker instead of the 4800 stall, and I should be able to run it on our local Main St. for a few skirmishes here and there...)
    I like the idea of a manual, but with as much torque as this thing pumps to the ground, there's no way I'd keep the back end BEHIND me where it belongs - Hell, I can simply stomp on it in "D" at 45mph and the rear will flip around and catch up to the front before I can even take my foot off it. Completely losing traction at 120 between 2nd and 3rd is scary enough with my current setup - let alone what a manual 4/5/6 speed would do...I just don't trust the car or myself enough to go manual - I still have the full independent rear under there, so if anything goes, it's going to be one of the little side-drivelines or ujoints between the pumpkin and the spindles...I just know that a manual would put tonz of extra strain on what I consider to be the only weak points on the entire car.

Anyway, you've got a killer ride there - keep at it and you just might finish it in your lifetime, unless you're like me!!! ;)

Psychlone

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    Tom: i fail to see exactly how the NEWER vette's are vulgar brutes compared to the old ones. The newer vettes have a somewhat similar body style as just about every "classic reborn muscle car" that was around in the beginning of 2000. Firebird's.... Camaro's.... Mustangs.... the somewhat more recent ones (barring the very recent ones) had a long, low front end, and not a whole lot to the back. Like i said... if they actually release the new concept Corvette Stingray into production... THAT would be a vette to drool over.

18. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    If you want to see some vulgarity on the new Vettes, just open the hood. Just the sound of a stock ZR1 or Z06 is absolutely incredible. When you hear it you know it's a Vette you're dealing with.

19. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Active Member

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
  20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    doubt it's any better than my parent's WS6 Trans-Am.... if at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.