Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I really hope they do something stock with the BRZ/FR-S/GT86. I mean, it's a really fun car in the turns, but when I drove it the 200HP just wasn't that exciting. I'd like to see some option that allows you to get it somewhere in the 320+ range stock. All of the aftermarket mods I've seen make that car look like some serious fun, especially when they start pushing 400.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    For a minute then I thought Copey had blagged a compact V8 for the FT-86.

Calm down they are there to keep you safe :D

Anyone going FOS this year?

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    :D

And yes I am going on the Saturday. :)

4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I wish lol no the are offering tuning packages for the car but too say its pricey is an understatment.

I may have some bits comin shortly if all goes well, end game is a nice supercharger setup.

5. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
  6. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    [​IMG]

T16 is finally running with the new, delicious engine management system. Yes!

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Holy wire harness, batman! You firing the cylinders manually or what? lol

8. aircool

GPU:
    Or he ran out of flexi conduit :D

No updates on the Alfa other than its been washed and is very reliable, just had lots of maintenance done (again) :-/

Still considering a barge instead though :D

9. deankevor

deankevor Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 OC 2GB
    I'd send mine. After I passed the driving test haha

10. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Almost - didn't fancy condiuting it without testing that is actually works :p

Runs nicely, though. Should run even better when I get mapping I hope...

11. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Lots of maintenance again = unreliable surely? If it needs parts and/or is in the garage that often. :D Mine always were!

Tom - What standalone engine management and wideband o2 sensor did you go with? All interesting stuff.

12. aircool

GPU:
    Let me rephrase that if you will, its more preventative maintenance so in effect I am making it reliable? Seriously its not let me down apart from once when the FIAT (crap) battery terminal clamp fell off one morning.

Its been in quite a bit more than expected however I think going 20v was a bold choice!

It's been nice however I can justify a big petrol barge (now that im old/wise) so may be looking at moving it on again.

What have you got as your current fleet (still rocking the 20VTLE?)?

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Oh yeah I know what you're saying, I used to do the same thing. I know you're aware of the pitfalls so you're paying to have them sorted before they become a problem, which is good. The sad fact though is the cars do have all these pitfalls that need addressing in the first place.

I still have the LCR as a daily and the 20VT as a toy. The latter barely gets used to be honest but when it is used it's awesome. I will be taking it to Goodwood next weekend for the FOS.

And the LCR, can't think of a better daily. I bought it very cheap and 2+ years later it does everything I need. Quick enough (stage 1), handles well (Bilstein B12 + Whiteline ARB at the rear), comfy, enough space for my mountain bike in the back, never goes wrong, park it anywhere!

If you were up for a spin over the coming weeks give me a shout.

14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Management is actually just a more recent Saab system (scrapyard standalone :D), which does boost / fuel / ignition.

Has some nice features like very smart knock detection and can do some nifty adaptation stuff as well - and it looks pretty much factory (red thing on the cam cover is the ignition cassette) - and can be mapped in real time with free software :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Trionic_T5.5

Need to get the correct cam cover back on at some point - the 900 one is a lot nicer looking!

Haven't picked up a wideband yet as I'll be running standard hardware / tunes for a while, but I'll probably bag a 14point7 SLC-DIY2 as I can datalog in T5Suite.

Should be fun - got a TD04-15g which I'll fit at some point so I'll need to map it for that.

15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Front left wheel bearing was shot (lots of noise, and I could practically wiggle the entire wheel), so I bought a new one and replaced it with the help of a mate who's a mechanic and has access to a press. Put everything together the (supposedly) correct way, and it felt nice and tight like it should. Went for a short test drive, and low and behold. I can now wiggle the wheel again, just like before. There's no sound emitting from the bearing now but.. still. I don't get it.

We ran out of time so we didn't get a chance to take it apart again, which we will do over the weekend. But my friend honestly couldn't understand what went wrong. The bearing is a brand new, quality japanese part.

Any ideas?

16. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Ball joint?

17. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, I just replaced those for the MOT a few weeks ago. Everything else is tight, the wiggle definitely comes from the wheel assembly itself.

This sucks so much. I've been without a car for 4 days now and it's driving me insane. Biking to work in a classical early northern Norwegian summer (it's been hailing today) blows.

18. aircool

GPU:
    Which way is the movement?

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    If you put your hands on the wheel (or the disc) you can wiggle it in an inward/outward motion.

20. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Something I've been working on the past week: sunroof delete with Lexan.
    Sunroof was rusted and leaking. Dropped 30 lbs off the roof. Basically a PC mod for a car :infinity:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to add some foam around the edge for protection, and I'll be done. I was going to plastidip the underside, but I think I'm just going to tape a poster to it. :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.