Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Oh. Well... i wouldn't exactly call the Caliber the Neon's replacement. The Dart is technically the Neon's replacement, since it's Dodge's first foray into the compact car market since the Neon was dropped in 2006. The Caliber is more for people who wanted a Durango, but didn't.... want a Durango. But as a friend of mine told me, the Caliber would be the perfect vehicle if you planned on putting a nice big TV in it for tailgating and such, since the inside of the tailgate was practically flat.

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Finished an audio upgrade in mine.

[​IMG]

3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    is that a mcdonald's sticker :D?

4. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Well this was an all-out track car which had been stripped out, proper suspension, LSD etc. - but it was faster than anything else out there. The way it hooked up was nuts. FWD can't be all bad if you're faster out of turns than a GT3 RS ;)

No way I'd want that on a road car though. For one thing, I don't think I could actually drive a car with that much power lol

I like having a car where you can actually use the power - not have the occasional burn otherwise you lose your license. A slow car driven at 100% is much more fun on the road than a fast one at 20%.

My 45hp Panda is one of the most entertaining cars I've had for that reason :)

That Neon looks alright though. Not really my bag, but I can see the appeal of it. I bet they're pretty quick. I'd still have a 9-3 though - it's a bit more subtle.

Edit: Christ, the Caliber is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Glad they didn't bring that over here. It's almost as bad as the Aztec...

Last edited: May 12, 2013

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
  6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Haha. Juke... the car that has a style like a frog. The Cube is awful, too. How the hell did they go from the Cube, to the Juke..... to the GTR? I don't get it. And the overly personified Mazda's with their big dopey grinning grilles.

7. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Dodge would like to say otherwise :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=caliber+neon+replacement

You beat the driver not the car. Guaranteed if you put someone else behind the wheel of a GT3 RS you'd get creamed. I beat a Dodge Viper once on the 1/4mi track with that Neon but I'm not going to say I can beat a Viper with it. Anyways, as you saw from prior posts I've moved on from the Neon. It was a fun practical daily driver. :)

8. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    It was a replacement in the sense that it was one of the smaller vehicles made by Dodge, but i don't think anybody would look at a Caliber, and say "That's an interesting looking compact". It just isn't a small car. I believe even most of the review sites that looked at the Dart say that it's Dodge's first foray into the compact market since the Neon. The Caliber is more of a wagon or crossover than a compact.

Dart-y goodness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH8osyi2G10

9. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Cool ride. Hopefully they do an SRT with the Dart down the road. I never go hard on an engine until it's properly warmed up. Oil hasn't warmed up and gone through the engine yet but if that's what you like doing go for it. :) I wait until oil temps get to 150 and coolant to operating temps before I start "having fun". I still like the 2.4 on my old SRT. Bit deeper in sound...here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQpuiY4PPw&list=UUAXUm4XArXPl9CegfEYeGvw&index=64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhVWxK-GRSQ&list=UUAXUm4XArXPl9CegfEYeGvw&index=49

10. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Haha yeah I'm not for one second trying to argue that a haggard Saab is a better car than a GT3 RS - but it was funny to experience reeling one in in a 9-3. The guy in the Porsche was definitely trying, though probably not as much as he could've been, given the value of the car...

A better driver could've carried more speed all the way round the track to the point where the faster acceleration on the Saab made no difference. My point was only that FWD isn't necessarily a huge handicap :)

There was one of these murdering the Porsches as well - the 9-3 was quicker on the straights, but this was untouchable in the corners.

[​IMG]

Serious epicness.

The Caliber is just mega overstyled - really unsubtle for such an ordinary car. Bit like these - all that crop of Dodges looked nasty to me.

[​IMG]

The lights...the grille...the wheels...just all looks really fussy.

The Dart sounds quite cool - I'm with N0sferatU though, keep the revs/boost down while it's cold, especially on turbo cars.

On the topic of 'small cars', I don't think they exist anymore. Modern cars are HUGE when you see them compared to older versions.

[​IMG]

And that's a 1 series!

New cars seem huge and bloated compared to older ones - they're ridiculously heavy, for one thing.

Last edited: May 12, 2013

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Wouldn't exactly say the new Dart is huge compared to the old one, though...

12. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    It is compared to the Neon ;)

[​IMG]

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That turbo sounds really nice, as does the exhaust flowing down the pipe. All in all, a lot meatier than you'd expect. Makes me want to get mine even more now. Also Tom F, new cars are heavier because of modern safety regulations. It's not that technology has gone backwards.

14. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Agreed...most of the size today is due to...

1.) People want bigger more spacious cars
    2.) Safety regulations / equipment
    3.) More and more features in a car add weight

I drive my Corvette around and while it's "light" (3212 lbs.) by today's standards it's comical when I look at how big some of the other cars look. I sit pretty low to the ground in it and a Focus / Civic looks like an SUV. SUV's look like 18 wheelers and well the 18 wheelers look like monster trucks. Just look at the pick-up truck in the far right of the photo his wheel and wheel well tower over my point of view. :heh:

Here's when I first got the car sitting in bumper to bumper. See how much bigger everything looks sitting low lol

[​IMG]

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    so many suv's and trucks...:[

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well.... we live in a "Bigger is better" world. Don't honestly believe it's true? Own a Smart ForTwo for a while. You'll get used to hearing things like "I wouldn't want to get hit by a semi while driving that". You know.... failing to realize that getting hit by a semi even in an original Humvee probably wouldn't feel too comfortable either, depending how fast the semi was going. They don't realize that a car doesn't have to have two tons of steel around them in order to be safe. A member of the Smart Car club i was in was actually in a pretty gnarly accident, seeing the pictures of what his Smart looked like. But he seemed perfectly fine standing there talking to him at a car show. My mom didn't even seem to fare as well in her Jeep Grand Cherokee when she was hit by some idiot in a pickup who was in the oncoming lane and veered into her land when he leaned over to grab something that fell on the floor of his truck.

Even had one guy come in where i work and said that he'd run my car over with his pickup. I guess he didn't realize that the frame of the Smart ForTwo could have EASILY supported the weight of his pickup.... while i don't think the roof of his pickup could have supported the weight of my Smart. :p

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's the U.S. for you, SUV's/Crossovers are probably the #1 thing you see here.

I drive commercial for a living and on the light side of things, the vehicles I drive weigh ~32,000 pounds. Now that's what I call safety. No matter what car/truck you own as a civilian, it won't stand up to getting hit by a truly large vehicle like a truck/bus. I know a co worker who got hit head on by a Ford Explorer. The Explorer lost, badly. The bus was driven away back to the yard, while the Explorer was a 100% loss. The engine was no longer connected to the vehicle; it was just lying in a heap on the ground. Every fluid in the car was in a mixed puddle on the ground. Just totaled. And this was at 20 miles an hour.

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea. Basically, without putting yourself behind the controls of a tank to go to the grocery store or to work, you're only hope for safety is that the other idiots on the road are only idiots in IQ, not driving ability.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Pretty much. And people here are terrible drivers. Can't even remember how many people have tried to brake check me/cut me off. It's like, really? If I have a few tons of cargo, you're playing a gambling game by doing retarded crap like that.

20. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    In the US, everybody gets a big V8 SUV to sit in traffic because they want to feel good about themselves.

:)

Well honestly its not as bad where i am in the bay area, most people are driving sedans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.