Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Gotta love the GT40... i mean, it is in part the foundation of the Ford GT.

And.... i take back what i said.... there are SOME supercars that have an incredible sound to them. I kinda like the sound of the Zonda.... it kinda just purrs.... there sometimes seems to be almost NO reverberation in their exhaust tone at all. That..... and as cliche as it may be, i have to say i LOVE the sound of the Bugatti Veyron. Especially the sound of it firing up. MY GOD!!!!!

3. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    The GT-40 does sound awesome. I'm with you on the Zonda too - a huge AMG V12 can only be a recipe for greatness :)

To me, most big V12s sound better than big V8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RM2N_8CfQo

I never thought much of the noise of the Veyron though. Sounds like a Golf GTI engine but with more cylinders - which is exactly what it is ;)

In general turbo cars don't sound as nice as N/A ones. Turbo stuff can sound good, but there are some N/A engines that have a lovely 'crispness' to the sound. There are obviously exceptions, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA3-wXXW6ok

4. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Well... TECHNICALLY i guess you could say the Veyron is like that.... but not only 4x the cylinders, but 4x the turbo's. haha. They don't call it the Veyron 16.4 for nothing.

But not a snowball's chance in hell that you could ever get a GTI to sound like this. And even better... it's the Veyron SuperSport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKB0EpwKARc

..... sorry.... i think i need a bib... *drool*....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZCKFQ5L8mA

Yep.... definitely need a bib....

Come on.... 0-60 MPH in 2.5 seconds? 0-200 MPH in like 22 seconds? what's not to love? (aside from the immense price tag....)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

5. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    My 96 Ford Ranger XLT super Cab 4.0L 4x4
    [​IMG]

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    jeez, already?! :(

What caused it, overheating? That sucks.

Talking of things that suck, I found out why my car had a vinyl roof. I removed the vinyl quite a while ago and things looked pretty good, but then I started scraping the paste off and what I thought was primer turned out to be filler, and not just a little bit either! It was half an inch thick, took me 3 days just to remove it.
    [​IMG]

Looks like someone decided to jump up and down on it, the whole thing was dented to hell and the rear half had lost its tension and was flopping around all over the place.
    [​IMG]

So basically I thought to myself

stop...

[​IMG]

...hammer time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a week of bashing but it turned out pretty good considering; the important thing is I got the tension back into it and it's straight enough that a thin skim coat will even it out. Finding a replacement roof isn't an option, there are only a handful of these cars left over here and a lot of them have sunroofs anyway!

7. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    @Morbias, Nope! temp gauge stayed under 180 the whole time.

I think it was when I changed the cam- I was removing a 3mm stack of cam tower spacers put on by whatever bolthead assembled the motor(The head has barely any or no material shaved from it), I forgot to drain the coolant before loosening the head bolts and some coolant spilled out from the head gasket. after retorqing it sealed fine for a few months but finally blew now... I guess the carbs were too much for it.

I was just using it to jump the Z- and there was steam coming out of the exhaust at idle. :(

Oh- I got my ZX to start !! Now to troubleshoot the EFI crap hahah. It revvs up fine but it idling down at like 400rpm and the temp gauge doesn't work. :\

Your hammer skills are impressive !! That looks good. That Z is going to be so nice when you're done!

8. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    [​IMG]

Well, I picked up a new toy.

It's an 84 Chevy Chevette, SOHC 1.6, 4 speed manual.

Current setup has it at about 116hp/98lbs torque Which is pretty funny considering it rolled out the factory with about 60bhp.

The short list includes. MSD 6A ignition box, shaved head, Bullet racing camshaft (not sure of the exact one), Weber 38 carb, Custom exhaust manifold, 2" piping with cat delete, Welded diff (temporary), ontop of lots more :D

'Tis a fun little thing.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I'm surprised you found one of those still running. I haven't seen one on the road in a very long time, and this is a city full of bangers and old cars in general.

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I used a heater core from a chevette in my first watercooling setup, ah... memories!

MM10X - I'd never re-use a headgasket, apparantly it's ok to do with some types but I would be scared it was gonna blow out at any moment!

Weird about those head saver shims though, the timing chain must have been pretty tight.

Good luck with the EFI, too many things to go wrong with those things :p
    Have you checked for vacuum leaks though, that's usually the cause of bad idles. Also I think it has 2 temperature sensors? The ECU uses temperature data to control the idle iirc

11. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    @Morbias, Aye, I was only meaning to re-torque it as the head never came off with the cam ... Ah well.
    The chain was very tight !

I've got some progress with the EFI- mainly bad connectors and old/dirty sensors causing issues... I'm sure its nothing major but a pain to troubleshoot.

Vac leaks ? I've not checked fully yet, but most obvious areas are fine.

Yes, there is a CHTS at the back of the head- and its working properly.

You are lucky you have carbs !! In california you cannot swap carbs to an EFI car! (anything after 1975)

12. Skarpretter

Skarpretter Member

GPU:
    Matrix 7970 Platinum
  13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ACR? Where in Norway are you from, Skarpretter?

14. Skarpretter

Skarpretter Member

GPU:
    Matrix 7970 Platinum
    Mo i Rana, but i study in Oslo.

My own car only last two rounds there before the brakes stop working completely, so I don't plan on taking it to the track. Too drunk to drive home anyways :)

Edit: The start of this vid shows where the race track is in the world. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uqPB5qMWCo

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hah, Mo! Bodø here. When is ACR this year anyway?

16. Skarpretter

Skarpretter Member

GPU:
    Matrix 7970 Platinum
    That's pretty close hehe. 14-16 June, but there's also another one 16-18 August.

Edit: Btw, have you ever been to any of the club honda meetings at acr?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  17. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Look what I found while working today... ;)

[​IMG]

Also note the 300ZX hiding in the background.

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    front tires seems to roll wrong direction...

19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    aaaaah.... gotta love Lotus....

And i think you're right, Mannerheim

20. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I would kill for a nice Elise like that. It's so uncommon to see one around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.