Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

Indeed.
    Many years ago I watched first and second stage and now that there are 5 stages I got to watch them all. After watching them I had the itch to grab GT5 and my wheel and drift with Shingeno's AE86... I got so hyped I needed to feel the thrill.
    After that got an S2000 tuned and ready to drift, an M3, an CL55 AMG, a RWD Skyline, and a Vauxall Monaro v8...
    I played for hours :p

But... I have no car in real life... i only got a motorcycle :_(
    Aaaaanyway I'm planning on buying a 1992 Suzuki Swift GTI 1.3

[​IMG]

I know, it's not a drifter but i love compacts with a punch. Very fun to drive. And its cheap to run and mantain. Everything is so expensive in my country :/
    Imagine that that car costs about $6,5K USD with around 100k miles on it...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    @MM10X

My god, cyclists everywhere, and you didn't even hit any of them!

That sounds awesome, I was going to fit a radio but I think I might not ever use it. Is that your diff whining on the overrun? Are you using polyurethane bushings?

3. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    @Morbias, That wasn't very many cyclists... other roads have more depending on the time! I try to be polite when passing, but sometimes they just ride in the middle of the lane for no reason.
    Also since I have a loud car, they assume I'm going extremely fast whenever I touch the throttle.

Never went over 5900rpm in that video ... motor pulls to 6800 with this cam!

Ah your car will probably be quieter, mine is a combination of many things I have to fix causing all the noises.
    Those are standard bushings in the LCA and sway bar, the TC rods and top hats are pillow ball solid bushes, as well as cheap coilovers. The rear axle is on stiffened leaf springs, I'm sure that does not help the noise at all.
    Also these roads are rough. On a smooth road it makes very little chassis noise.

'overrun'? Not familear with that term.
    When I shifted down to first gear is when you can hear bearing noise from the gearbox. There is some normal whine from those gears, but usually only noticeable in 5th gear.
    As far as I can tell there is little or no noise from the diff.

Oh and more visual contribution to the thread- Playing with that same fish-eye lens I recorded the video with.

[​IMG]

4. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Very nice ride man !

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    @MM10X

I only wondered as people recommend to keep the standard rubber bushings to cut down noise, with the diff supposedly being the biggest contributor to whine. I've gone polyurethane everything with ball joints on the TC rods :/

btw. the 510 has forward TC rods doesn't it?

Not sure whether to go with solid top mounts yet; more noise and harshness but gives an extra 1.5" drop without sacrificing shock travel.

Talking of bearings, I've got to drop my gearbox out to change the clutch throwout bearing; noticed it was buggered when we changed the engine. Did I have a spare one no I did not :cussing:

6. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    @Morbias, I opted for urethane bushes on my Z too, I hope I've made the correct choice there. I don't think they're very loud if they are set up properly and greased well.
    Hopefully I can get that motor to start on sunday !!( L28ET )

Yes, the 510 has forward TC rods.
    The extra castor added on made a huge difference in how it cruised at high speeds, it no longer wandered around. I could actually relax while cruising with only one hand on the wheel.

A new T/O bearing will be nice ! I've already trashed one on my 510 but I suspect it was from being installed incorrectly. Lucky you don't have too much assembled, it sucks taking the engine out again but its not too complicated to do when you have all the tools around.
    After all, I removed the engine of my ZX by myself. :)

7. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Looks fast and sounds gorgeous. I love the gearbox noise :)

8. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Why are you trying to pimp an accord...

10. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    .... never really was a huge fan of that grille style....

11. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    pimp? lol...im not pimping anything i just installed a grille that i like on my car, does that answer your question?

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Well I don't like it, it doesn't fit the car at all, take it off :bugeye:

13. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    nahh i love it :)

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    I'm with Ice. Not on the "take it off" part.... hey, you like it, you keep it. It just doesn't really fit the car... kinda like when you know you're looking at a front-wheel drive car, but there's an oversized wing bolted to the trunk. Practically CAN'T look anywhere but at the grille. To me, that's not a good thing. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Probably doesn't help that there's absolutely nothing to tie it into the rest of the front end. It's like someone took a few aluminum rods, jammed them into the front end, and said "yea.... that works".

15. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Yechhh....

16. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I agree on the grille. Not for me - but if it works for you, then great :)

Again, I agree - but with exceptions.

[​IMG]

I am biased, but to me that looks awesome. I'll be fitting mine over the next few weeks (to cover up the welding I have to do on the bootlid...).

17. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    All the posts from you about handling etc and you don't even drive? Armchair expert much? :p

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    Tom: Well... that wing is there... but i'd almost have to say it's less functional than an oversized rear wing on a FWD car. At speed, i seriously doubt there's a whole lot of air even GRAZING that wing in order to make it functional.... let alone enough to actually make a noticeable difference.

19. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    The razorback still has ~laminar air flow.
    The spoiler is there to generate turbulence, so that you don't end up with "suction" on the back end where the trunk line falls off vertically and forms a sudden break in airflow.

A wing generally isn't there to make turbulence, it's to make down-force.
    Both are mounted to the tail, but for different reasons.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  20. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I'd always used the two terms interchangably - wasn't aware there's a difference. Thanks for the lesson :)

Apparently the most noticable effect is that it sucks snow/rain off the rear window, which is good as mine doesn't have a rear wiper!

Edit: Just done some reading - apparently they designed it to reduce lift at high speed and, as scheherazade said - reduce drag.

There was an aftermarket one that was even bigger...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.