Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Arggg.is it :S damn.

3. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Also, could be an O2 sensor in the cats, if they are faulty and reading wrong then the car can over fuel, if you drive a diesel and only get 400kms from a 65l tank then I would guess there is something wrong with the car, not winter temps. Though, I can't see what diesel you drive, is it a big diesel? what do you normally get from 65L? Have you had an OBD2 scan for any codes?

I have a 528 and I'm happy if I get 400Miles, but generally 36L gets me about 180mi, or 290km, and thats now in winter, though summer not much different either, my main problem is traffic fluctuation as opposed to ambient temperature.

4. Sobek

Sobek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    The farthest my 730 ever took me on a single tank was juuust shy of 1000km (600 miles or so I think?). Not bad for a big V8.

85lt tank though :wanker:

So many things can lead to poor fuel economy depending on the complexity of the systems in the car. Bad MAF, dodgy o2 sensors, blocked cats, intake leaks, air filter... the list could go on forever. But o2 sensors and MAF are always my first port of call - if the car can be read for any stored error codes, that is always going to be the first thing you should do, naturally.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Biggest contributor to low MPG is a heavy right foot!!!!! lol

6. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    32MPG in a big barge is very reasonable though.

Winter economy sucks, but not as much as driving slow to save fuel and being cold like a miser :D

7. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Yeah, but even a diesel being thrashed should get better than 400km per tank, or 17mpg, unless it is a huge diesel in a huge car.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

my jaguar 2.2d soverign estate with a heavy right foot round town gets 30-35mpg on the motorway if i hurry and dont use cruse controll will still get 50mpg

i get about 6mpg more round town if i drive like i dont like acceleration and about 10mpg more on motorway if i use cruse controll

9. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    exactly, I use to get the same on Vectra Sri DTI, though my Seat Toledo 1.9TDI was always 45-50mpg whether I thrashed it or molly coddled, but my 528i petrol will easily dip to about 15mpgs if I cane it.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i actually found a sweep-spot on the gas pedal, which i push a little bit and accelerate slowly but the the petrol consumption is low. or decent.

Yesterday i was on high way which i was not using highway since the summer times, the consumption was so decent. now the Current Tank Level - RANGE is more than 400KM. which i already made 160 km since the i full the tank.

On the other hand we already know that highway consumption is low in all kind of vehicles. True but at least i saw the highway consumption and compared it with summer. so it was normal. so , as we all point out: engine is cold, fuel goes more. and short distances makes this valid.

11. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Aha, if you normally do short trips then that will hugely affect your consumption, especially in a diesel as it takes longer to warm up than a petrol. I've been forced to take the train to work the past couple of weeks due to road closures near my work, so I am only driving 2 miles each way. I normally get 180miles from £50 of fuel, but I only got 130 due to these short trips.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    My vehicle is petrol, all time all wheel drive SUV. 2.0 motor 250hp. And yes, short trip all time. And it looks like it will be better to change my driving habits. No fast acceleration. And decent speed.

13. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Traded in the 2011 mazda2 for a 2010 mazda3 GT (wanted more straight line speed and more room)
    [​IMG]

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    looks awesome. drive safe :)

15. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Sorry, I never check this thread. Mine's an auto. Didn't feel like buying a stick if there aren't many ponies to make use of.

16. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
  17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
  18. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I agree, and completely disagree with the article. I would rather use 50% of the performance of my 528 than 100% of the performance of a 1.2 Fiesta! If I'm at the front of the queue at traffic lights and nail it up to 60mph, that is fun, I can feel the acceleration, I can hear the 6 up front, but in a fiesta, sheesh, you'd be changing into 2nd as I'm slowing for the next lights, illegal or not, that is fun. In NZ I had a 1.6 Suzuki vitara as a work car, it was not fun, it make me a bette driver though as I learnt how to manage the power, plan ahead, take corners without braking, but on a steep gradient when I'm stuck in 3rd gear at 4500rpm and it just won't get any quicker, that is not fun when the car I passed in the twisties a few miles back, now passes me again.

19. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Its true on the less powered cars being more fun to drive all out...especially lighter ones.

The mazda2 I had was like a gokart once it had springs and racing tires on it...peddle to the floor on the track and was a blast driving it to the edge...where as a higher powered car would be all about traction\throttle control and not being able to drive it balls out...its more of a track theology than a 0-60 straight line kind of thinking.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  20. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Lower power cars can be more fun to drive given the right circumstances. On a nice twisty road in a car with little power you have to get the lines/braking/acceleration point right to make the quickest progress.

In a car with loads of power you can get complacent and just rely on the power to hustle you along the next straight.

Otherside of the scale is a powerful car with a quick spooling turbo for example is much more fun than trying to drive a low capacity n/a engine quickly in a straight line. Feels like the handbrake is on.

Is the Mazda3 GT the same as the MPS (Mazdaspeed3)? Don't get the GT here AFAIK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.