Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    That's something the Smart could probably handle quite well.... though i've never really tried it. Not the greatest on acceleration, but it could probably whip through those slaloms and corners a fair bit better.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I doubt it, it's got no power. Isn't it also an automatic?

3. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    automated manual. Only thing it doesn't have is a clutch, but i can still keep it in any gear i want.

4. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Unfortunately elemental...im guessing it wouldnt be allowed because of the wheelbase\height issue where it probably has a high center of gravity...but I havent 100% verified it yet...basically anything that could roll they dont allow. I found this in the crash test reviews:
    "While that doesn't affect the score, a "door opening during a side impact crash increases the likelihood of occupant ejection," the agency noted.

For rollover resistance, the ForTwo earned three stars. According to NHTSA's tests, it has 21% chance of rolling over in a crash.

No other passenger car - a group that excludes trucks, vans and SUVs - has a rollover rating below four stars, according to NHTSA. The cut-off for a four-star rollover resistance rating is a 20% chance of rollover"

Plus the only autox vids on youtube I could pull up are from 4 years ago and there are only 2 and they are very low speed parking lot ones. One of my friends just traded her mazda2 for your same car and she likes it and loves the way it handles...but for insurance\safety reasons it may not be allowed to autox (youd have to ask one of your local big wigs in the local racing associations to ask).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

5. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I think it's actually pretty awesome.
    Smoking cars way above your class is a priceless and unforgettable feeling! :D

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well yea... it's likely to roll in a heavy collision, because it'd not designed to completely absorb the impact of the other vehicle/object. It's built like a race car roll cage, which basically has the goal set to "roll the f*ck out of the way". The door opening is only really in a side impact... which doesn't really say much in terms of a rollover. There's that clip of i believe Top Gear ramming an older one into concrete dividers at like 60mph, and not only did the doors stay closed, they still were practically functional, actually having to pull the handle to open the driver's door.

Not to mention that they have all the safety features you'd expect in a high-end car, including cornering brake assistance to try to prevent a rollover should you try to corner at too high a speed. Plus if it WERE to roll over, aside from some scraped paint and cracked/scraped panels, i doubt there would be any other damage. The IIHS tested the strength of the Smart's roof, and it was able to hold something like 5 times it's own weight, and only crushed about 3 inches.

7. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    I wasnt saying it wasnt a well built car, I was only saying that for autocrossing here in the states it may not be legal just based on dimensional guidelines (hopefully im wrong)...though I hear they handle pretty well and corner flat with little chassis flex.

8. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Former SCCA Safety Steward: At last check the Smart was banned because the CG was too high. At least the Brabus one is.

The main concern is how it would handle R-comps.

9. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Yippie...proven I'm not talking out my butt....today is a good day :).

10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    0.o don't see why the Brabus model would be more notable than the standard, seeing as the brabus is also lowered slightly compared to the standard Pure/Passion/Cabrio models.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I have a dream of taking a Dodge Caravan and fitting it with a Viper motor and transmission, along with a redone suspension. I don't care if I have to move the entire dashboard back. Would be so awesome. Just wish I had the money to do it. Imagine taking it to an autocross or something and being laughed at, then destroying everyone else's times.

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpgZToUcWY8&feature=related

I'm pretty sure that takes the cake on a Caravan with a Viper engine. Would LOVE to be able to do that to mine. Sadly... the conversion to slap a Hayabusa motor into a Smart costs more than a Smart. Think last time i checked, it's close to $20,000.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That would also be pretty sweet. All the awesome street light moments with mustang drivers. Every mustang driver and most BMW drivers think it's important to be faster than everyone on a green, and love padding their egos with cars they think are slow.

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Hell, even MY smart seems to surprise some people sometimes. Especially since a lot of those people who seem to enjoy padding their ego's don't really know how to drive the cars they own. What's even worse are the morons who think that their lifted Dodge Cummins diesel pickup on oversized tires is superior to my Smart... they get the whole superiority complex kicking in, and insist on either not letting me pass them, or passing me no matter what speed i'm going. I just laugh and thing to myself "Whatever, buddy... i'm still doing 70 and getting 40+mpg. What are you getting? 19?"

Though... now that i think about it... i'm not sure if it's surprising people who think that my car would be really slow on the pickup... or just that those people are busy staring at my car and didn't realize the light actually changed colors. See some really scary people driving my car. Was going down 7th street in Allentown the one day, 6-lane road... 3 each way... a friend of mine was in the passenger seat, and all of a sudden he just starts laughing. I look over, and the first thing i see is that the guy in the car immediately beside us... isn't even paying attention to the road. He's just staring out his window at my car. I'm just sittin there like "WTF IDIOT! Eyes FORWARD!"

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm a bus driver so I see lots of terrible driving on a daily basis. Just last week I saw an accident happen right in front of me because someone decided to pull out into a turn lane at full speed no less without looking. The poor sap pulling up to the line to make the turn got just smacked.

I also saw a BMW driver just run a red light without any regard. I mean, he just didnt even care. I know he saw it, I was stopped, and the light had been red for at least 15 seconds. He just blazes on through, doing like 50 miles an hour.

16. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Don't even get me started with BMW drivers....every time I see one I wait for a prick move...and 99% of the time they do not disappoint.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Respect y'all, great cars everyone :D I hope one day i'll get my drivers license.

Feel really ashamed of myself, 22 yrs old and no drivers license.

I've not even tried it...

18. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Im sure the netherlands has decent public transportation so dont be too hard on yourself. Over here in the states public transportation is non existent (or filthy and slow) in most places and its either drive or beg someone that can.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You'd think that, but here in Toledo we have a pretty great bus system actually. All of them are really clean and run on propane as well.

20. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    No comment on tarta lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.