1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    very nice and clean 350z!
    I love the Z series, i'd buy a Nimso 370z if i had the necessary cash. :D

2. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    LoL yeah, I'd buy a Nismo 370Z too! However they are way more expensive atm.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Figured this thread could do with bumpage.

Made some progress with my '74 Z:

I painted the engine bay a few months ago but only just had some time to start putting it back together. Everything was knackered, wiring was shot and rust was everywhere, unhealthy amounts of grinding, sanding and acid was required. It doesn't look too bad actually, a lot better than it was anyway.

Some before shots:

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG]

let the grinding begin...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

POR-15 time
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

My inspection lamp now works :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

It looks a bit weird, the camera on my phone isn't good with lots of white levels. I've also rewired the charging system to accept an internally regulated alternator, the old voltage regulator box now holds the guts of the excitation resistors and anti run-on diode. Rebuilt the distributor too, it has advance again :infinity:

[​IMG]

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Much respect. I love the old Datsun. New paint looks clean.

I was wondering where this thread went haha. My story since then was, I was going to pick up a new car last year, but didn't really need one then, so I waited. Back then I wanted either the 2012 Subaru WRX STI or a 2006-2008 Lotus Elise/Exige.

This year, the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S (same car) comes out and I think I'll be picking it up for sure. Just so happens to be much cheaper than the previous cars I wanted too, so it's probably the wiser decision.
    I wanted the BRZ, but I contacted a Subaru dealership about it, and they said pre orders are already sold out, so I gotta go with the Scion version...Nothing wrong with Scion badge, I just think their cars lose value kinda quickly. This car would be a really good project car if you bought it used a few years from now.

[​IMG]
    Specs:
    -two door
    -Rear wheel drive
    -200HP Subaru boxer engine, 2.0litre, N/A
    -150ft lbs tourqe
    -2762lbs
    -0-62 @7sec
    -$25K

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Morbias, where did you get all your car knowledge from? I want to get to where you are where I can build a project car in my spare time.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I had to sell this one last year. I still miss my G6 GXP a little bit, but not as much as I thought I would when I had to part with it (various reasons).

[​IMG]

I didn't have alot to spend last summer when I replaced the '08 G6. while looking at luxury/sport sedans on craigslist, every Acura or whatnot that I'd call about had just been sold moments before. Frustrating. I stumbled into a 2002 Infiniti Q45 Sport for a really low price and jumped on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a lot more car than I'm used to. Super Luxury. ...and, it's huge. It's powerful (340hp, I think) and it just plain glides down the road. Mileage could be better (17/26), but for how big this thing is, that's not too bad. The cost of parts is high, but it hasn't needed much. A light bulb here and there.

I had it up to nearly 120 and it felt like 60.

I don't know if I can ever go back to driving a regular car again. Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Lexus.

As it is, I love this car, I want to buy the last model year Q, the 2006, with every bell and whistle they threw in those. Even 6 years old, they're still kinda spendy. Mine's paid for, which is a relief.

7. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Here's my little baby Golf

[​IMG]

4Motion with 2.8V6 engine@~204hp

8. morbias

GPU:
    -
    I bought the car without knowing anything at all, it's pretty much a learn as I go thing. The fact that it's completely knackered means I'll end up learning more I suppose!

Once you take things apart it's a just case of working out how to fix it then putting it back together. If you get stuck on something then there is always google -- be prepared to do a lot of reading and accept you'll have no spare time left to do other things whatsoever.

FULMTL - have you seen the 'barebones' FR-S? I'm not sure if they sell it outside of Japan but they give you a basic car with no alloys or painted bumpers so you can bolt on all the aftermarket bits you want while saving money at the same time. Pretty cool idea for a car like this.

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Just looked it up, and yeah the US won't be getting that. I will be getting the base version because I don't care for GPS, leather, or satellite radio. I will be swapping out some parts for sure, but trying not to go overboard, or else I should just buy something else.

I'm not really liking that rear plastic. When a functional alumimum or carbon fiber diffuser comes out, I'll replace it. It looks plain from the rear compared to the concept. Definitely could use a new straighter/lightweight exhaust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    vs concept
    [​IMG]

**Just read through the fresh BRZ reviews. I wasn't as excited as first, but holy crap, I'm excited now. Definitely worth the $25K.

"In a word: sensational. It is a riot to pilot." -Autoweek
    "I haven’t had this much driving fun in a long time..." -Road & Track
    "Profound control. Think Lotus Exige/Elise or Porsche 911 GT3...the BRZ encourages full-attack driving on unfamiliar roads well into triple digits...the car is a stunning experience. It is one of the most rewarding cars we've ever driven." -InsideLine
    "The BRZ is undeniably superb...For pure, unadulterated driving delight, the BRZ packs a knockout punch." -Motor Trend

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  10. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Bought this beauty on Friday:

[​IMG]

One of just 1200 Integra Type-R's here in germany, with only 91.000km.
    I still kinda miss my cute little Civic though...

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    [​IMG]

Had a cleaning session on Saturday. The oldest car in the carpark is also the shiniest :D

12. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Since I still lurk these forums... I remember I posted a picture of this thing a while back.

Though I'd post an up-to-date picture. :D It sits 1/2" lower in the back now than when this picture was taken...

[​IMG]

13. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Making me want to clean mine again lol.

Need to get pressure washer me thinks.

14. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Nah, handwash it very gently... :D

15. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Looking good! Are they the new Rota RKRs?

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Nah, foam it and rinse with a light mist.

And an electric polisher as the country lanes are killing my paint!

17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    Fixing my water vehicle (also known as boat) for the next summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  18. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Thank you, you're Z is looking fine as well!

WTF ROTA makes Watanabe copies now aswell? No, they are Konig Rewind(Watanabe copies) 15x7 +0's with 195-55-15's.

Besides, datsun are 4x114.3, rota makes mostly 4x100.

Handles nice now. :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  19. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    Here's my baby, a (January) 1994 Mercedes W202 C250 Diesel 4 speed automatic that never breaks down and fixes itself in the rare case it does.
    [​IMG]

The only thing that has been changed on her are light bulbs.
    Sadly, last year she was parked outside for one night: Carat wheels stolen, antenna broken off, star broken off, giant scratch on the passenger side going full body length.

~Aeny

20. GSB

GSB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    Yo morbias, my ma had one of those when I was a toddler, my Grandpa (who was a metal fabricator and engineer for the NASA Apollo missions) told my Dad once "that car has the worst electrical system I've ever seen on a mechanical piece of equipment, it is almost a guarantee it will catch fire at some point" lol... so be careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.