1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vega64 Red Devil - video issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 386SX, Nov 21, 2018.

1. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi all.

I guess you have seen something like this and may lead me to a solution: a GPU switching off while gaming, yesterday this happened even on Desktop / almost idle. In addition sometimes since a few days the system hangs occasionally, on load, on idle, sometimes "when Jupiter is near Uranus" (without any notable reason).

I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider => able to play for say half an hour or an hour, then *BLINK* and monitor goes dark. A look from above into my tower shows the red RD LED logo is off. Keys and mouse does NOT work, neither does my power button (!!!). The reset switch PARTIALLY works (haven't seen something like this anywhere), it kills the machine, reboots it but still the GPU is OFF (no LED, nothing) and finally I had to kill the machine by PSU switch (I know, the worst way, but nothing helped!).
    Going back to Desktop and looking into EVENTVIEWER and found something I think, besides the message Windows didn't shutdown properly (event 41) and some event related to "Kernel power" with "ID 172" I don't understand:

Code:
    Verbindungsstatus im Standbymodus: Disconnected, Ursache: NIC compliance

Connection status in standby mode: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance
    This happened 1 second after the "unsuccessful shutdown" message, it's the next event.

In addition I have HUNDREDS of these messages:

Code:
    Die Anwendung \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\AMD\CIM\BIN64\RadeonInstaller.exe mit der Prozess-ID 8568 hat das Entfernen oder Auswerfen für das Gerät PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1453&SUBSYS_87471043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&09 beendet.

The application (>>NAME<<) with process ID >>ID<< has finished removing of ejecting the device PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1453&SUBSYS_87471043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&09 
    Before those they try to remove
    Code:
    ACPI\PNP0A08\0
    , whatever this may be.

The processes differ, but ranging from ASUSsuite and RadeonInstaller to SVCHOST.EXE or daemontools. Why the heck do those want to remove some PCI device? It seems to be a "PCI bridge". But they are THOUSANDS to try to remove the device. I got 2374 warnings in eventviewer, and about 2350 are from those!

It's driving me nuts! And AMD's driver update mechanism seems to be somewhat broken, too.
    I installed the "old" 18.10 chipset drivers, followed by the 18.11.1 GPU drivers I had on my HDD still after reinstall of Win10 1809.
    The GPU driver told me "18.9.3" would be recommended. After saying OK install told me I would be "up2date" and didn't install any driver (therefore I went with 18.11.1 on second run). 18.11.1 then told me there was "a newer driver" 18.11.2 available (OK, download) and 18.11.2 recommended 18.9.3 again.

So probably I am too "unused" to use AMD, so here a few questions regarding all this:

- First: Because of these issues, should I return my card? It is still brand new and warranty would cover me completely.
    - Otherwise: What could be the issue here?
    - Then: What's with the drivers? I am running R7-1700 w/ 16GB DDR4-3200 @14-14-14-28-1T on an ASUS X370 Strix mobo with the Powercolor Vega 64 Red Devil as GPU. And in what order should I install? I learned "go from the center to the outer things" so mainboard/CPU first, then all what's plugged into the mainboard, then other things.
    - Why do these 18.9.x and 18.11.x driver branches exist? Is there a specific reason? I found both "valid" for my RX64, but why are there two?
    - My PSU is a Seasonic 850W 80+ Bronze, but no OC is done at all, so in theory and practice this should still work, right? The system was rock stable with my previous GTX970 (except the DP issue, but no "hang" at all).
    - I am not able to run ANY games continously if they are newer gens with better GFX. But at the same time I am able to run the newest Leisure Suit Larry and a lot of "older games".

@OnnA / @Agent-A01 :
    OnnA, you have plenty of experience with AMD devices, probably you could help me out here?
    Agent-A01, I know you have an immense knowledge of hardware specs and stuff, probably it's related to something I didn't consider yet.

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    First try to make windows Your own.
    Drive C: Security Tab -> add this two
    Administrators
    Authenticated Users
    Tick all Boxes.
    ---
    Reboot
    ---
    2nd. Make sure to uninstall all AMD/ATI drivers by DDU/Or Uninstall
    ---
    3rd. Install only 18.11.1 WHQL & amd-chipset_18.10_1018.Oct26
    Reboot

You should be Fine after that :):cool: -> Check, Game etc.
    if OK
    4th. Install 18.11.2 Pre-WHQL to be Game Ready (New drivers are almost always best)

==
    Here is comprehensive Thread for Gaming:
    -> https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/fine-utilise-power-of-radeonpro-software-sweetfx.398484/

It's now Fresh, but in the Old One You have more than enough Knowledge to be Radeon Gaming Ready :D

Note:
    WinX™ is as good as Se7eN™ or 8ight™ ;) but You need to do some steps, that needs to be done.
    Yes it was easier on Se7eN :rolleyes: but hey, we're not LAZY o_O

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    386SX likes this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Out of curiosity: What's the difference between 18.9.x and 18.11.x? 18.9.x always gets "recommended" by AMD software. Why?

I will try your steps right away after going back to win10 1803 (seemed more stable).

EDIT: And is this hang I experience a bug related to OS or drivers?

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Hard to say TBF.

386SX likes this.

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    DDU and install 18.11.2 right away, nothing else.

Maybe the PSU is breaking down?

386SX likes this.
  6. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Is there a test I could run to check if it's the PSU? I noticed the fan spins very high and therefore is very loud.

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    I dont think there is...maybe you have another good PSU from a friend to test in your system?

8. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    If you are using multiple M.2 SSD....do check.///
    -----------------------------------------------

9. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    No, just one Samsung 960 EVO as bootdrive.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Start with making sure that your GPU's physical connections (PCIe) are firmly in place.
    Then continue like this, proceeding down the line if it's not fixed.

1. Install Malwarebytes. Custom scan -> Check entire system disk.

2. Open an elevated command prompt and execute:
    Code:
    dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    sfc /scannow
    3. Try restoring some earlier restore point, and see if the issue is gone. (Was your PC working fine previously?)

4. Try with a fresh Win install on a separate partition/disk.

If the issue is not easily reproducible, I'd go straight to 4.
    If the issue persists then it's hw 99.9%, and needs to be worked from there.

GL

386SX likes this.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Uh btw... make sure that you're "losing" your display. As opposed to system going to (corrupted) unplanned/unexpected standby or hibernate.

Mobo, PSU etc are working, CPU fan is rotating? I'd prefer that (unplanned standby) to be the case, because that would likely be a sw issue.

12. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Short version: DDUing the driver for the N-th time solved it for now, let's see if it works tomorrow. :)
    So far I played for 3 hours and no fatal error.

*knocks on wood*

Thank you all for your tips and recommendations.

Noisiv likes this.
  13. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    UPDATE!

HURRAYYYYY! Finally I got something to work with:

... a BLUESCREEN! :confused:

atikmdag.sys is the cause and the reason is listed as SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION .

Happened ingame after say 15 to 30 minutes of play.

Seems it isn't over yet.

So I revert to go back to 18.11.1 as mentioned before. But this time I download BEFORE I DDU the drivers. :D

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    If your issues continue just want you to know that system OCs can cause display driver crashes, especially memory OC.

Before you write off the GPU as faulty I would run default clocks just in case.

Maddness, 386SX and OnnA like this.
  15. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I know, but no OC done on memory (or at all). The RAM runs at the timings set by this Ryzen memory app because on AUTO I get 15-15-15-something and if I only put in the obvious ones listed on the DIMM (14-14-14-34-2T / or 1T as we all do) the system is unstable regardless of GPU and the whole computer feels "sluggy" and "delayed responsive". But memory is set to SAFE profile and MHz is the kit standard 3200MHz, not tuned neither.
    GPU runs stock settings, too.

Today it ran fine, one crash of the game but still in OS and no BSOD. Since the following restart I played for ... say 2 hours probably and left AMD Link running: FPS around 60 - 70, 70 - 78 degrees celsius, 1500 - 2000 rpm at about 200 - 210 watts (so it says, I take it only for comparision) while GPU cores were at 99% and mem at about 60%. I even haven't had "time" to set GPU fan profiles.

EDIT: If there would be enough software which runs on Server 2016 I would try this.
    Btw.: Does the "unsupported hardware" message come if you run Ryzens or newer Intels on Server 2008 R2? (Server counterpart for Windows 7!) Would just be nice to hear, I would prefer 2012 R2 or 2016.

16. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    8 hours of continous play within 2 days.... :)

OnnA likes this.
  17. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
  18. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    No. It's an "M12II-850W" and gets annoyingly loud on load. Seasonic's PSU calculator said I would need to cover 732W. Seems like I really need a bigger one. Any recommendations (say min. 1000W, at least 80+ Gold and most important: as SILENT as possible!)?

Sorry for burrying out an old thread, but my errors are shy ones, they won't show up right away, you have to lure them out! :D

19. tarot

tarot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    The whole thing reaks of PSU issue.
    your vega on a bad day will use 300 watts the 1700 on a bad day a couple of hundred add the rest of the system to it I think you need a nice 1k or more ( I am using a corsair RM 1000) and it has lasted me years literally running an overclocked 1950x and overclocked v64 and three metric tonne of water-cooling gear including 8 140 fans 2 pumps etc so I am really happy with mine....oh and a perfect storm power day I get close to 900 watts and the thing barely breaks a sweat.

another thing I would ditch is the ASUS suite 9to test) I have never had any luck with that thing always caused me more grief than I care for.

386SX likes this.
  20. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Thanks! Sounds nice! :)

How silent is it? And is the "i"-model recommended to buy instead of the "x" one (see link below)? CorsairLink function? I had an H80i (AIO cooler) back then but found the Link software rather difficult to use and it looked like I would have taken my GUI design knowledge to use ... . :D
    I don't think I really need CorsairLink ... or ... "I do not want to need it" sounds better. Not another piece of s....oftware on my computer.
    Is there anything you could tell me about yours? "Issues" or "faulty series" I have to look after when buying?

Link:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cmp=1636897&cmp=1558691&cmp=1470984&cmp=1331032&cmp=1279307
    (This is the comparision I sorted out some days ago to have a look at later on. Look at the right!)
    [​IMG]