VBIOS modded to 1000W for GeForce RTX 3090 Hall Of Fame (HOF) Edition did not yield much

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, if they can edit the bios, they simply should tackle those "other limiters". Also, testing this under air is a waste of time. Should have done it at least with an AIO, or better, a full h2o loop.

3. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    They barely increased clock by 150 MHz, ofc it will not do anything regardless of power limits.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Isn't that something a few bios vendors just provides? Or maybe just EVGA but the XC bios bit.
    https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3090-FTW3-XOC-BIOS-BETA-m3124192-p108.aspx

I suppose for extreme overclocking it can be handy letting the GPU draw whatever it needs but I don't know I would assume voltage modifications would also be required particularly for the 3090 whereas for the 3080 with a bit less hardware it's somewhat more scalable before it caps out and might hit a higher clock speed and how that affects performance over having these additional cores and the scaling of these.

EDIT: Also I thought a 6-pin was 75w and a 8-pin 150w

So at 3x 8-pins and the 75W from the PCI-E going above something like 600W total draw sounds like it's going to be difficult but maybe a quality PSU and a solid PCB for the GPU related components like the VRM's and regulators and that can manage without funny looking burn marks.
    (~550W plus a bit extra.)

I don't know though, reading up about that fancy new one NVIDIA introduced it looks like the 12-pin can do almost 600W to 650W so that would be like 300W each for the 8-pins it goes into so maybe I'm entirely off here.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/n...cards-may-use-new-12-pin-pcie-power-connector

(It's not like it's static numbers or anything there's all kinds of fancy stuff with electricity and what not I read a recommended max value and yeah that sounds like a good figure to adhere to. :p )

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'll never understand the appeal behind overclocking really expensive hardware to have it fail a couple months down the line. These kind of videos influence people to try and then they're sad their hardware doesn't live long enough for them to plan the next upgrade!
    I think locking the clocks and undervolting is a much more satisfying game. Even a 2 to 5% underclock can grant a huge undervolt making the product more silent, cooler and live much longer.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That power usage lol, im surprised no one is making fun of it. If amd card was pulling 600W from the wall everyone would go brmm brmm...

patteSatan, jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Completely agree with you. It's just that this obviously is not a 24/7, but a record hunting OC thing. So it's not really about how much power it draws, but more "how high can we get under any circumstance". Which makes it only more wondrous to use the "worst" cooling method for a power hungry, max OC huge die space GPU.

BUT, we already know the 3090 isn't really a power saver and really is in love with out power sockets, especially if it's well cooled :D

Embra, jura11 and Undying like this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah ppl dont care..

Of course if someone forgot to put AMD's card with 1000W BIOS under water, he would be swarmed with death threats

9. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    It's a difference in pulling 600w with midrange performance vs 600w with the best performance avaiable.

I pulled 650w with Evga 780ti with evbot and watercooling years ago. It was the best performance, so it was ok :)

10. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    More then 200W extra to get 155MHz is maybe the worst scaling I have ever seen, that 1000W limit would maybe bring it to a 200 MHz overclock.

I understand completely why the 420W limit is there, everything above that does not look like it is worth it.

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You get better clocks by dropping the temp on the card, my Kingpin barely touches 450w and runs 2135-2160mhz stable in games.

DannyD likes this.
  12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

It's only ok if Nvidia does or intel.

Always double standard for AMD.

Undying and carnivore like this.
  13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Bloody hell, 2160mhz on a 3090 i can only imagine.:D

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    This Galax 1000W BIOS will shine under water or LN2, under air its quite wasteful to use it but people do use KPE XOC BIOS which is 1000W BIOS on air although that BIOS have all protection turned off or they're disabled

On my Palit RTX 3090 GamingPro I use KPE XOC BIOS which pulls something similar in region of 600-660W in Port Royal, in rendering it pulls 500W quite easily and in games 600-660W its quite easy hahaha and temperatures are in 33-36 °C in most of the cases, highest temperatures I have seen 38°C and highest VRAM and hot spot temperatures usually are around 60°C, not seen higher temperatures than 62°C on VRAM and OC with such BIOS is 2130-2145MHz in RT games and 2160-2175MHz in raster games, anything above that will crash, with stock 370W or KFA2 390W BIOS it would struggle hit in power limited games 2.0GHz, usually will bounce in 1965-1980MHz range with some spikes to 2010-2025MHz

RTX 3090 or 3080 are quite power limited and they're literally shine with higher power limits but still think using such high BIOS is not the best idea hahaha

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    .....not risky....if he/she knows how to desolder the bios chip and reprogram it (using SPI PROGRAMMER KIT)....and put it back again.....

but.....the above mentioned modding....is another level..

Kudos

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Galax released already 1000W BIOS which you can flash it on your RTX 3090 and same Asus and Kingpin released their XOC or 1000W BIOS

This SPI Programmer you want to use if flash fails and there is no way how to recover it or if you want to force flash it

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    This EVGA XOC BIOS is I think only 500W BIOS and in reality pulls something like 450-470W

This PCI_E power draw has been several times debunked, if you have quality power supply then you shouldn't be worried about power draw per PCIe, my GPU pulls something like 600-660W from 2*8-pin with maxed power limit

I have run on my Asus ROG RTX 2080Ti Strix XOC BIOS as my daily BIOS and no issues, I just capped power limit to 60%

Scaling of frequency on RTX 3090 is quite strange and in most cases you need to have good bin or you must be lucky with silicone lottery like I have been with my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix which could do 2205-2220MHz quite easily

My Palit RTX 3090 GamingPro is not bad although is not good too, its just average OC'er

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    More wattage is not answer for more performance, The architecture it self need to be improved

And if this proves anything it proves exactly that the architecture need to be changed for improvements

Maybe we will see better architecture next few gen that has lower wattage and better performance like we did with 1xxx series cause 2xxx and 3xxx cause is kind ridiculous.

Caesar likes this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I did the same thing on my 1080ti with similar result.
    An FE fitted with an Accelero Xtreme III cooler, this made it perform wonderfully + extremely quiet.
    While the Kingpin bios was able to run stable at +50MHz and not overheat, the amount of extra power required was silly and it had to be set permanently - even at idle.
    So I put the FE bios back on.

I havent been tempted at all to try the Kingpin 500W or 1000W bios on my Aorus 3090 Xtreme, even though the cooler is MASSIIIIVOOOO.
    I'm glad Hilbert did this experiment, my reticence is justified :)

ps with fans at 90% it runs at 2050 to 2100MHz with Cyberpunk while pulling around 430W.
    Havent tried undervolting yet ...

Maddness likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    All mfrs will push the boundaries of heat (power) again otherwise the one that doesnt will likely be the slower.
    I dont expect there to be any difference with next gen, they wont have more overclock headroom than we have now.
    ... there might be a difference, they could be even more maxed after improvements in power management.
    The only things that will allow higher performance are luck of the draw getting best silicon and/or better cooling (and perhaps a higher power bios).