1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vault of Fail #8

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
  2. squirrel007

squirrel007 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480
  3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  4. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  6. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Do you know what a digital cable does?

Or are you joking?

7. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    yeah i can never tell when milkbride's serious either outrance.

8. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

No, it's because with digital, you don't need to worry about attenuation. So, the high-priced cables are just a rip-off.

9. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I think he speaks, waits for reaction, then reacts accordingly. Like, if we flambe' him for the cable thing, he then will say "yeah dude, I know, I was just postin' somthin' about somethin' ", or something.

10. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    As are high-priced audio cables.

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Digital yes, analog no. Analog is a wave-form signal, and can be attenuated by impedance in the conductors.

12. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Are you saying that a $300 or $400 dollar set of audio/RCA cables are worth the price? It's obvious that you shouldn't use lampcord you found in the basement for your hifi stereo. Provided you are using the proper length and gauge for your power capacity, a decent oxygen-free copper wire will sound just as good as a $300 2-gauge monster-cable gold plated this and that blah blah (to my ears at least--and I have tried both, but not the absolute most expensive monster cable). The performance gains you get from hi-dollar audio cables can only be realized on a spectrum analyzer.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Only has 1 now....had 2 on Sunday morning....only 1 by Sunday evening....now looking at a Samsung 32" LCD that has 2 HDMI ports...and it's on sale!!!

With digital audio....you either get sound, or not. There is no middle ground. If it sounds like crap...it's the components, not the cabling. With analog...the cabling can make all the difference in the world though. With HDMI cables...either they're made to spec, or not. If they're made to spec, they'll all work the same and perform the same...regardless of the price.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.

14. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Not at all. Don't assume please.:nerd:

For speaker connections, high strand-count copper wire is best, gauge depending on application. RCA's, in a car, shielded and gold plated if possible; in a home, gold plated; both being high strand count. Optical, it really doesn't matter. Digital audio(the single orange RCA), doesn't matter.

The only reason the price should be high for digital cables is for long runs, otherwise you're being hosed. With analog connections(component RCA, speaker wire, s-video(who uses that, though?)) clarity is important, but there's no reason to buy a $200 1.5' RCA. It's all about reasonability.

15. squirrel007

squirrel007 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480
    Oops. I didn't mean to start such a war here. I just thought it was funny.

16. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Am I to understand the $200 gold printer cables aren't giving better quality Word docs?
    Dang! best buy promised me quality!!

17. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    awe my review was rejected

18. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    And you were right it is funny. It's not haha funny though. It's the kind of funny that makes you reevaluate your own conception of just how stupid some people are. Espcially the ones who wrote those ridiculous and obviously fake reviews. I'm willing to bet they work for either Best Buy or AudioQuest. I'm absolutely stunned by this. There are only 8 LCD TV's currently available at Newegg that cost more than this cable. There are just some levels of stupidity that I have never been able to understand and this is definitely one of them.

Now for something funny...

http://www2.razerzone.com/switchblade

The video is absolutely awful and is the only true fail. You have to click the learn more link in order to view it. The product itself is a decent concept but you of course still need a mouse which basically means that all it is is a fancy keyboard with a touch screen attached. The way they try to sell you on the keyboard is great. We've all been around the block on products like this before and there is no way in hell that keyboard will work as advertised. If it does it will be a nightmare to configure not the automated process there selling in the video. Anywho I just expect more from a company like Razer and this thing looks like an ill concieved project by a couple of shmucks they shouldn't have hired.

19. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

No war, just discussion.:)

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.