varying cpu temps while system is idle

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by PapaHomey, Nov 9, 2020.

1. PapaHomey

PapaHomey New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 TI
    I've been using Open Hardware Monitor to monitor my CPU temps, because I keep hearing my fans ramp up while the system is idle. I have an Asus Strix B450-F motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 overclocked to 4150 MHz, and the stock AMD CPU cooler. I also have 2 NVMe SSDs, 2 SATA SSDs, ODD, three 140mm case fans, and one 120mm case fan, all fans blowing inward to force a positive pressure condition in my case which is a Corsair 110R.

The temps while idle vary between mid 50's to low 70's celsius.

My question is why does the the temp in the processor vary while the system is idle when the voltage, and room temp don't change? Do I need a better cooler? Or, have I done something wrong in the overclock, I used CTR 1.1 beta 7 to do it. Or, is there something wrong with my CPU.

2. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Normal for Ryzen CPU’s. Adjust your fan curve to relieve the issue .

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    While my 3800x doesnt peek to 70c`s i think part of the issue is monitoring software itself making calls to the cpu as well as other programs running in the background, the worst culprit for me is opening a page with google chrome, my idle temps are usually around 42c but when open a page in google my temps just to mid 50`s but then settle to low 40`s again after a few seconds,idling in mid 70`s seems a bit excessive though...might be worth considering an aio cooler if your case has room for a dual fan rad at the front.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Lets be honest here stock 3600 cooler is just bad.

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    1st- stock cooler suck
    2 - oc not worth it, PBO/auto is better

Undying likes this.