Vaping Gurus

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Repo Man, May 27, 2018.

1. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    There's many great RDAs on the market nowadays for around $30. Drop, Dead Rabbit, Bonza, Pulse 24... They're all reasonably easy to build in, the easiest being the Pulse 24, probably, with it's postless design.

I love the Drop though, again, very easy to build in. You can buy some prebuilt coils, something like a standard Clapton or Fused Clapton, there's some quality Alien coils to be had too, I usually just make my own coils or buy the Aliens from here https://www.interstellarvaping.co.u...-coils-1/products/tri-core-alien-clapton-coil these are amazing!

Then you need to buy some cotton, this is my favourite cotton atm and it'll last you for a good while https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/rda-rdta-cotton-wick/cotton-bacon-prime-vape-rda-uk.html. Then you need some wire cutters and some screwdrivers, but RDAs usually come with a tri tool that will have everything you need anyway. Oh, you'll also need some tweezers, ceramic ideally so you can tweak your coils as you pulse them. Something like this will be perfect for the job https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aussel-Zir...pID=31c4Al2s7cL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

RDAs are easy, you undo the screws on the deck, pop the coils in, screw them in, wick them, juice them up and you're good to go. Watch some YouTube videos, maybe some reviews of the Drop, most reviews will show the reviewer dropping the coils in and wicking etc so you'll have an idea.

2. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Definitely a PG reaction. When I started vaping a couple of years ago, I was vaping on a 50/50 juice, I came up with a full body "rash". I didn't know what it was and I was trying to think about what I did differently in the last couple of days. I narrowed it down to vaping. I stopped for a few days and it went away. I was vaping on some cheap pen thing and it was spitting a lot and I drank a lot of juice lol.

Then I switched to 70/30 juices and a different device and never had the problem since. Some people still can react to PG in 50/50 juices but most juices now come in 70/30 anyway so it's not an issue.

airbud7 and Stormyandcold like this.
  3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I definitely feel different since I switched to vaping. When I used to roll my own smokes I'd go to bed at night and my chest would be wheezing quite badly or so I was told by the missus, even more so when I had a drink and also around mid to late summer I would need an inhaler as I would get shortness of breath quite badly and I have never been diagnosed with asthma or anything of the like. Today I have very little breathing difficulties, no wheezing at night unless I've vaped lots of slightly sharp liquid just before laying down, I only touch my inhaler if the hayfever season is really bad and it has to be REALLY bad.

The only real side effect I've had is that if I drink heavily I tend to vape more and both the vape and the alcohol dehydrate you which means a hangover from hell but a decent meal and a good deal of water during a session sees me through it fine.

In other news, got my OBS Engine 2 RTA today and its up and running and I'm liking it. Vapour is as dense as you'd wan't but alas the hayfever season is playing up with my senses so I havent been able to taste much today. What little I did taste though was probably the best RTA I have owned. Hopefully my senses clear up come morning as they usually do and I get to enjoy this tank to its fullest.

Few minor issues though...

1. As many reviewers have pointed out, the grub screws are philips heads and the screwdriver provided is a bit of a loose fit, meaning that I can see myself stripping these screws in the long run unless I invest on some better screwdrivers. Would have preferred flat head screws, might dig through some of my spares to see if I can find some that fit.

2. The deck wasn't quite as big as the reviews lead me to believe. My first build was a pair of 2.5mm ID aliens and they fit snug but I wouldn't go beyond that as fitting in the 2.5's left me with maybe a millimeter or so of room to play with and adjust. Also 5 wraps was a bit of a fiddly job to squeeze in so this is definitely for thinner wires and shorter coils. I'm thinking something in the region of 28-30 gauge wire, 4 wraps around 2.5mm ID would probably be good. Not a major issue but will limit your options if you like to experiment with bigger coils.

3. The included pyrex glass tanks are VERY fragile, guess they had to cut corners somewhere and this was it. Upon putting the tank back together I managed to crack the glass and I wasn't even applying THAT much pressure. I've messed around with plenty of tanks in my 2 years of vaping and never had one break on me, these glass sections included with the Engine 2 are by far the thinnest I've dealt with and I've been unable to track down a supplier for a spare in the event I break the spare that came with the tank.

Whats good then ?

1. As mentioned above, the vape is delightfully dense and saturated unlike say with the Geekvape Zeus single coil version where the amount of airflow made the vape quite dry in a way.

2. Easy to take apart and put together with only 3 pieces + drip tip.

3. Airflow is spot on, I had some reservations about it as its a 510 driptip and the bore on the top cap is the same size but its actually brilliant.

4. Leak free, yay!

5. The sliding top cap makes it easy to refill.

6. Wicking... I overstuffed the wick ports a bit like I always tend to do with a new atty but it still wicks like a champ with no dry-hits in sight and I've chain vaped this thing at 90 watts which is pretty hefty for an RTA with the coils coming in at 0.14ohms. I know I can make do with less wick which should result in an even better flavour but for now I'm gonna roll with the current build.

All in all VERY pleased so far minus the cracked glass so if anyone decides to get this, please remember to be gentle when you screw the deck back in.

drandiiski, Killian38 and airbud7 like this.
  4. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    Stopped smoking 4 years ago. I can't remember what I started vaping with back then. Bought it at a smoke shop in town. It was not a sub ohm back then. It was high nic level juice tho. 3 years ago I went Sub ohm rebuildable and have not went back. Been using the Griffin for a very long time! Zero leaks. Just change the o-rings often and wick it correctly. I use a cheap juice from Slims. Good stuff. All of their juice has been good but I love the Blue Ice. I now have No more coughing and walking up very step hills is not an issue. I smoked Cigs for 15 years befor hand. When I went to bed at night it was hard to breath. Vaping ended all that. It's like I never smoked.

I'm not saying vaping is good for you. I have no idea what it's doing to me now. But I do know for a Fact what Cigs did to me back then. On the lowest level nic juice I can get atm without cutting it with zero nic juice. My plan is to be done with vaping in the next year or 2.

Edit: I guess I could add a bit of detail about my old tank I can't let go of. Dual clapton coils running .16 ohms at 40ish watts. Any more and it gets to hot for me. I have 3 or so mods. All from different mfg's. Hard for me to say which is better. They all seem to work about the same. I only hate on em when they break which isn't often.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    airbud7 and Stormyandcold like this.

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This is the logic I use too. I worked with this guy a few years ago and he bought a shitty cig-a-like to try out on a bit of a whim and as suspected it didn't take him long to go back to smoking. Then I started vaping and ran into him a year later when he had changed jobs and we were talking about vaping and I told him he should consider giving it a proper go with some proper kit this time. His response was "Well what puts me off is that as its still fairly new, we don't know what the long term side effects could be"... and theres me stood thinking hes choosing to smoke and we know damn well what the long term effects of that is and vaping has been declared a 95% safer alternative. I left him to his coffin nails and haven't brought up the subject since, some folk like their smokes and thats their choice.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    We don't know what vaping is doing to us, long term, not yet, it'll take a few years, if not decades. One thing we know is it doesn't kill your lungs like cigarettes, we've all seen the videos of lungs being pumped full of cigarettes and how black they came out and how vapour pumped into them made them look as good as new.

Also, we know for a fact that we're not putting any dangerous chemicals into our body and we know that we can vape nicotine free.

I choose to vape 3mg because I like that tiny bit of a throat hit. It's still less than the Marlboro Gold I used to smoke.

We're also saving a lot of money vaping, on average I'll spend around £60/month vaping, including juice, cotton, coils... Smoking, I was spending around £250/month.

We also don't smell like crap, our fingers don't smell like crap, our hair doesn't smell like crap.

From all we know so far, vaping is a lot better for our body than smoking. So I will always encourage people to switch because we know smoking actually does kill.

Long term, we still don't know.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    New wires arrived yesterday but didn't have a chance to mess around with them as I finished work late and today I'm starting early so it was a case of dinner and bed basically. Got the weekend off so will be messing around for sure! The Juggernaut wire I ordered looks nuts, will be interested to see how it is to build and what sort of resistance it comes out at and most of all how it vapes, already have builds in my mind. The Digiflavor Drop is probably getting a 5 wrap 3mm ID coils and my Vandy Vape Bonza gets a heftier 5 wrap 4mm ID coils, I would prefer 4mm ID coils in the drop too but have found 3mm provided better flavour with the liquid I use.

Also had some simple round 0.6mm stainless steel wire come in, thats going into my new Engine 2 probably as a 2.5mm ID spaced micro coil, wraps on that I'll decide on the fly, hoping to make a shorter coil but would like to keep the resistance around the 0.20 or 0.25 ohm mark but main aim is to have a quick ramp up and cool down which shouldn't be an issue as I got plenty of experience with these sort of builds from my days of messing around with the Tsunami 22 RDA and Griffin 25 Plus RTA.

And no I will not use steam engine because to this day I haven't figured out how to dial in accurate values to get a reliable answer so I just sort of wing it and rely on experience and what my mod tells me. :p

Might post a few pics of the builds if I get around to it.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Do post some pictures man! As for steam engine, well if you go for simple builds it is pretty accurate, but i you start wrapping multiple wires it may get complicated..

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    This part helped to improve my relationship a lot. That includes sex-life as my other half no longer has to worry about toxins getting into her breasts when I [snip]. She was always paranoid about that because of me smoking.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    It would have another area I would have worried about toxins lol.

Stormyandcold likes this.

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Did a few builds with the new wires yesterday, first up was the .6mm SS wire and I was surprised to find out how stiff it was after using .4mm so long and the build came at a low 0.12ohms. Sorry for image quality, couldn't be bothered to dig out the dslr and settled for the camera on my phone.

[​IMG]2018-06-01_08-49-16 by Heikki Hayrinen, on Flickr

Then as a complete contrast to that I did a build with the juggernaut and it was so springy and loose, almost like metal yarn or something. Wrapped my first coils around 4mm ID, looked at it and went "nah, no way!" and as I let go of the wire it loosened up around the screwdriver and came more close to 5 or 6mm ID. Made another set of coils around 3mm and even they were touching the barrel of my Bonza.

Here's a pic of the first set.
    [​IMG]2018-06-01_08-50-25 by Heikki Hayrinen, on Flickr

Resistance came surprisingly high too at around 0.27ohms, fluctuating to 0.34ohms under use so I think I'm gonna revisit this when I'm in a better mind for it. After that quick experiment I decided to leave the old aliens in the Drop as it sees a lot of use atm and didn't want to ruin it.

The new build in the engine 2 is pretty good though and I find spaced coils so much better in an RTA as I always use contact coils in my RDA's. My next step is to try and figure out how to cram in a spaced build with a more complex wire. Even though this build is ok, I prefer the more fuller flavour and saturated vape of a complex wire.I have to probably keep the coils down to around 4 wraps but thats going to pull the resistance down a bit so making the coil at least 3mm ID or even 3.5mm would be ideal but then its going to be a tight squeeze to get the coil to fit in.

...and thats one of the reasons I love vaping, so many options to experiment with and consider to get the best out of a rebuildable or if thats not your cuppa, then just get a stockcoiler, juice it up and go!

airbud7 and drandiiski like this.
  12. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ordered another lot of wires to test out. Went for a thinner 24/38 AWG Flapton for the Engine 2. Did a 4 wrap, 2.5mm ID build, a shorter coil that I normally use and this thing has now properly come alive! Too bad the liquid I got in it atm is not the greatest. Using Ribena ( blackcurrant juice ) flavour and I got 120ml of the stuff too. Good thing it only cost me about 14 quid with nic shots from drip drop vaporz.

The Siren 2 mtl tank has also found plenty of use as I put some 50/50 El Diablo St. Louis in there, a tropical pineapple concoction and it is awesome stuff but quite expensive. At £12.50 for 30ml I can just about justify it for MTL vaping.

13. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Ordered the Intake RTA by Augvape and Mikevapes and the Ehpro Prime “mech” mod with it. Should be a good combo. As for liquids, I’m struggling a bit at the moment. Still can’t find an all-day-vape one, but even worse, at the moment I can’t find anything I really enjoy. Given my location it is somewhat normal – limited choice of mostly cheaper liquids. Looks like I’ll have to pay a visit to the only good vape shop in this country and get me something of higher quality…

@Repo Man an did you fix you Siren issues? May be the thinner liquid did it, or new wire?

Repo Man likes this.
  14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah as I sort of suspected it was definately a case of just using a thinner juice even though a lot of the reviews said the Siren works fine with thicker stuff... Sure it wicks them fine but the flavour imo doesn't come through very well.

Let us know how that Intake works out will you, curious about it as it looks a really decent design.

15. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I see. Well the Intake is still on pre-order with shipping on the 30th, so ain't gonna be here soon :)

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  17. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What sort of device would you vape it on again ? If any stock coil setup, the liquid will probably destroy your coil in a few days as a lot of American liquids ( going to assume its American but I could be wrong ) have a tendency to contain a lot of sweeteners that gunk up and then destroy your coil. If you're using a rebuildable tank or a dripper, then its not so much an issue since you would just rewick as soon as the flavour goes off a cliff. Personally I wouldn't pay 20 quid for 60ml with so many great juices around for a lot less. Plenty of websites that will sell you up to 120ml's for 14 quid for example.

Dripworx was recently acquired by Rejuiced and the site is now back online and they are busy restocking some of their goodies. If you got a sweet tooth, check out their Strawberry Custard Cream when its back in stock. In the meantime you can try their OG Shakes range https://dripworx.co.uk/

10 quid per 50ml + 1 free nic shot that nets you 60ml of 3mg liquid, decent price for some quality juice.

Alternatively check out Caledonian Vapes or the shortfill range of drip drop vapours.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Unfortunately I haven't got a suggestion as its not a flavour type I like. All I can recommend is going through websites to see what you can dig up. Rejuiced has some dessert liquids in their range https://rejuiced.com/eliquid-categories/dessert-eLiquids

Worth a punt at their prices and their liquids are generally pretty kind to coils as well so if you find one you like you won't blow your coil in a matter of few days.

https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/ stocks a fair bit of Eliquids from around the world and I would imagine you'll find your flavour style of choice on that site without breaking the bank so its up to you to try them out. I recently ordered from them and it was easy peasy and pretty fast too.

kanej2007 likes this.
  20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Cheers, I'll check out both.

I am aware of the site www.vapeclub.co.uk, however, where does one start? Litereally over 1000 flavours!

Something like this I'd probably like, the reviews are enough to entice me to buy it:

https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/bakery-flavour-eliquids/mega-apple-crumb-eliquid-by-verdict-vapors.html