Valve's SteamOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scatman839, Sep 23, 2013.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's funny because I already play console games and use Windows 8. What Valve is doing here is the very definition of unnecessary change, because..

This is basically spot on. Valve is using their muscle to create their own walled garden, in response to Microsoft doing it.

Gaming is fragmented enough already, this is just going to add to the platform bias that's already stupidly common. I can see it already, new Valve games being SteamOS exclusive. Because how else are they going to get people to migrate? And having to have a dual boot with SteamOS is worse than EA games being Origin only.

I'm far more excited for the prospects of Mantle than the idea of SteamOS.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Id love to see a new OS, but if its built solely for gaming purposes, i feel that they're going to have a hard time pushing such a thing, remember, MS is only as big as it is because it's OS was built more for the purposes of Office and school use, with gaming came last, if not completely ignored.

So without a secondary incentive, i think steam OS is not going to be such an easy thing to make a reality to the point of no longer needing Windows for gaming and devs will not like having to go through the process of having to make OpenGL versions of their games along side the console version, i mean as of this upcoming gen, we are closer than ever before at having architectural system unity in the gaming industry between the pc and both consoles, this i feel, is just going to undo everything...

que rubbish ports.

Also, im not a OS expert, im just basing my opinion on what ive read and possibly misunderstood.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    SteamOS has potential.....but it's not something that will take off over night, nor is it something that's going to ever compete with Xbox and PlayStation or Windows. They'd be lucky to compete with Nintendo....

It's going to be an uphill battle and I fully expect the initial release to fail heavily.

The Xi3 Piston is expected to be among the first "Steambox" to hit the market, with a price tag of around $1000USD. At that price, I can game on Windows with a much more capable hardware list than what the Xi3 Piston has. The specs for the Xi3 Piston position it as an entry-level system with a much higher price tag than an entry-level system should ever have. I mean, honestly, it's similarly spec'd to my HTPC...which can't even run WoW at reasonable framerates. It's quite possible that SteamOS will eventually gain traction....but by the time that happens, it's likely to be too late for SteamOS To even matter.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    hmm i wonder if the 5treaming part of steamos would run fine through vmware

5. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    You don't understand Valve at all nor have you read any of their Q&A's about SteamOS. It's an open platform. There will never be any SteamOS exclusive games and they will just as well continue to support everything else that is out there.
    You are stuck with egocentric business models (like EA's) in your mind. Valve is going to succeed because it cares about what it's doing rather than just thinking about money like other companies.

There will be countless mods and pieces of software available in the future created by other people than Valve that make SteamOS a better place. In fact Valve even encourages you to do this.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Another person using the tried and tested, you hate it because you're too comfortable with what you have got. It is a shockingly simple retort whe the reality is that the reason so many people aren't jumping head long on the SteamOS bandwagon like giddy teenage girls at a 1D concert is simply because Valve haven't announced anything that is worth getting all giddy about.

At what point did asking 'what exactly is the point of this product' automatically become I am scared of change?

Oh by all means continue to spout off about how open source it will be, how it will be custom built for playing games and how wonderful you think Valve are and as a result anyone questioning it must be afraid of change but right here and right now we have no viable benchmark for the system, all we have to go on is what Valve have told us and for the most part it smells like compromised b*ll**** wrapped up in a thinly veiled scent of O de Gabe.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    You're way off base there. I was referring to the people who are bashing it. The same product as you say has had little to announce. Hating something based on the idea that it will be different than you currently know.
    I don't know if you are scared to change or not? Are you? I don't care but you seem to be defending yourself as if are. We know little to nothing yet you come off as completely against it. Same goes for anyone who is "giddy" over it. A normal person would just think "interesting" and pursue positive ideas of how it might work out or not work out, not get all up in arms just because it doesn't use the same old archaic input methods.

As far as open source, that means little to me but I foresee tons of knockoff distro's just like Linux has which only serves to confuse anyone who isn't geeky enough to stay on top of it.
    You can make me out like I love some OS based on an OS I really dislike all you want but I'm getting a PS4, not steambox, screw you all but I also wont just spout negativity about it and anyone who likes the idea either just because it's different. As I mentioned before, these are the very reasons I would suspect it won't do too well. It would be nice for the PC gaming community if it did as it might bring in more console players in the future and knock the edge MS and Sony keeps obtaining but negative nancies like yourself obviously don't want that.

8. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I think the Steam OS allows developers to still make games without having to deal with Microsoft and pay them money to use their features like DirectX and all the other stuff.

The cost to make games is becoming ridiculous with all the licensing fees and what not. It boggles the amount of money the developers actually receive or ability for them to hire staff to work on their titles. It is pretty obvious that games not made by major studios backed by publishers face this problem. Indie titles have difficulties they never had back in the early days of making games. This is why we see hardly any innovation anymore because publishers and AAA studios want to play it safe.

Steam OS and OpenGL will support the Indie developers. This is good for developers, the giants keep trying to step out the little guys and by hiring them, then making them slaves who take it up the ass to develop games they don't fully own. I am glad Valve is not allowing this to happen and giving new developers a place they can try out ideas.

Does anyone remember how Mods at one time, were the one part of gaming where innovation really flourished? Many of those ideas were taken and added to games in the future. Many companies are stopping support of Modding in their titles. They want to keep DLC and all that other stuff as a way to make more money rather than allowing the community to develop it for themselves. Steam OS using Open GL will allow people to create games for free on a OS that will be supported much like how Mods were supported back in the day!

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Think for a second, if it was going to be truly open, you could get any game offered for free. It's going to be a standard Linux distro with a closed source Steam environment built in. That's really it.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I am gonna go to my default position for this topic. I don;t care about SteamOS or Steam Boxes long term future. If Valve want my business or for that matter the business of anyone else who apparently 'is afraid of change' then they need to WOW us with something that makes us think, that looks great.

The announcements last week, save for the controller, failed to do this. They in fact did the exact opposite they left a sense of 'what's the point of this product?' now you can blame the negative nancy but end of the day if I am reading their announcement and thinking 'why would I buy this?' or 'what's the point of this product?' then that is no bodies fault but Valves.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely people are allowed to be negative about things, if you don't like the sound of something you should be allowed to voice your opinion?

Even though i believe this will never amount to anything big, i agree with something someone else mentioned that will will fragment the market and lead to PC ports becoming poorer.

It didn't help that AMD and EA completely upstaged them with the Mantle announcement.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I never said anyone couldn't have a negative opinion I was actually talking about being a little open minded towards change in earlier responses to some writing off the new gamepad and OS without knowing of a final product. We are very adaptable creatures by nature, we can adapt to extreme climates...etc but change someone's UI or game input device and all hissy fits break loose. I'm just saying stubbornly clinging to old ways is not a very healthy way to evolve with the future IF that's what it comes to.

Linux distros have movies,software and games you can purchase online and aren't those app stores open source?
    I may be wrong but I don't think the ability to alter code for an online shopping app for example can somehow help you use a fake CC and force a digital transaction from a server. Again I may be wrong.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Linux does, however, Valve plans to lock SteamOS strictly to the embedded Steam app for all software and entertainment downloads. Valve has even gone to the extent of removing browser support from SteamOS from what I understand. They are actually working to make SteamOS a "walled garden" where software is only available from the embedded Steam app and not from 3rd party sites. That hardly makes for an open platform. If Valve has any ability to restrict what software users can download/install....then the platform is not open.