Valve's SteamOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scatman839, Sep 23, 2013.

1. JoseyWales

JoseyWales Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 2GIG
    I beg to differ. There are allot out the that could care less about Windows and only buy and build uber rigs for the gaming. Some like me will like both as I do allot of work on my PC/GameRig.

There are those that only PC game through steam. It's just convenient and there was no competition until the last year or so. Well not so much competition but other alternatives, most being forced like Origin and their AAA games.

Having a box just for gaming that you can easily take with you is a great idea. Been doing it with consoles for decades now. Being able to upgrade or build one on your one is what's new and exciting.. It opens up a whole new nitch and could help to steer consoles in the direction of upgradability over their lifetime.

I for one have never bought a console as I have and always will be a PC gamer. Consoles never had much value to me and I found the games to be way over priced for the sub par graphics you had to put up with Not to mention the controller, game pads suck for gaming as they dumb it all down and precision goes out the window.. With PC games we always get the deals after awhile and generally you could build a pretty nice rig just off of the money you save buying games over time. With this we can get the same deals we get every day on steam, summer sales and all..

I am wanting one of these for gaming unlike a console though. To me it has value and is something I would use and have fun tweaking and upgrading. If I want to put a 3tb drive in it I can, what ever I want for the most part. I will also enjoy the better graphics using it.. It will be a big win for me, I love cool new toys..

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    So what you're saying is, you want a PC. Which is exactly what Valve is offering you.

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Except that won't work, the tech guidelines for the 'Steambox' specifically say that it can ****** games from other devices. So unless Valve have managed to do something that no other Linux developer has done, i.e get a suitable stable, works 100% of the time emulation of a Windows powered PC without ANY of the overheads introduced from running an emulation of someone elses software then it is safe to assume that the ******ing feature is there to bridge the gap created by the total lack on intrest from games developers to port their games to Linux.

Valve are too late to the game, when PCs were big boxes full of tech this kind of idea may have gotten leverage but you can build a small sexy and very powerful PC that wouldn't look out of place in a home cinema and

Of the three announcements that Valve have given us the last one is the only one that garners any interest it looks like something interesting and maybe even a bit new rather than the first two announcements that come across as comical and meh, in that order.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

5. JoseyWales

JoseyWales Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 2GIG
    Pretty much.. The added part is the steam platform being built in, granted we need to see what it's going to be like or just what all we will be able to do with it but it seems pretty limitless. If it has browser, which it seems likely to have, I can use it in the same manner that I use the PC hooked up to my big screen now.

I use it for gaming and as an additional hopper for dish network. Works great with the dish anywhere stuff. I also use it for my vid and music collection and I would be willing to bet I can do the same on the Steam Box.

The nice thing is that it will basically create a new form factor that will also help to improve the mini pc/hdpc hardware choices we have. With Nvidia and Steam involved there will be money to make things happen.

The thing they are pitching, the steam os, will work with all the stuff out there now, for the most part, as long as there are Linux drivers for it. So instead of windows on my tv pc I have another option that will be better supported than any Linux distro out now or any other open source option. And a cool Steam logo'ed box if I want.

Only time will tell though. Until we see what they came up with, it's all speculation at this point..

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    We're sceptical because everything that Valve has shown us so far has been crap.

The last comment is hilarious, they are complaining that the next gen consoles have a weakness due to you losing your back catalog of games, surely that is an argument for sticking with Windows??
    Did they even think that through before they said it?

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    No what is more comical is just how close to the console situation the Steambox is, to play your old back catalogue you need to keep your current Windows PC from which to ****** the non Linux converted games, to play your old PS3 or XBox 360 games you need to keep your old console.

8. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I hope this fails miserably and Valve goes bankrupt. They suck. Announce Half Life 3 or don't do anything.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The Laughing Ma is that not what i was saying?

IcE, as much as i dislike Valve i really don't hope they go bankrupt, they do provide a good service to the PC community, unfortunately their arrogance has led them astray, but we all know they will bail on this when it goes horribly wrong.

HL3 fans can be happy though, the failure of this pushes Valve back to game development and not trying to be a shop like iTunes.

10. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    That is true, Valve is always first to bail when something isn't working as planned.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I think you misunderstood something. You won't be able to play all of your games on SteamOS... You'll be able to play any games that are Linux compatible directly from SteamOS. The rest of your games, will have to be st.reamed from a Windows or OSX based system.

Linux does in fact have overhead. Every operating system has overhead.

SteamOS will also lack most of the functions other Linux distros have....

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I hope it all succeeds just to piss you guys off. You guys could stand to get out of your comfort zone for once. That Windows PC pacifier you all been suckling on has left some of you too stuck in your old grandpa ways to try new things and experiences. I'm just saying it would be very sad if a potentially great gaming experience goes unnoticed due to the time it takes to get accustomed and comfortable with it all because of pure stubbornness like a kid who says he hates a veggie before ever tasting it.

I remember when the original NES gamepad was a vast difference to the joystick. No one new what the D pad was about or how it could function until we actually tried it. A lot of that early stuff was very new and strange but now that is mostly forgotten as even the oldest of us takes it for granted.
    Naturally most young kids would very quickly adapt to Valves new offerings as they have never settled to specific comfort zones yet and I'm certainly the few older gamers not afraid to try new things as I know it's possible to adapt to anything...it's all about making and breaking the comfort zones.

However this is why Valves new OS and gamepad will likely fail because everyone would have to drop what they have invested and re invest in something outside of comfort and familiarity

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    So many childish comments.

I like having options and not restricted to what I can buy.

14. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Why should we have to leave our comfort zones? Why do you seem to think that needless change is good? Get over yourself, please. Change for the sake of change isn't a good thing.

15. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You getting old IcE.

He actually has a point. Valve gives more options for games. Whether you take it or not it up to you. You can complaining as much as you want, but by the end of the day, there will be people enjoying new gaming experience and you stuck on your old.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    SteamOS will provide a limited number of games, without the need to have a Windows or OSX based system st.reaming games to it. The library of games compatible with SteamOS, is actually rather small so, your options for games is also going to be rather small. Unless of course, you have a Windows or OSX based computer to st.ream games from. SteamOS, can't function as a Windows or OSX replacement as it lacks a LOT of the core functionality found in a full OS. Valve has basically taken Linux and stripped out most of it's functionality. You'll be limited strictly to software available from Steam (yet supporters of SteamOS called Win8 a "walled garden")... There is almost no "openness" in Valve's approach with SteamOS. They've done everything they can to lock down SteamOS as much as possible, including removing the browser and browser support.

If you're looking for a console replacement.....or looking to replace your Windows or OSX based system, SteamOS isn't going to cut it. I'm not being pessimistic....I'm being realistic. I'm not saying that Valve has a bad idea. It's just going to be a hard sell with the limited game support for Linux and game developers aren't going to jump on "SteamOS" until it proves to be a viable market.

Valve isn't trying to reinvent the wheel, or revolutionize gaming. They're looking for more ways to monetize things people do every day....and they're hoping people will be dumb enough to lock themselves into SteamOS....where Valve/Steam is your only source for software.... Same thing Apple does with iOS and Microsoft does with Windows Phone....and Google does with all of their products...

17. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    This.
    Also how can you guys call Valve arrogant?! Isn't it arrogant of you guys to say that it will undoubtably fail in the first place? :stewpid:

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Needless change? If Nintendo said that in 1984, we would not be here talking about games. Maybe we should still be playing FPS games with just a keyboard alone, nothing like playing a 3d world with up/down keys.:pc1: The need is never known until change happens. At one time, cell phones were never thought to be needed either among hundreds of other things we enjoy today.
    New experiences in gaming is always needed, how else do we ever evolve from just sitting there at a desk with multiple peripherals just to perform the most basic virtual tasks. How else do we get PC gamers to talk using headsets like they do on xbox? How else do we move away from a lonely desk into the living room?....change, that's how.
    I have been tiring of manually doing everything on PC, from sharing vids to downloading individual drivers to countless tweaks..etc. Push of a button like on consoles is refreshing but the benefits of mods..etc for PC's does make SteamOS enticing even though I'll personally be moved to PS4 by then most likely.

Hate to tell you but eventually the rest of the world will move on farther away from PC gamers as time goes on as consoles introduce more and more new experiences and ways to play and interact with games. We need more companies like Valve to evolve as well....and they are not forcing you to throw away your kb anyway but if you continue in the comfort zone, you will eventually hate everything cause stuff like WIndows 8 is never going back to 7 and that goes for everything else as well.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm surprised at all the hate they're receiving just for a game which people will end up hating on because it won't live up to a decade's worth of expectations! Bring it on Valve! I'm very curious to see what they've got :D

People did say they were crazy for TF2 becoming F2p and look how that turned out :p

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're right, new experiences are needed. These days, every game is nothing but a rehash of previously released games. There's really nothing new coming out. It's all been done before and redone multiple times.

My first issue with SteamOS is the fact that they took the "walled garden" approach and the only way to buy games, is through Valve....which is among the things people were raging over with Windows8 (being forced to buy all software through the Windows Marketplace, even though that was never going to be the case). Why is it that it's perfectly fine for Valve to do it with SteamOS?

My second issue is that they're presenting this as being for Gaming and Entertainment. Well, they've gimped it as far as entertainment is concerned. You'll be stuck using only the st.reaming service(s) that Valve wants you to use, unless of course you "hack" the OS yourself and add browser support back to it. Valve has taken a historically open platform (Linux) and turned it into a "walled garden" controlled solely by Valve/Steam. Unless you own a Windows or OSX based PC, your game choices will be very limited....so this can't even act as a console or desktop replacement. I might be more inclined to support the idea....if Valve hadn't gone about things in the manor they have. It would really make more sense to me to download Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Fedora, Mandriva, etc...do a custom install. At least then you're not being controlled by a company who's only real goal is to monetize your entertainment even more than it already has been.

Other than those 2 issues, change and choice is good imho....