Valve's SteamOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scatman839, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Angushades

Angushades Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    I guess people still believe that Microsoft supports PC gaming. They don’t care for it anymore and they haven’t for such a long time. Its only Xbox they care about. Steam OS is such a great idea. I think if we see like 30% or something like that in Sli or Xfire with the OS maybe that will make people use it.

2. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Which is why I think it'll be kinda slow to take off, but as more and more games are brought over, the more users it will get. And at this point, we don't know everything about it yet.

And also, Ubuntu, as much as I hate it, is no harder to use than Windows 7. Its a good starting point for new users. So I don't see why Linux can't gain marketshare.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If they somehow manage to make their games run noticeably faster on it, I think many would end up dual booting.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Definitely think most would as well, though slower and/or worse looking could ruin things.

What worries me, and likely many others is that even if it did run faster, ports and even PC only games would be even buggier and less optimised than they are now.

Can small developers afford to split development?
    Will big devs now bring our two crap ports instead of one good/mediocre port?

There is also a worry from people I've spoken to that if this is successful, will people have to mod a PC game so the UI works on a monitor or to use mouse/kb properly.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The problem is, Linux has no real share of the desktop market. They need to gain market share before game developers will take it seriously. The problem here, is similar to that of BB10 and WP... Users won't migrate to a platform with minimal software availability (in this case, games, as Linux has a very extensive software library in general) and developers don't want to support a platform that has a high risk of financial loss....

I'm not against SteamOS succeeding....in fact, I'd love to see more developers support OpenGL and Linux....

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Originally crossposted in the games forums but oh well ...

----

I am excited about this announcement more for what the potential shakeup than for it to be a full on PC or console OS replacement.

It will force hardware vendors to rethink their investment outside of Windows or proprietary OS. I mean there is one BIG giant example out there right now: ANDROID.

SteamOS could be the Android of x86 architecture. Free OS, some/lots/tons of game support, more people will look it it, hardware vendors starts to optimize for it, in turn more applications, in turn more users, in turn more support, rinse and repeat.

There is NO loss for nearly any consumer except to the initial long term investment by Valve and contributing hardware vendors to optimize their drivers/support software to build a sizeable user base. In fact, this may be a win-win since it dumps a lot of legacy and can allow the hardcore developer to really develop a better OS standard for games -

Native 64 bit support
    Possibly better SMP efficiency than Windows
    OpenGL, OpenAL and OpenCL optimizations to the metal of hardware with no or less or next to none legacy bloat
    Easier portability between hardware such as PC to Mac to Consoles if all running under *nix
    Better or just more frequent updates / patches to the OS just like the beta process of gamers testing patches prior to final/stable builds

It would/could legitimize Linux into the consumers household and take a big share over time.

We have to admit it - Games drive most consumer interest, especially initially and it in turns drive hardware/gadget/software development.

Just this cycle of optimizing for gamers could bring all the other supporting applications over to SteamOS - development software, compilers, art editors, sound editors, animation software, office type applications, and etc...

Look at MacOS also. That is basically *nix with a GUI so it can make *nix main******. There is no reason Valve or anybody else upgrade KDE or some other GUI to Windows 7 level (do not mention Windows 8 gui).

But I will sit on the sidelines while SteamOS 1.0 takes it toll on all the early adopters. This is just coming from trying Steam 1.0 with Half Life 2 at launch. I will be cheering on while gaming in Windows until 2.0. :D

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    SteamOS has no more support for games than Ubuntu or Fedora.... I'm not being cynical at all. I'm being realistic. Aside from having Steam built into it, and having limited support for 3rd party applications "out of the box", it's no different from any other Linux distribution already available.

8. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    You need to give it time man. It has to start somewhere.

9. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I don't really see devs losing money on Linux, if they support Linux AND Windows, since its all digital distribution, whatever money they lose on Linux will be made up in Windows. If devs just keep supporting both platforms, more and more gamers will switch to linux (hopefully). I don't know, I'm probably way off, but you just have to give a new platform a chance. Did Android start off with a software/game library the size of Windows when it first launched? Just support it, and people will use it, of course thats easier said than done in Linux's case.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They can lose money if they support Linux on the same level as Windows and the majority still use Windows, it would be extra money spent for nothing.

Ideally Valve need to take the hit, spend a fortune marketing it and they do the work or give the devs/publishers the money needed for the extra development time.

I do think there has to some rules and or restrictions, some sort of QC going on, with Valve insisting that the Linux version is at least as good as the Windows version in looks and performance.
    Making Windows look better without MS actually doing anything should not be their goal, even no Linux version would be better than one that gets trashed by the DX one.

I know a lot sound negative, but most are just being realistic as without Valve taking huge financial risks this cannot work.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

11. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    Valve - Taking on Microsoft. Down with direct X

[​IMG]

12. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I record with dxtory 1080p with no hit on fps, all it takes is a separate hd to record to.

13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That's because you have one of those new fangled quad cores lol.
    Not sure why they have optimised game capture on Linux when it's Windows the games will be getting st.reamed from.

Is that a legit Valve employee though? Seems unlikely when the language and style of writing appear like a teenager.

14. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    sauce is anon 4chan, willtake it with a grain of salt

15. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ah right, was looking at it on my phone, even a pinch of salt would be too much.

The fantasy of PC gaming with console style optimisations, no matter the hardware or driver used.

The people who spread all this gash end up doing Valve damage, as I'm sure many believe it and when nothing like this happens people get disappointed.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    But why would they? I never said otherwise. Like I said they are a console wannabe and more and more people are buying Laptops and the like to do all their other computing needs.

Many of us here have high end desktops mainly for gaming and also have laptops. Since laptops can take care of most everything else outside of maybe hardcore video editing..etc, I don't see it a big deal to have the desktop be just used only as another console.
    I only use my desktop for other stuff cause it's there, if it wasn't a MacBook air could do everything else I need technically.

However I don't see many games going to Linux anytime soon and our current library of games will likely never get ported nor work in Steam OS so really all of this is null.
    Why would anyone dual boot otherwise? Even for a few frames more isn't worth the hassles if gameplay is already smooth. I also question how good the drivers for SteamOS will really be in comparison to Windows as well as how well they keep posting beta's and updates. I certainly don't see Creative giving a crap anymore so than they currently do with Linux. Last I tried in Linux, their support for EAX and all the other goodies games support was crap, I had basic sound was all and the NV drivers didn't seem up to snuff in comparison to Windows, they ran the native supported game was about it but I didn't notice the beta updates like they have on Windows and I'm not sure if 3dTV play has a Linux version nor how well 3D even runs but I may be wrong.

18. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    so what are they going to do? SteamOS base on ubuntu (free os) and make us pay for that sh!t?

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    SteamOS will be free, as stated in the article....and every other article about SteamOS. Ubuntu isn't the only Linux distro....nor is it the only free one....but devs can't charge for Linux anyway. Only for proprietary or 3rd party non-GPL code.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    "free" has been a debated topic among OS discussions but everyone should know what is meant by usage of the term. I guess the better question is will it be as free as the Linux kernel itself, I would assume not. I'm sure valve will keep their code, otherwise there will be tons and tons of SteamOS distro copies. I can see it now..."PeaOS" Its like damsmall Linux with Steam....or whatever. That's the one confusing issue so many have is the amount of copy cat distros out there, each tailored for very specific users leaving noobs to figure out which is "best".

I wonder if valve plans to make money from hardware sales (steamboxes). Hard to market a free OS in of itself. Commercial viability has always been another stone to step over for most distros.