Valve working on solution to run SteamVR on weak GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    How would it work with doubled 45fps? Technically it would be 90, sure, but wouldn't duplicated 45x2 frames act exactly the same as 45 fps? Not sure I'm getting this...

With 45fps each frame takes 22,2ms display time.
    90fps would end up in 11,1ms then.
    But... displaying 45fps and doubling the frames would only mean that each frame is once again displayed 22.2ms. What's the gain here?

3. Locoyote

Locoyote Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    All they can give is a minimum recommended spec, because there are so many variables, just like running any PC game. I have a GTX660ti which is below the recomendation, but the requirement to run 2160x1200 @ 90Hz is not beyond my card at all.

It would entirely depend on the detail level of the game/3D app. eg. I can run most games at 1080p 60Hz in ultra, but if I wanted 2160x1200 90Hz, I could reduce the detail to medium for example and still have a good gaming experience.

Also, as games get more complex and detailed, even high-end cards will fall below the required 90Hz if full detail is used.

So, I'm pleased that it's going to be possible to use my current set-up to initially try the Vive, at lower detail levels and upgrade to a next gen GPU in due course. I'll propably get a GTX 1070ti OCed or something like that in the £250-300 range, Xmas 2016 or early 2017.

4. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    680 "weak". Maybe compared to say a 980ti but its still a MONSTEROUS gpu, certainly in terms of the kind of garbage inside the consoles of today.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Wouldn't say the GPU's are garbage in the PS4 or the One, the PS4 can push near 2000 GFLOPS while the 680 only does 3000 GFLOPS.

There are also more factors to consider in this, there is more running on a PC compared to a dedicated gaming machine for example. PC has always needed more resources for numerous reasons.

That being said, please do not turn this into a console war.

On topic, I kind of wondered why some of the older high end GPU's weren't included in the VR phase. I kind of thought it was a decision from Nvidia and AMD on that one, aside from memory restraints.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Well, I have a GTX 680 and running the Valve VR test from steam gives me the message that my system is sort of able to run it, if it's on lowest settings. The CPU and memory is listed green, but it says I should upgrade the GPU.

But, without any further information and with possibly the greatest leap in performance in many years coming this Q2/3 I don't have any rush to run out and buy 1st gen VR headsets or last-gen graphicscards.

7. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    The simplest way to fix this issue: wait a year. And that possibly happens before Valve fixes it in some other way.

8. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    I heard they claim VR devices will have lifespan of half on consoles or so. But I don't believe it. They simply need to do everything possible and impossible to get people to jump in early because otherwise there will be no content and if there is no content then the same happens that happened to 3D. Next GDC there will be a lineup of gen2 devices waiting for release with all kinds of issues solved and possibly even wireless (rechargeable) solutions.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Maybe they can double the fps per eye.

Much like the Sony are doing with their VR. They want all games to be minimum 60fps which will be rendered on the hardware inside the PS4. Then the headset or external box has a scaling chip inside it that doubles the frame rate to 120fps. Basically it just displays each frame twice and adds a blur filter to try and smooth things out. Giving the perception of 120fps.

Much like tv's do with their "2000Hz"

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.0+
    VR is only meant for the hysteric populous.

11. huilun02

huilun02 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X Lightning
    They got quite the balls to bring up the 680.
    If you saw the VR test results disparity between 770 and 680...
    When 770 is just a rebadge of the 680
    Its like teabagging the less technically inclined without them knowing
    Gaben loving that Nvidia money from under the table

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Cost is going to be a limiting factor in regards to getting people to jump on VR. Another is the fact that it's a "new tech".... There are a lot of people that won't jump on the first gen of anything. There are also those like me, who fail to see what's so great about "VR". If you can feel the equipment, the immersion is already broken.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Motion vector shortening. Same stuff TVs do for movies.

14. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X
    They're talking about using foveated rendering and other tricks to reduce the load on the gpu.

I believe what is meant is that if your system could only manage 45Hz with the current SteamVR, with this new "cut corner's" method a weaker system could manage 90Hz without a major impact on perceived graphics quality

15. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    So hes talking about my card as well?
    [​IMG]

16. ruiner13

ruiner13 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Wonder if they will have a Thunderbolt 3 model with a built-in GPU. Would tie together some recent announcements...

17. Juakin

Juakin Member

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2GB
    I think they take frame 1 and frame 3 and combine both to make a whole new frame, wich is then presented as frame number 2.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    It would make more sense to reduce GPU load with things like foveated rendering (although I'd prefer not to have it, since you don't always look 100% straight ahead, that's why our eyes can turn without the head). Just interpolating frames is a sloppy thing, requires an additional chip (in the VR gear?) somewhere in the system.

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new GPU instead of paying extra for a (VR piece with such a) chip? That way you could have better VR experience (native 90fps) and also, as a bonus, better performance in non VR games too. Just thinking out loud.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Dont care how well or not GPUs run it. Imo VR needs to be more authentic. No pussy wussy headsets but VR body suits. When you're shot, a tiny embedded explosive cap goes off leaving you with a painful welt. Now thats VR.

20. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah that would be all the rage in the S&M community.