Valve to release Steam Deck gaming handheld with AMD APU in December

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It look like a switch, but Steam is not Nintendo... Also we can already stream PC game on mobile or tablet (without Steam bloatware).
    So i guess it will finish with the Steam machine, Steam OS and VR set in the "good idea but..." closet after a year or so.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Can you install Windows on it?

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Am I the only one that wants a Steam Controller 2 based on the controls of this thing? (I bet I am not, but that I will get a lot of hate here :p )

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

Solfaur likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    There is one positive thing about these handhelds, they keep 16:10 alive :)

Loobyluggs likes this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    in before to be retired after 1 year...

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I don't know about iPhones, never had one, but Android phones have plenty of Google bloatware, and then potentially another great dose from the phone manufacturer. I also wouldn't dream of playing the vast majority of the games in my Steam library with the controls a phone offers (because it offers next to nothing). If you wanted to fix that, you'd need to buy an extra controller for your phone. You'd also 100% depend on an excellent connection every second of your gameplay, and in fact also during the cutscenes. You also better have an unlimited mobile plan of enough speed.

I don't have much faith in the game stream services. This device could be a hit or miss. Since it's a PC, being able to throw Linux or Windows on it could give it some extra help.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It already exist, it is called PS controller or XBox controller (and it is less expensive).

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yep

KissSh0t and DannyD like this.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeah, no. The DS4 is completely different than the Xbox controller. It has touch surfaces and motion controls. The Steam Controller has fully programmable haptics. I play every game with trackpads and I don't even need to lift my hands from them. There is no comparison. The controls on this one reminded me of a perhaps updated version of the Steam controller. I wonder how it presents itself to Steam Input.

12. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Valve copied something what other where doing for years or was too slow launch it quickly. Its simply Aya Neo with more cumbersome controls and less compact dimensions.. Aya should be now $699 device and has full 6 cores.. and 1TB model option, so pricing is ~ same, good luck with unless 399$ 64GB model, is not enough even to keep Win10 after few years of usage.. and will not able to use hibernation(other 16GB of disc space).

Steam Deck is far from ideal, even 512 GB is too small, im using for similar thing GPD Win2 with 512GB is too small. No physical keyboard- PC without physical keyboard always sucks - GPD Win2 has one that form factor is better, GPD Win 3 keyboard sucks and GPD2 is now too small, but there are alternative - see bellow. SteamOS sucks too, Windows support would be probably unofficial, same as Android support for multiboot.

Winner is One Gx1 Pro - has everything and its faster - because new Intel GPUs are actually faster than these AMD ones, only big flaw is price tag - 1500$, but is price for better device, it even have 4g modem option.. Steam Deck is cheaper, but Switch is even cheaper and has game size and HW adjusted games, even when its much slower on HW side..

From my perspective too cheap to be good, Valve should make something better and maybe and MS and Sony sell it with some money loss or make better deals with HW producers than tiny companies doing some things for years.

So main good sing is that mobile PC games will became real thing.. if Valve would be in business and it would force game companies to support slower machines and make wider range of performance related setting in their games..

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    This Steam thing has an RDNA2 iGPU paired with DDR5. You can't compare it to any device you could currently buy, aside from the new gen consoles, to have any sense of the graphics performance. I'd be surprised if Intel Iris Xe with DDR4 is faster.

14. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    We will see, but faster memory with slower timings could be only slightly faster.. Is somewhere exact mem speed, because DDR4 4200 is quite fast and only because its named DDR5, doesn't necessary means that it would be faster.

15. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Hmm and that size - 298 x 117 x 49mm, good luck to find some pocket for it, 5 cm thich.. you would need some notebook backpack for it.. so whole handheld usage is problematic.. Remember PS Vita and its size? I know smaller size device can have sucks nice specs, but original GPD Win2 - was reasonable - 162x99x25mm nice pocket thing, is Valve thing is other home tablet with controller.. Even switch had at least clever removable joycons to shrink device sice for transportation..
    This looks same waste of space as Atari Lynx.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The speed is 5500, but who knows about the timings. Somebody would need to install Windows on it and run CPU-Z to check them out, haha. However, both the AMD CPU and iGPU would greatly benefit from the speed.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The closest resolution to the golden ratio...it must not be destroyed.

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The whole point of this thing is that you can use your steam library without any extra issue. Most of the games support steam controller anyway if they do it surely isn't a problem to remap them to this handheld. Its basically just a travel version of your PC, I would be more interested to see how long it actually lasts on batteries.

Also, I don't think PS vita really failed due to size, If I remember correctly it failed because there were very few games to play on it and you couldn't play games from PSP.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    16:9 is for TVs, shoo! :p

20. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    When you watch the video, Gabe comes across as all nonchalant about the product.
    But then I guess thats just him.
    Its getting pretty dynamic out there. Everyone's getting ready to chump everyone else's train.
    I guess we could end up with Winstroid 64bit OS echo system. ;)