1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve To Overhaul for Steam GUI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    [​IMG]

@Ricepudding i know it's painful, but you can just "ignore" all of those games manually (which is what I've done), took me little over an hour (more than 100 pages), just click on the "anime" tag and then block everything. However I wish the process had been much simpler (not that I want to censor, or tell people what they can't buy), but I'm definitely not their targets audience; hence why I blocked it all.

I know you can activate some kind of "warning" message on the community pages and block mature content, violence and blood with a few clicks in your settings (which would effectively turn your Steam client into EGS and Chinese territory of censorship), but I think that's taking it too far and I'm not easily offended; just easily triggered by low-effort anime jigsaw puzzles.

[​IMG]

Apparently I had overlooked my settings and forgot about the "exclude" tag feature...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Ricepudding and emperorsfist like this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, I'd like to remove all gaming news or at least tweak it. I had stopped going to those sites over a decade ago but have disdain for them since 2014. I wouldn't mind blocking thrash like rps, polygon, and waypoint.

Yep their recommendations are determined by what you own, wishlisted and their own ai. You can also remove VR, early access, and tags (like walking simulator and novels) and the not interested button.

emperorsfist likes this.
  3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    I just hope they won't do away with the classic "Small Mode" option.

lucidus likes this.
  4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    So, all that @Ricepudding wants is already there XD

Ricepudding and RzrTrek like this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    You can already do that even if it's not very well made nor it is pretty. You can set categories and assign them to your games and the games will be grouped by category. My categories are finished, abandoned, backlog, next to play and currently playing.

My main problem with it is it's not possible to assign a category to many games at once. You also can't assign a category without going to the game property (dialog window). Would be cool to be able to assign a category to a game by a right click. Finally while the categories are stored in the cloud like other game options Steam has a tendency to **** them up if you are using Steam on more than one PC (laptop and desktop for example) so it's better to make a local backup of the category files on an external hdd. Finally i would like to be able to have categories and also sub categories in those categories.

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Last time i checked i could not find how to ignore a publisher or developer though. A while ago i wanted to ignore Atifex Mundi but could not find the option. Maybe it's there but i did not find it.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I think there are more important issues with Steam that the GUI look but okay...

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    I'll just get a skin that removes all of this. All I need is a launch game button.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Wasn't that the problem when they overhauled the chat client previously? The new code they are using isn't skinnable.

10. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Nope it only changes the layout

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Bloatware for me is added software :) I'm not sure that it's the case here.
    Looks more like they've put everything on one page, something I like a lot.
    Though I wish it was possible to customize your "view" and add/remove modules.

lucidus likes this.
  12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I welcome it. I occasionally use Steam on my Surface and never liked how it wasn't touch-friendly (even basic things like finger scrolling wouldn't work). They've since incorporated more touch functionality, but the library was clearly designed with pointers in mind.

Denial likes this.
  13. SteelPillow

SteelPillow Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX760 SC
    I would also appreciate a "lite" mode. Something like existing "small mode" but without all of the web interface loaded. Just client signed in with a list of games and basic game update interface. And a button to reload Steam into a full interface :)

INSTG8R, Cave Waverider and lucidus like this.
  14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Didn't big picture mode sort this?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if it anit broke dont mess with it

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yep - as someone with a MS Surface I welcome all the touch-centric interfaces. When done right they can function and look well on both Touch & K/M.

yasamoka likes this.
  17. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760 SC
    Don't worry, you'll have probably a couple years to prepare. lol

WhiteLightning likes this.
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Those who use "Inventory" a lot could definitely benefit from a faster application.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Yup i agree when it comes to performance the Inventory is really not great. The rest of the application is fine though imo and i rarely use the Inventory but yeah it's slow as hell.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    don't get me wrong I Think there can backhand improvements to better the perforce of the GUI but changing it is nothing something needed., Every time I seen GUI change it never been for better it usual makes thing more coimplacted and I mean this in general for GUI changes