Valve to Discontinue Support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 on Steam Starting 2024

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 likes this.
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Damn, I wonder can I install a VM under Windows 7 or Linux then?

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Whats funny, I still install steam on my xp/7 machine.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and it begins, I know people wont be happy, despites games they have on those systems are as old if not older then win 7.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    don't worry too much, anyone on windows 7 that wants to use steam still will absolutely find a way, Windows 7 extended is now under development, and the missing kernel exports will be implemented some way or another lmao.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Probably not, because Steam doesn't have an offline installer. It will always fetch the latest files during installation.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    This whole TPM 2.0 disaster prevents so many systems from being upgraded.

I know you can use Rufus to bypass it, but good luck to the average joe.

Without TPM i bet 95% of all users could upgrade just fine to Windows 11.

Greggy_D, pharma and Maddness like this.
  8. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Many of those old games still work because they use optimized steam libraries one way or another. So in order to keep that up they drop support for legacy system altogether.
    It's just their way of relieving themselves of any responsibility in case non TPM machine gets hacked. You absolutely can install and use bypassed Windows 11, just fine and get all the updates, you just don't get the functions of TPM. If they really didn't want to, or it wouldn't be possible, this option would not exist. It's just their way of saying you can use it without any guarantees.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    TPM is stupid, it locks my Retail Key to the BIOS, i suddenly have a OEM version basically.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Hertzian56

Hertzian56 Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2060 6gb
    Only reason I moved on to 10 was a new system, probably the way to 11 or 12. Went from 7 to 10 directly. The whole security non issue is just like the mafia who is in the "protection" racket, yeah protection from THEM lol If you stick to trusted sites and have common sense as to emails and such you'll be fine, proven for years. Software makers and hardware makers are in the same overall business and it benefits them to force upgrades, a better shovel or wheel type of thing.

11. deathnite

deathnite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 12GB
    This is offtopic, they are not ending support for Windows 10. TPM is not required for Windows 10.
    PCs running Windows 7 can upgrade to Windows 10.
    Your comment will be appropriate when Valve will announce to discontinue support for Windows 10.

12. The average joe has an OEM computer that very likely supports firmware updating via Windows Update, and all the worthwhile OEMs have already delivered a BIOS update to switch the firmware TPM on by-default or force it on if a dTPM doesn't exist. 95% of average joes are likely fine.

It's that 5% of people running pre-Ryzen or disabling firmware updates that have to do a little bit of work, but these aren't average joes.

As mentioned above though, this doesn't affect 10. And contrary to popular belief, Microsoft is smart enough to not be force-delivering 11 to incompatible machines automatically.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    But you CAN install Windows 11 without any TPM (and btw it is faster), with a linux distro as main OS or even on unadapted computer (as on mac mini 2011 as an exemple)...
    You can do a "custom iso", or direct edit W11 just after the "your computer suck and can't use W11" message and press OK then, both work fine
    You can remove other boring things as the secure boot, the telemetry, the predominance of M$ driver over original maker's driver (good for GPU :) ), remove of the left warning from using a too old CPU... and lot more.
    Many tuto on the net, even some from M$ itself lol

HandR likes this.
  14. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    Another example of why I have been switching to GOG.

At this point, I am getting better backwards compatiblity for 15-20 year old games from consoles.

Greggy_D, rl66, Valken and 3 others like this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    correct me i am wrong but TPM is just part of problem. I can enable TPM on my z170 and 6700k but STILL not "ready" for windows 11 cause the cpu is not "ready" if i can "offical" install windows 11 I not gona atlest not on my currecnt system, Not that I relish the idea of installing it when i I do new builds. They startmenu and startbar changes among the reasons the ui change and starmenu change as as bad as windows 8 imo

Maddness likes this.

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    If you can run W10 you can run W11 as well. TPM is just a security function which most of you disable anyways. New computers have it built in. So why bother?

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not "offically" and with out "modify" the installer. If people are unwilling to use "start is back" etc to modify windows startmenu they probably not gona be bother to "modify" installer, which most of the general user base will not do. Tech savy people and people that lurk these forums or any other such forums are anything but , majority of people using PC's the people with know how and willing ness to do all these are minority of user base.

Maddness likes this.
  18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Star Trek online recently dunped the ancient W7 OS, and the 8 people that were still using it were quite vocal that they would rather never play the game again then move to W10/11 and continue playing the game, so i guess cutting ones nose off to spite oneself is still a thing. Lol

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/

Thank me later :p

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    IIRC, some games now require TPM for online multiplayer.