Valve tells Hollywood "Hands off my Half-Life"

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Aug 28, 2010.

1. GunJammed

GunJammed New Member

GPU:
    2xSapphire 5870 1gig CF
    Valve could bring Hollywood to it's knee's...

I thought about this a short while and I hope you can agree with me.

The movie should not contain Gordon, or moreso, you just see his effects.

In the game, Gordon quickly became legend. This was boosted by the fact he did not talk, and you played him. He was the instigator, the main player, the tool and the hero.

The movie would be all about him, but I feel it would work if he were barely featured as a character. But everything he did, everyone who manipulated him, the sides that gained from his actions, the sides that later gained from his reactions, the resistance who discussed him as legend, and those who knew him as friend. That should be the movie.

And don't forget the tragic love interest. Alyx's story could play a very key role. She fell in love with him from her father's stories of him, even got to fight along side him, yet he never says a word to her. That's pretty harsh, really.
    But she always had Dog from a very young age, a pet who would not die on her and who she gradually upgraded and relied upon for her safety.

I think I would really enjoy it if the movie would focus around her and Dog for the bulk of it. And reveal all the pieces of the puzzle that surrounds the story we already know from the games. The black mesa incident, the invasion, the combine and the oppression of the vortigaunts, how the G-man and Gordon's actions twist in with the plot, possibly ending with the re-deployment of Gordon in the train that is HL2 beginning.

I think this would be great as it wouldn't be typical hollywood dumbed-down plot with sexy attractive goofball main star. Although Alyx would no doubt grow to be a real stunner as she is in HL2.
    I could not imagine her character if it is not deeply complex and emotional due to the holocaust-type events occurring throughout her life.

The loneliness, the loss of her mother, her Dad and all he does, her familiar- Dog (another character as well as a symbol of Alyx's own growth, as she upgrades him as her skills progress), her role in the resistance as she matures. Whatever events happened that gave her the PTSD you see in-game when she is confronted by the human-slave cyclops capsules, did she perhaps once recognise a friend but after they had been enslaved, disfigured and possessed? How traumatic! But what an awesome movie that would make.

Really it's all there already, written into the game's existing storylines.

But the storyline of the game's is already box-office quality. So I don't see how Valve could not themselves create an amazing movie. In fact I don't see how they could not blow Hollywood away in the same manner that the halflife series has shaped the games industry.

Go Valve!! I think Valve making a HL movie will eventually become certainty for sure. It's just too good not to be!

Heck after writing this I kinda want to play a KOTOR type RPG where you play as alyx and dog, with her technical skills and dog's upgrades as the player progessions. Screw the movie, I want to play it all as another game!! DOH! :bang:

edit- changed Alyx from Alex

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Hey the Doom movie was ok :p

Did no one watch this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1UPMEmCqZo

Valve was extremely impressed by it and they gave it a massive thumbs up. The film could turn out to be like this...

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Gunjammed, you just put the exact opposite of what a Half-Life movie should be about. =/

4. GunJammed

GunJammed New Member

GPU:
    2xSapphire 5870 1gig CF
    Lol, oh well. Perhaps I'm going too indi-movie, or incorporating too much HL2 into the mix.

But I still stand behind what I meant by Valve having a better team of writers than anything Hollywood could offer. They made a very good decision with that one.

Edit- The sound of a dieing strider would absolutely rock in cinema dolby digital!

5. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I wanna see ant-lions on an Imax screen, dammit! :banana:

6. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    The example of Doom, or Silence Hill if you ask me, is a drop in the ocean.

exceptions that its only success is show a side story, a spin off, just what are you said here.

Most of the honest projects trying make a good movie ended even worse, becouse the movie never can be better than the game, as much they can do a spin off, or a side history and trying not destroy the franchise.

But even in the best of the cases is the developer studio, the game franchise, that take gains the true benefice and the publicity.

So that is why Hollywood don´t care the games at all, its just a rival business model, but that they can invoke to do games based in theirs movies.

All that Hollywood cares of games is just take a name to invest just the money to put some guns, explosions, and girls to make a good trailer, and that is it, easy money.

Aka Resident Evil for example.

And its all as much Hollywood can do, cos in first place the movie is based in a game and in second place a game is a narrative form superior than any movie.

Gordon did not gained sides with his actions or make the resistance ...

We did all this, becouse all we are Gordon Freeman.

And we are legion.

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    The resistance did not start because of Gordon, either, he had minimal involvement until the G-Man place him back, and then he became a symbol.

Gordon has to be in it, or it's not mah Half-Life.

8. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Christopher Walken as G-Man or GTFO.

9. mandex

mandex Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Valve did the right thing!

They could try a new model: FPS MUTE FILM

now that's fantastic.

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    I quite like it the way gunjammed presented a story. as far as actors go: I was reminded of this image i found a way back:
    [​IMG]

11. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I don't think we'll see Dennis Hopper as Dr. Wallace Breen.......

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    I don't think we will ever see half life movie.

But these actors seem to fit in pretty well.

13. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi
    seeing as half-life is very much influenced by the Mist by Stephen King, im
    guessing that Hollywood could easily make a "Mist 2" where we see what
    happened in the Arrowhead base.. and that story would most likely be very
    much like Half-Life, im guessig.

awesome movie, never read the book.

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol cast

[​IMG]

But the real game Casts are

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    idd, when i watched Mist i tought someone riped off Half life .

It was other way around maybe but it gave me that impression

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Dunno, to me it's like books and movies, the book is almost 99% of the time better than the movie. Even the best movie based on a game would probably not be as good as the game as you remember it.

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i would love to see a video game company take a crack at making a movie, see if they could do better than hollywood, i think it would be an interesting experiment.

i mean whats a mid range movie cost now days? 80 to 100 mil? game budgets are not that far off of a movie budget.

we saw what happens when we let a comic book guy try and make a comic movie with the spirit. and he was considered a near genious for what he did in comics but managed to make a horrible movie, for all his complaining about hollywood.

i would like to see more projects like that tho, with the creators making the movies and see if they could pull off something great. or if we just get an overinflated sense of art and self with these projects and they turn out sheer disasters.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I don´t know why Valve is so afraid of Hollywod ****ing up Half Life´s story if they already did just that with HL2, that was as big of a cliche as any action movie and totally unrelated to what happen in the first HL...

But i understand, Valve probably wants the lion share of profits and still want to write the fiml themselfes, just to be sure...

By the way, Gordon should be interpreted by edward norton.

19. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Unrelated? I suggest you read this

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

The story was much better in HL2, better characters, better acting and much more things going on in the plot.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    You know what´s funny, most of this ins´t explaneid in the game, specially in the original HL. In HL1 there´s no info about the combine or about Gman´s role! Among other notorious exclusions that simply pop out on HL2...

The way i see it, when Valve made the original HL, they simply didn´t know what story to write because they were computer geeks not scriptwritters, so they build a story about an accident on Black Mesa, that was open to interpretation because very few thing were actually explained about the accident himself and the aliens and so on.

When they made HL2, they probably felt that they were a big enough games company that should have dedicated writters for they number one game and those writters just went the easy science fiction route: earth is invaded and enslaved by aliens who no one know anything about in the first game!!! Valve simply pulled the combine and Gman´s "abilities" out of their ass!!!

I only got to know the "story" you linked after i searched for it on wikipedia...

And lets face the silent hero worked great on the Original HL but on the sequels it´s just plain stupid!!!