Valve-No-existing-plan-for-Source-Engine-2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, May 20, 2011.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Comparable to CryEngine 1.

2. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Quoted for truth.

WHile that screenshot may look nice its very much so limited by Source (no dynamic lighting and shadowing, low texture rez, Sky box).

Source was amazing, in like 2004-2007. Since then it has really shown its age excluding artistically rendered games. Realism is not the engine's main goal anymore.

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Albeit that is a target render. CryEngine 1 would nearly get to that quality in real time.

4. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I know it doesnt look perfect, but hell, thats one of the best scenes i've seen from that piss-old engine... come on people, be reasonable.

I'd love if Valve would ditch Source and build a new engine from ground up, instead of adding stuff to it.
    But as you see, it works. It may not be the best looking engine to date, hell no, but its very versatile, scalable and rock-stable.

5. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Similar to the CoD series, the engine works, its costs very little to update (though looking dated now) so is a financially safe way of creating games.

A new engine takes years to develop, costs 100's of millions, and will come with its own set of numerous bugs etc that will need to be fixed.

Of course, a new engine isn't all about the looks, its about efficiency in code, performance, ease of use for developing new titles, licensing income etc

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Same here was playing with 32xQ aa and 8x ssaa and it was not thatt great tbh. Looks like an old engine..it just and I say just gets the job done for me tbh.

7. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    I for one, like the source engine. It might not produce the greatest graphics or support DX11 or whatever. But I don't care about all that because every game that runs on it just looks pleasing to the eye for me, can't really explain it.

VALVe know how to work with the source engine, and create good looking environments. When you look at the overall quality of scenes/environments in games, source beats a lot of others. The again, in most games today you can't even see the environments because developers have an obsession with bloom. (I'm looking at you BC2)

Also this:

[​IMG]

More here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/dear-esther/news/a-quick-update9

8. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Ah yes, Dear Esther.
    Robert is really turning this into a stunner, cant wait!

Also, some progress in his Devblog.

9. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Much better examples. Disregard the link in my post.

Also, I've never seen those first page images before. That is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This...i couldnt careless about engines as long as the gameplay is good.