Valve Launches First Generation Steam Machines

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Dota 2, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced...

Valve Launches First Generation Steam Machines

2. toniglandyl

toniglandyl Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    it's materiel.net not material.net ;) it's a French site.

EDIT : seems like info on the boxes are available here : http: //media.steampowered.com/store/steammachines/SteamMachinesBroc_WEB.PDF
    (remove the space)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    Sorry, please delete!

4. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I'm not clear on how this will work, I assume as it is using the existing steam library that it will continue to use windows games, therefore how can this run without an emulator? seems pointless buying what is essentially a linux games console with a built in emulator to run windows games.
    But I imagine I am missing something here, so how is this meant to work?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found that the games will be developed to run natively. I did wonder that initially but sounded like such a large exercise for what is a niche product, but if Steam want to waste their time and money doing it, more power to them, I just hope that doesn't affect the price of windows game titles when they need to move money round the balance sheet.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Either some makers are also putting Windows on those machines as a dual boot config or they got their numbers wrong. I don't think Linux has that many games unless they are including the potentials from the use of WINE?

6. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Most of these games are supposed to be streamed from a Windows machine to the Steam box.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    lol @ starting at $499

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    The one from Alienware looks like what you would expect a Steam Machine to look like, a console.

But it's 3 times overpriced, which is to be expected with Failianware.

2450 Dollars for a system with a 4770K and 780 Ti.

[​IMG]

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    With mantle hopefully delivering large performance gains soon it kind of renders the whole having to use linux thing to get around antique directx obselete anyway.

10. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Personally, I hope this is the starting point of Windows seizing to be the one and only game platform, and Linux eventually replaces it. The only reason we "need" windows is becuase we have no other choice becuase it has all the games, and other software. So far Linux has 450 games on Steam, very respectable for a platform that has such a small marketshare.

11. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    That is if Mantle becomes as widely adopted as DirectX. I think OpenGL, and Mantle should be the main API's, both being cross-platform. And if Linux gets Mantle, that would be a good thing too. No more having to pay outragous fee's for OS's.