Valheim - Viking survival/exploration game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Repo Man, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this has a lot of work ahead of it yet, teraforming and playing with others quickly turns performance pear shaped.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Travel by boat is much faster (about running speed) when you start using the Karve rather than the raft. (It's available once you make some brass nails) It also has some storage.

Portals are great. I've been using portals for my mining (fixing axe) and easy re-travel to/from scary lands. I set up a portal to my Lox blind, I made one just on the edge of The Plains using a small, circle moat. Good for farming lox meat.

I really like how the big beasts and monsters in this game are properly scary. Trolls, the Lox and whatever that blue flying death thing in the swamp is. When they chase you, the heart races.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
  4. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    man.. didn't have the opportunity to buy it yet. my friends are having a blast, i hope this weekend il check it out.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Just completed the second boss with a couple friends, I would say it was brutal but we cheesed it by doing a certain tactic.

So we're all now ready to explore the next area and start upgrading our great.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    "Helloworld" is a great seed if you want all the final bosses within arm's reach of start point. 4 on first island, 1 on neighbor. Plus a massive swath of crypts (iron) in the swamp to West of start.

500 or so iron later, one cartload... (that was fun to carry up the mountain to home) I'm getting ready to fight Bonemass, but I haven't figured out what to dump in his offering pool. (I had to google the Elder)

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
  8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    people making some crazy stuff.

heads up i just found out, trying to tame some higher tier wolves, seems the devs made them spawn only at night, and only eat and etc at night to boot, and if you muck with them at all during the day it seem to despawn them.

so daytime your wasting your time looking and if you do find them they can poof into thin air lost 2 and several hours of mucking around.

needs to mod that night only flags out of the leveled wolves please for the sanity of players.

9. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Master Guru

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    i'm having a real blast with this game too, have a small ragtag bunch of scatterred friends who play with me on weekends. I sleep while dreaming of building massive epic castles with all the thropes of a real conquerer , fish large serpents and own a lot of Flametal Weapons and then wake up and realize we're still way way far from even a barely appreciable base XD. Such is the life for now :).

cucaulay malkin and Repo Man like this.
  10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Yeah I'm still playing actively, just finished building a little village style base for myself and the missus and we're now starting to venture into the plains biome. We're just taking our time to explore and see the sights, not rushing to kill all the bosses or anything.

I really hope they manage to optimize the performance a bit though.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    waiting on the build xpac my tower in limbo arm built too high need iron beams fingers crossed update or mod ;p.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    After dumping ~150 hours in, I'm waiting on a major biome update and out of fear that any game world I start now will quite possibly get rendered obsolete by said update. I think it's within weeks.

13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I don't think we'll see much being updated yet when it comes to the biomes aside for maybe some tweaks to the existing ones but I do think they're working on a slightly bigger update. it's been almost 3 weeks since any updates and the last one was just a few small tweaks, up until then we were seeing updates once or twice per week.

Personally hoping for QoL improvements like maybe the ability to deconstruct some things without the workbench, ability to deconstruct old gear, possibly a few new build pieces, performance tuning and the one thing I'd really like to see is a "paper doll" window where you equip gear so that gear we wear doesn't take inventory space.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Can this be played using a controller?

15. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Master Guru

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    I just used and found out it does support controller, but my not all of my directInput controller's keys are getting mapped. It has support though.

Edit: i realized i didn't answer your question if this game can be played with the controller, to which I am not worthy of answering. Because I get mad at how clunky the block placement and hit detection is implemented when playing with keyboard and mouse combo ( walking up mis-aligned stairs, stairs ending on a Beam ). I wont be able to stand building anything with a controller. The game is solely enjoyable because of its atmosphere, but it will feel very clunky with controller I think. Also, I dont play using the controller, so take my opinion with a truck load of salt.

KissSh0t likes this.

16. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    "Partial controller support", it says on the Steam page. Combine that with kegastaMmer's accurate tale - this one's not meant for gamepads, I agree.

17. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
  18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Got some friends that are really into this.

I... can't seem to make up my mind on it. I like and, at the same time, dislike the visuals.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Considering the price of the game I would say its definitely worth a punt. I was initially a bit funny about the visuals too but now I don't even notice the ugly side of them thanks to the brilliant use of modern lighting and colours. Having said that, I wouldn't object if there was an option to bump the texture resolution to something like Oblivion levels at least.

20. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Master Guru

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    Visual qualms will be overlooked as soon as you start thinking of a base structure and how to craft something up. It just dawns like that. I can't tell you what you're missing out on exactly, but the first night of minecraft is very reminiscent of a week spent in Valheim. To anyone who are put off by the visuals from demo or stream videos, that feeling of immense possibility of crafting and building cannot be experienced unless you are actively playing it yourself.