VA pannels for gaming

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by erouz, Oct 20, 2018.

1. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    Guys Im using now LG 24gm79g im not so happy with it im thinking to change for VA pannel 27inch
    How VA pannels are fir gaming like PUBG.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The LG 32GK850G seems to have rather well reviewed. It's 31.5" 1440p 165Hz G-Sync.

pcmonitors.info has reviewed it:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/lg-32gk850g

He also has a video review, which discusses the pros and cons of this VA panel vs TN panels:

3. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have TN Monitor and VA UHDTV, In terms of Response times they both suck imo but are about the same in responce times though Black are way deeper then on TN and IPS.

IPS have amazing pictures but they response time worse then the VA and TN and as such means little to me, the blacks tend to be somewhere between TN and VA they also seem to suffer the most from black uniformity

It come down to perferance and what you will to trade

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The gaming IPS panels (called "IPS-type" panels, their actual name is AHVA since AU Optronics doesn't have a license for IPS as its owned by LG) have better pixel response than VA, not worse.

Also, another main benefit of VA and IPS gaming panels is less pixel inversion artifacts. You will very often see "g-sync flickering" complaints on TN monitors. This happens due to increased pixel inversion artifacts at low refresh rates (30FPS g-sync). Can happen during loading screens or when the game is hitching/stuttering. Another pixel inversion artifact is the appearance of faint lines on the screen, and some people refer to them as "scanlines" (they're not scanlines, of course.) VA and IPS are less prone to this.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Duke Nil likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Most IPS panels I seen are worse then VA imo, maybe I have not seen a High quality IPS panel, but there black are GREY compared to VA and the uniformity to the black tend to be worse too. those 2 big issue to me and imo TN response time is utter crap too, so both VA and IPS worse imo.

I still waiting for OLED to become an affordable tech, SO i can once again have CRT black and response times.

Dont get me wrong IPS panels look amazing like the one on my iPhone everything look amazing and fact view angle dont change much the colors is great too, but its black are NOT black its Black uniformity is actual great seeing Apple is stick policy on that compared to most IPS monitors manufactures.

But the blur from response times is just eye sore to me just like tearing is, which why vsync is always on for my pc, and I get upset when consoles games dont use vsync.

The can make Panel that is so life like in Colors view angle and and all that that you cant tell it panel vs looking threw window or realife, but it it responce time is NOT that of CRT or better it means nothing to me.

Even after all this years using LCD/LED tech the Blur from there response times is unacceptable to me., it just unavoidable cause they stop using CRT tech and such monitors and tv are really no longer made if the tech was still use they would be much much lighter and small then counter parts 20+ years ago

tunejunky likes this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I'm referring to the gaming IPS panels (the 165Hz ones with g-sync.)

That's normal. Gaming VA panels have about 3000:1 contrast ratio. The IPS panels are about 1100:1. TN panels average about 900:1 with the best ones reaching 1000:1.

The blur isn't from response times. It's because LCD panels in general are sample and hold. At 60Hz, you get 16.7ms blur. At 120Hz, you get 8.3ms blur. And at 144Hz, it's 6.9. Has nothing to do with pixel response. With LCD displays, the higher the refresh rate, the less blur you get. In comparison, a CRT at 60Hz has only a fraction of a millisecond of blur (in other words, a CRT has the same amount of blur as an LCD would have if it ran at something like 5000Hz and you were getting 5000FPS.)

You can use motion blur reduction to do the same on an LCD by strobing the panel's backlight, but then you get crosstalk due to pixel response (TN has less crosstalk than IPS, which has less than VA.) Using MBR though means disabling g-sync. They can't work together.

OLED has the same issue, btw. It does NOT fix blur, unless you also use MBR there. Fortunately, OLED can not have crosstalk, since the pixels themselves are doing the MBR and there's no backlight.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am aware of the sample hold effect, and that is not what I seeing, 2ms response it not good enough, not even 1ms is good going from 1 to 2ms I see diffrence, my Monitor is 2ms and this blur first thing I noticed when I first switched to LCD/LED due to space and it annoying to me and still does my last HDTV had 5ms response and I saw huge difference between my 2ms monitor and 5ms HDTV, and my Current UHDTV has 6ms to 15ms depending on the transition, but for most part is blur is about same as my old HDTV but not as good as my Monitors 2ms, which still isnt good imo and mind you they all running 60hz

sample hold effect a separate effect from the response times of panel which sample and hold just make things worse , response time of LCD/LED NO mater the panel dont even come close to response time of CRT which is in the nano seconds my last CRT which was 1600x1400 @ 60hz was clear of blur in motion compared to ANY LCD/LED panel I ever had, to get the PQ I would get my CRT in terms of Motion I would need LCD/LED runing at 120hz or higher to get close to same PQ in motion even then it is NOT the same clear motion.

I seen them I used them while they do fix this issue to point, one has to have GPU that pump those framerates, which more then I willing to pay for GPU.

Panel Response times and sample and Hold effect are TWO different things, and combined they make things worse.

oLED fixes the Response time ISSUE, and as for the sample hold effect that depends on how manufacture tackled that issue, some oLED are like CRT in this respect others are not all oLED fixed the Black not being Black and Black uniformity issue LCD/LED suffer from

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I went from a BenQ TN 1440p with a 1ms (XL2730Z), to a BenQ VA 3440x1440p UW with a 4ms (EX3501R), and can't see any difference with the higher ms, just a better PQ on the VA panel, as better colour reproduction etc...

10. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    tks guys I went with LG 27gk750f and is much better compared to LG 24gm79g in colors but even with 240hz stil its just good not like CRT.
    Appreciate information I got from you guys I was just afraid that if VA is even slower than TN it will be nightmare for me.

Rich_Guy likes this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know it the fastest and to me the "fastest" is sadly not good enough imo, which why IPS even VA no good either. better colors stuffand dont mean much if response time arent good enough things smear in motion. Hold and Sample issue just makes that issue worse. and no 120hz and 240hz don't fix the problem of there response times it just hides it if you can FEED such framerates in first place.

this why I still waiting on oLED, it at lest fixes the response times issue while give us back CRT blacks with perfert uniformity.

Dont get me wrong I do use LED/LCD cause I dont have room for CRT anymore let lone fact they dont make them anymore. But since first day I switched to LCD/LED the response times and effect on stuff in motion is highly apparent to me compared to CRT.

oLED was annouced over decade ago, and it STILL hasnt replaced LCD/LED, Fixed Resolution Panels and it scaling all other resolutions need to go to imo. no mater how good the scaler is, playing nes and other such consoles with super low resolutions look horrid on the LCD no mater the size of the panel. which why I refuse to play any of those games on my TV anymore

erouz likes this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Well, for what it's worth, I'm on IPS and there's no smearing in motion.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. Can find high quality IPS panels out there with good boards wired to em for decent response times / kind of a cross between good quality panel / quality PCBs behind em... imo if you consider 2ms "slow" lol well that speaks for itself... hell even 4ms is fast enough for the pro gaming space. Just glanced at Google for 5 minutes to showcase that IPS doesn't suck versus VA - quite the contrary ...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2018
  14. SKIBA

SKIBA Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 / 6 GB
    HTML:
    https://www.komputronik.pl/product/438860/philips-273v7qjab-00.html
    I have always used monitors from Philips and I'm fully satisfied. I had to buy a new monitor (link), because unfortunately, but I have already spent about 8 years.

15. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    Last few months I update my PC and unfortunately budget was a factor as well. So for me safest bet was with this LG. He in Ireland I cant go to shop take monitor for test and give back. I will love to be able take home VA IPS panels and test them to find best.

16. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    No LG 24gm79g was good just a little to small. I make mistake about 8 moths ago go from 27inch 60hz to 24 144hz monitor only didynt like size and usual not being CRT haha

17. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    I currently game on a PHL BDM3270.

Aside from wishing the refresh rate was higher, the panel is gorgeous. The colours and sharpness are phenomenal and completely changed how i was immersed in my games.

Noisiv likes this.
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's a really interesting product. Mostly because of ungodly contrast (even better than most VA), and screen uniformity which again is better than most VA.
    Also Picture in Picture.

19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.1
    I'm biased towards TN-panels, because I want the lowest possible response time and don't want any ghosting.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Modern TN panels have also improved in quality. I have a Samsung UE510 4K, and when I set the backlighting to group view, I don't have that terrible TN color distortion when I move my head, and the color saturation and black levels are comparable to IPS.