VA panels ?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by jinxjx, Dec 24, 2019.

1. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
    Hello, are va panels as bad as some people say ? Im looking at the LG 32GK650F-B 32" and or the AOC Gaming CQ32G1 31.5". Of course been looking at 27" also...lol. Will be using it for racing and flight sims and golf game. I read where some monitors are using the samsung va panels. Does anyone have these va panel monitors ?.....thank you

https://www.microcenter.com/product...hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-curved-led-gaming-monitor

https://www.microcenter.com/product...qhd-144hz-dp-hdmi-freesync-led-gaming-monitor

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  2. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    I think you need to see it in person first. I bought an MSi optix VA panel a while back,but i wasnt satisfied at all. I believe the MSI Optix uses Samsung panels which has some issue with large gaps between pixels,correct me if im wrong.It was my first VA panel,coming from an TN panel. So i dont know if that was the issue or the monitor itself. See my thread above for more about it. But really you can end up buying it and sending back 5 different monitors. If you can i would def recommend to see it in person first before buying.

3. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    recently bought a new monitor and researched, what i dont know is how racing games are considered compared to fast fps shooters, if anywhere near the level that is usually being discussed i would stay away from va panels, too many issues for gaming still

best reviews are pcmonitors.info, just find the most recent va panel review and then look at the end especially the recommendations, so you have a quick overview on the market situation

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Just don't get 1080p resolution @ 27", because it will have very big pixels per dot. I saw that myself and downgraded same monitor back to 24", I have Samsung c24fg73.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm I have VA panel TCL s517 4K UHDTV and I think it better then my old samsung LN32550A tv I had I not really sure what panel that used but it response time certianly better on the TCL s517 that use VA black are tad better then the old tv and the wierd effect I had in pc games like skyrim when I moved the camera around is gone too. Then again that LN32550A is like 15 years old tv panel tech

6. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    '
    The VA panel i had for a while did had deeper blacks and colours compared to TN so depending on the monitor you buy,you can definetely have better screen quality on VA as a TN panel and i believe IPS panels are a mix of both but not better at doing either of the two,i think atm getting a proper monitor to your exact likings,with an amazing screen quality and no ghosting blurring is gonna be an expensive one,otherwise you have to make a decision between the two. Or wait for everything to switch to Oled which will happen in some years.

But i think motion blur/ghosting wise TN is the better choise and as gamers thats something that should be priority over having better contrast ratios,it's easier on the eyes aswell.
    And like TJ said,do not get 27inch on 1080p,text especially does not look great at that size and resolution. I got a serious amount of eyestrain from having bad motion blur/ghosting when using 27inch on 1080p and went back to 25inch which is about the max size for 1080p.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  7. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
    Ok thanks guys, I ask because Im getting ready for a new build and i think im just going to go with the Dell S2719DGF 27" 1440 tn panel. Coming from a asus vg248qe 1080 144hz tn panel. Im going to be running a ryzen 3600 and amd 5700xt or nvidia 2070 super........thank you guys

8. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    VA panels are brighter with better blacks, IPS panels have better colors and clarity. Well, IPS is overall better than VA and VA better than TN.

Undying likes this.
  9. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    heh thats what i did buy ;)
    tn panels came a long way since i had my last one many years ago, the only issue still present basically is the vertical shift, but you can adjust obviously the height and tilt, for someone that changes positions much on his seat maybe its annoying but otherwise the issues specific for this panel can be dealt with unlike the other panel types

ps
    to give practical example of the shift: so i have the vivaldi browser with vertical tabs, so there is a deep grey vertical bar at the left, the lower part is brighter than the top, the best way to deal with is to tilt the monitor upwards

but the positives outweight this, for example i tried virtua tennis 1 (yes the first) on it the first it came and that game is engine locked to 50 fps, it still plays like a totally new game due to 155hz, its ridiculous, so fluid and responsive, arcade feeling baby :D

pps
    i use the color profile from pcmonitors.info that i linked in the previous post (its in their review), but i use the standard preset with it not how they advice it, for me gives the most pleasing picture, i use that with only 10% brightness and 65% contrast, one can reduce the sharpness to 40% as well, very neutral and "calm" like this, no eye strain

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know you have to pick your posion and which you can live with or without they all have there draw backs. I will never own IPS panel cause bluring/ghosting is horrid on them more so then VA and TN. My TN monitor Asus VS248 has really shitty black compared to that old LN32550A Samsung tv I had, but it response time is much better then that samsung tv but as far as response time and blurring goes they all suck. mostly cause I remeber crt and I had one those trinitron sony crt and know how good they are.

For my purposes the TCL s517 uhdtv which is VA is good enough for me 55" that 4k better then my old tv and better blacks then my monitor and response time and there blurr is better then old tv all for 399$ I wouldnt even be able to touch 4k monitor for that price last i looked atlest not in 27" let alone 24" cause I think 24" highest I will ever go for monitor that I am not even 2 feet from ,unless it MMO or some old game that dont support gamepads I dont game on my monitor anymore anyway.

11. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    I know exactly what you mean dude. WIthout spending 2k$ you have to make a choice between having blur or ghosting or having a better screen quality but with more ghosting and blur or having both,and live with it. Last time i bought an monitor was in 2011 ( Before i bought the MSI..and the BenQ after) or something and i remember back then the only issue i had to worry about was contrast/gamma ratio when buying monitors. Wth happend in the meanwhile with all this added ghosting/motion blur on these so called "Gaming monitors" ?!. Is it because the refreshrate went up or the lower response times or what. It's like these monitors just arent up to the task.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    LCD/LED was worst thing to happen to gaming and view tv imo. The bluring ghosting what ever you want to call it ruins and advantages LCD/LED had over CRT aside from the fact there slim and weight nothing, Static images? amazing picture quality, Slow moving images? and I do mean SLOW ok picture quality. Fast Moving? which pretty much gaming watch tv the blur is just down right horrid. to this day I still annoyed by it and been using LCD/LED since 2000. The tech just dont hold candle to CRT in that regard.

From my pov VA is probably best type panel for my prefernece and what I will to deal with and not deal with. TN might be fast but it colors and darks are horrid (which is what my monitor is), IPS might have best color out of them but general the worst when come to blacks response times and black uniformity ( had few IPS panels they all went back for refunds as I just want willing to deal with them)

And before some one say get 120hz monitor or even 240hz and blur will be gone. No it isnt not to my eyes nor is 60hz on LCD/LED the same and 60hz CRT in terms of smoothness let alone how much blur LCD has vs CRT at 60hz the 2 arnt even close. oLED is only thing close and that was annouced decade ago and it still not wide spread.

it only comes down to preference and what one is will to live with and with out.

AATT likes this.
  13. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    agree that it is not the same (if both at 60hz for example), lcd tech only catches up when using the backlight strobing technology in addition to high refresh, i still remember crt gaming back then with even higher refresh rate and resolution than it was later standard for lcd (1080p@60), it was way ahead of its time

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I have c27f 1080p curved va panel and i can definitelly see pixels if i look for them. Gaming is fine in motion isnt that bad. Having freesync helps and i love the size.

-Tj- likes this.
  15. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    i sidegraded from 4k 24" @60 to 1440p 27" @155hz

:eek:o_O

16. chix_AHOY

chix_AHOY Active Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4gb Pulse
    I had a bad experience with va panel. black crush during gaming, i have a keen eye and this problem gave me tons of headache. I believe the newer model of va panel is not affected by this issue.
    IPS panel also has issues like ips glow and backlight bleed, you just have to decide if it's accepatable or not

So before buying check the monitor carefully.

17. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    I had the MSI VA panel for a week time,i had a headache everytime i used it and got a bad eyestrain feeling i had to look away from the monitor and just not use it, and i was wondering why..What's going with these panels ? Are some people just more sensitive to it as others ? Ive never experienced this.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Happy BenQ EW3270U owner, I love the colors, the accuracy, and the deep blacks of the VA panel. Ghosting also isn't an issue. I suspect as the panel gets bigger, the tech gets better.

19. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    It just feels atm no matter what monitor you buy,its not gonna be perfect. I know its all subjective but im highly sensitive to things as ghosting/artifacting/motion blurring/coronas/flickering/bad contrast ratios etc,and once i notice it, its gonna bother me. It seems that every monitor atm is good at doing one off, or a few of these things but not all. Maybe the ones that cost 1 - 2k$ but thats not something im willing to spend on a monitor. I dont know that much about the new kind of monitors we have nowadys and what it all means in practice,but why are these monitors nowadays so bad compared to old crt monitors ? Especially when it comes to things as ghosting and motion blurring which seems excessive on alot of monitors stating theyre "Gaming monitors reducing motion blur" while it seems its all worse as on 2 older monitors i have right here.

An old Hewlet packard CRT from before 2005 and some HP LCD i bought in 2011 all handle motion blurring and ghosting better while keeping a good screen quality ontop,although not being 1ms offcourse and stuck at 60hz but after having tried several new monitors now i dont know if this whole 1ms thing is so amazing. The best thing from these new monitors is the ability to have such a high refreshrate or resolution,but besides it they all seem to have issues with ghosting/blurring and the ways these companies try to fight those issues seems to reduce screen quality or add artifacts.
    Is it maybe better to avoid "Gaming" monitors completely and go for a normal one ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The old CRT's would give me headaches from long use if they ran at 60Hz. 75Hz or better for me. And let's discuss how many times I had to fix a CRT because some component fails, and often the same component repeatedly. (Looks over at the dead ViewSonic 19" CRT who's power chip failed more times than the Democratic Party)

Well, yes, phosphors lose luminance faster than a de-energized LED, but the technology is improving. I understand OLED is quite nice, but I don't own one of those. But again, I am not as sensitive to it as you seem to be, so I find my current VA just fine. I also use 4K, and the tighter dot pitch may lessen the effect.