V-Sync on or off with G-sync?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by ATOJAR, Jul 27, 2021.

1. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Hey all,

Just picked up a new 27" LG UltraGear IPS 144Hz monitor that has G-Sync, i have had a Google but it seems to give mixed results on if V-Sync should be on or off?

So my question is this, should V-Sync be enabled within the Nvidia control panel if i have G-Sync turned on also what about in games? Do i turn V-Sync on of off when i have G-Sync turned on.

Cheers.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you don't want tearing, keep vsync ON. But to avoid vsync lag, make sure you either set "low latency mode" to "ultra" in the nvidia panel, or make sure to cap FPS so it never reaches the refresh rate. For 144Hz, a 140FPS cap will do the job.

The "ultra" low latency mode will automatically cap FPS. But if it doesn't work with some games (I think it sometimes doesn't work with games that use Vulkan), then always cap yourself.

For more info, read:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

It has 15 articles, I linked to the 1st one.

ATOJAR likes this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    depends on the games you play. for twitchy esports titles leave everything off to get the highest fps you can for the best response times.

if its single player/coop games you play and response time is not a big factor then GSYNC ON + In game Vsync/or NVCP Vsync + fps limit -3 below your refresh rate is the best option.

If you have GSYNC ON + Vsync OFF + -3fps Limit then you can still get tearing (SEE THIS PIC) its on page 6 of the link that @RealNC posted above. See how with VSYNC off even with an fps limit tearing at the bottom (or even the top sometimes) of the frame can occur.

So;

Everything OFF for the fastest response times, good for flicky/twitchy competitive games (tearing will occur)
    or
    GSYNC + VSYNC (in game or NVCP) + -3fps frame limit below max refresh (no tearing will occur but sacrifice some response time).

ATOJAR likes this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep vsync on otherwise you are running without synchronised refresh.
    Think of it this way, if vsync is off, how can the display track the start of each frame?

You can manually configure each game and driver config but you gotta be bothered.
    If you have gsync theres no need.

ATOJAR likes this.

5. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Sorry to pull this back up but here goes ....

OK so i have both G-Sync and V-Sync "on" in Nvidia CP and as well as low latency mode set to "on", the frame limiter set to 141 and turn V-sync "off" in games. This is the correct way yes? ... Well if i tick to show the G-Sync compatible indicator i get a icon in games in the top right that says "G-SYNC" in green so i guess its working? And this is the correct way?

Is the green "G-SYNC" compatible icon live? By that i mean say i turned off V-Sync and in-game my refresh rate went past that of my monitor then technically "G-SYNC" is no longer active and working(right?), would this icon disappear and reappear on the fly as my frames bounced over and below the monitors max refresh rate?

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes that's the correct way. I think that Latency "Ultra" is recommended by nVidia themselves (at least that's what the help text in NVCPL says). I don't know anything about a G-sync icon - I personally just enable G-sync in NVCPL and then it's always on (I can confirm by looking at my monitors OSD menu). I would just use the settings you described and not worry about it anymore.

ATOJAR likes this.
  7. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Its just it states here under the "Low Latency Mode Settings" section > https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

If an in-game or config file FPS limiter, and/or RTSS FPS limiter is available, or Nvidia’s “Max Frame Rate” limiter is in use, and framerate does not always reach or exceed refresh rate:

Set “Low Latency Mode” to “On.”

As im using the max frame rate limiter in Nvidia CP i thought i should be using "on" and not "Ultra"? I wonder if ultra may be a better option?

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No. The icon is only "live" in the sense that it indicates whether or not g-sync is possible. FPS exceeding max Hz wouldn't make it disappear. But bringing up a Windows UI like the audio volume bar should make it disappear, since as long as the volume bar is visible, g-sync is not possible.

ATOJAR likes this.
  9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Ultra works fine in most cases. I think there's also an automatic fps cap when using VRR + vsync + Reflex that also works with D3D12/Vulkan.

10. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    The ultra setting limits the fps to 138 in supported games, i have set my fps limiter to 138 to match and im now using ultra instead of on, i am hoping the two settings work in tandem and the frame limiter will kick in, in games that do not support the ultra setting?

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yeah. Unless there's games out there where the nvidia limiter also won't work. Not sure if there are any.

Setting the nvidia limiter in the global profile though always sounded fishy to me. I don't know what kind of side-effects there can be if every application running on my system gets a frame cap. I usually set it in the per-game profiles.

I like to limit the FPS to a value that is close to what the game can perform at anyway. I don't like it when in a game my FPS varies too much. Like in some place I get 90FPS, then in another I get 138. It just doesn't feel good. So I would set a limit of 100FPS or so for that particular game.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    How to cap framerate the right way on freesync monitor using rtx 2060.?

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    As a rule of thumb, same way you do with g-sync.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    so tell me plz how does it work thanks

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i ve been testing limiting fps in singleplayer games, since there s no need for very framerates, and i tried actually, and i found out:
    limiting fps in F1 22 at 100 is good, limiting it to 72 was choppy didn t feel smooth, resident evil village is kinda ok at 74, what s the best fps limit to have on a 144hrz monitor in order to keep gpu usage around 85 %