1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utah firing squad executes convicted killer

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ScaryClown, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 CFX
    The list of all the innocent people on the death penalty:
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

If you have death penalty there are always going to be some innocent there too.
    Imperfections of the system.
    But think about them for a little: Being innocent and waiting to die.
    And the prison life....well..

2. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I don't agree with the death penalty but while it is in effect i think the state has an obligation to execute condemned prisoners in the most humane and painless way possible. I think that death by firing squad would be very quick and when you hear doubts about lethal injection i don't think it was a big deal actually.

Never the less i think the state should do everything it possibly can to avoid any emulation of the criminal actions, so saying a person should die in a manner that resembles their crimes is just barbaric and makes the state nothing more than a murderer.

Michael Portillo did a TV program on this and discovered a painless method of execution that doesn't require medical professionals and is not expensive, it's nitrogen gas. Apparently if you were in a room that was filled with nitrogen gas you wouldn't notice it, it would eventually make you go light headed (or euphoric even) and then you pass out and die. Some people say that having the prisoner "go out on a high" is not justice and that "punishment should be painful", that is ridiculous, there has to be agreement that death IS the punishment.

3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I wouldn't normally be for it, but that's how he asked to go. He made people suffer and he wanted to suffer himself. I mean, he used the saying "Live by the gun, die by the gun.".

At least he gets a point for originality.

I agree completely with your last statement, Solinari. The act of dying completely takes about 10 minutes after the heart stops, but death is eternal. :)

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I will say that I think everybody who supports the death penalty should read "The innocent man" by John Grisham, if they can find the time.

As for the manner of execution, I'd much prefer to be shot by a firing squad to lethal injection. I'd prefer to face death like a man and force my executioners to do the same.

/besides you really don't feel the bullet if it hits right

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010

5. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 CFX
    Well sort of,kinda....depends on where the bullet hits and what kind of a bullet it was(rifle,gun).
    For example if it hits you in the liver,you are certainly going to die,but its gonna hurt,i mean really hurt,like "gimme more morphine" hurt! :)

Anyways,love and peace! :D

6. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Weapons were Winchester model '94s (.30-30).

If you care to read an eye-witness account
    http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15325356

[​IMG]

This is an excerpt from another forum where a member had posted the executioner's account:

Just before midnight, the Winchester Model 94 30.30-caliber rifles were loaded. Four had live rounds. The fifth contained a wax bullet.

A prison official selected each rifle at random from the table and handed them to another sitting out of sight in a small room. The second official loaded the rifle but was unable to see the position it was returned to on the table.

Corrections officers brought Taylor into the execution chamber and strapped him to the chair. He appeared calm and cooperative.

"If I have to give the man anything in this whole process, it's that he walked into the room under his own power and sat down," one of the officers said.

Everyone watched two phones on the wall, one of which was a line to the attorney general, the other to the governor, both of whom could have authorized a delay.

"By then, I didn't think it would ring," one of the officers said. "I knew this was actually going to happen."

When ordered, all five officers got into position behind their rifles. The death chamber was brilliantly lit, with the lights shining directly on Taylor. The barrels of the rifles did not extend through the ports in the wall.

"Then they opened the curtains to the witness area," one officer said. "I don't remember being able to see who was there, but I knew they couldn't see us."

The firing squad captain walked down the line and tapped each shooter on the shoulder.
    "If you were ready to go, you held up a thumb," one of the officers said.
    The captain called off the cadence: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Everyone fired. The target patch pinned to Taylor's shirt flew off.

"There was one boom," one of the officers said. "My first thought was 'holy ****, we missed.'" "From my vantage point there was absolutely no reaction from Taylor. Nothing. I honest to God thought we missed."

Except for Taylor's head relaxing and dropping forward, none of the officers recalled any visible reaction.
    "There was no gore, no real sign of blood," one of them recalled. "My wife recorded the news accounts at home and there was all this stuff about blood and the smell of death. I got quite upset about that."

When the drapes to the witness area closed and a Taylor's body was removed, the shooters were allowed to briefly examine the execution chamber. They then were driven back to the drop-off point and released.

7. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

Removed...so sorry I posted that...did I offend some one?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This is a good example of why people say the English language is dead in the US. Nobody seems to have the capacity to understand English anymore. I said "can" and "extended sentences". People serving 1-20 years...aren't serving "extended sentences". An "extended sentence" is 20+ years. Most prison inmates, even after serving 5-10 years, still require some sort of assistance in adapting to public life. Most have to be taught how to be a benefit to society. The "3 strike" rule was conceived because so many inmates are released after serving 10-20 years in prison and can't adapt to society or the changes since they last experienced society. Some forget how to manage their own lives and do what they know will return them to the life they knew and had become acustomed to.

9. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    If you start an argument about death and choose language as the path then you have already lost my friend. It has nothing to do with language. Words are an excuse for an action, at least in this case.

But as with most logical people here you have a point. A point in which no one will agree upon. The argument is useless. It's like fighting against religion. There are no sides, only winners and losers, as defined by their own beliefs.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI

11. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
  12. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

Busted by the forum :cop:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  13. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Capital punishment is a deterrent...that person will never be able to murder an innocent person again.

14. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    i think there wrong when they say person who shooting dont know who had real bullets n one who dont. Honestly dont u c bullet leave the barrel of a gun when u shooting it n aim down the sight

15. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    I stopped reading here, a crime of passion (murder) is actually manslaughter, if it is proved to be of passion.

16. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Nope. Something traveling 1,000 feet per second is way beyond our perception. Note: I don't know how fast exactly the bullets went for that caliber of rifle. It's just a guess. I know they can travel in excess of 5,000 feet per second, but I'm sure that's more along the lines of the military. :)

**Added**Unless of course a person uses tracer rounds. But then all you're really seeing is the bullet path, with the exception of great distances.

**Also added**Haha, thank you for explaining that in much better detail, Dustpuppy. I'm no expert on the ballistics, but I sure love harnessing it in a peaceful manner. :)

**Also, also added**I SO just stood underneath my fan and spun in a counter-clockwise motion. Now if only I were Superman I could watch a bullet. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    A .30-30 fires a round at 2400 feet per second, you will not see that.

Take a look at your ceiling fan, look at the end tip of the blade; can you resolve each individual blade just barely? Each blade is maybe 24" and an RPM of less than 200. A point at the very tip of the blade is traveling at a measly 41 feet per second and you would probably have trouble resolving a single grey dot placed at the tip of a blade. The bullet is traveling 60,000% faster.

200rpm*2*pie*24inches * (1/60s) * (1ft/12in)

18. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    heres a perfect example dude.would rather see Charlie Manson remain in prison or give him the same fate as this guy cause charlie Manson is a sicko to the bone and if he was given the chance he would burn the whole world down,and you would like to keep him locked up?

19. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    No, you can't see a bullet. ^_^

I always figured they might as well make a bullet firing robot, in much the same way they have a poison injecting robot. :/

20. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    So you'd rather sink to his level then let the man live? That's saying more about you, than about him.