Utah firing squad executes convicted killer

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ScaryClown, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    But regardless of his crimes, surely the executioner and the people involved in the decision to kill him are just as guilty of murder as he is ?

He did it illegally, they did it legally, but in essence, it is the same act

2. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    It is more humane to convict a person for life for genocide then killing them.
    If you kill them, your legal system is automatically as bad as the death convicted person.
    And srly you want I argue the difference between killing someone and incarcerating him for life in a special environment designed to contain him?

3. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    If the law did not lock them up or punish them, then gangs of people would start doing it, legal system is necessary, but taking of life shouldnt be one of them

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    And i am aware that my country killed it's own dictator, but we abolished the death penalty, and it was only during communist time. AFAIK, USA is the only "democratic" state with death sentence.

5. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    What right does any person or entity have to KILL OR RAPE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING?

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    That's where we'll have to agree to disagree.

Murder is taking the life of someone. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Capital punishment, taking the life of a criminal, by law, who serves no purpose to society, who cannot be released into society due to issues with his own safety, an inability to rehabilitate the said person and the safety of the outside population... i see nothing wrong with it at all... it is not murder by definition.

You can talk about things being humane or not. I don't think it is humane to lock someone up for life... a mind as intelligent as the human mind should not be confined in a prison for life, taking the "person" element out of it... what does it achieve? Absolutely nothing, well other than mental illness most likely. Ever thought about the mental aspect of being locked up for the rest of eternity?

Errr, well that's my point. We can do whatever the **** we like. Arguing for one against the other is completely irrelevant.

Saying you hate Capital punishment but you're up for locking away a person for the rest of his life, which is a complete waste of time, is nothing but hypocricy.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Wait wait wait, you want to put potential serial killers within reach of bombs? How is that possibly a good idea? The reason people like this are executed is because they are unsafe to keep alive.

In my opinion, some people should just be eradicated from the gene pool. People like Ian Huntley, the Moors murderers, Fritzl etc just shouldn't be alive. It isn't a revenge thing. It isn't a punishment. It is simply disposing of trash. It doesn't have to be painful or slow (in fact I don't think it should be, regardless of what they deserve), it's simply a means to an end.

As for the argument that it makes us no better than them, that is just, no offense, retarded. These people kill for fun, for pleasure, to satisfy cravings. There is literally something wrong with them. Executing such people is a public service, not a joy ride. Entirely different circumstances.

EDIT:
    Totally agreed.

8. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I don't support executing people immediately after trial, but I do support the death penalty.

As for this self righteous nonsense about us being 'just as bad'... A pervert sits in his office at church, he plans for weeks. He then goes up to the house cuts the phone lines, ties up a mans daughter for hours raping her repeatedly; he then tortures her until he gets bored then takes his time murdering her.

Who the **** are you to tell us we're just as bad?

I'm glad you felt qualified to make that judgment, because that man "Dennis Rader" is sitting in a comfy cell now.

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Sums it up!

10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    A murderer has a mental illness (Those that were not crimes of passion, acting in the moment without thinking) I mean serial killers and the such.

As much as they should not be allowed back on the streets, and I agree, and eternity of confinement would be disasterous to the human mind - I can not see a better alternative, and obviously the governments can not either, maybe a lobotomy and put in a mental health ward

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
  12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI

Well its not like they wont be under guard from the team they are with, and its not like they will be able to use the IEDs or the kind against anyone else

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    No, they'll just end up blowing themselves up and killing "the team that they are with".

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    You say that, but these serial killers are often incredibly intelligent, patient and creative. Just because you or I can't see how it could go bad, doesn't mean it won't. And push comes to shove, the squad he's with end up shooting him when he tries something dodgy, and we are back to square one, so frankly I see it as a massive waste of time and money training the *******.

EDIT:
    I can't believe you even just suggested that as some sort of better alternative to putting a bullet in their head. Frankly, I find lobotomies to be one of the most uncivilised and horrific forms of "treatment" I have ever come across. THEY CUT OUT PART OF THE BRAIN. How is that a good solution, from any viewpoint?! And how is a mental ealth ward, minus part of your brain, any better than jail for the rest of your life? Honestly, the most humane thing to do, for everyone, is to just kill these sickos.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea I know there are massive flaws with this theory, and it most likely will never happen, Im just looking at positive alternatives to the death sentence

EDIT - On a humourous note.

We could make a whole load more SAW films that were more real than ever ....

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    "morally/emotionally/religiously"

You can leave the last part out because religious morals have only ever brought persecution to innocent people for no good reason.

I mean just look at what good came from all those people burnt at the stake, just look at how pure and good the world is...

Eye for an eye I say, I don't know what crime he committed, but I take it that it was something particularly brutal because you don't get the death penalty for stealing a car or even rape or 'run of the mill' murder.

I'm not for violence or for the death penalty per se, but i'm also not for wasting tax payer money on keeping people alive who will show no remorse or regard for human life. He made his decision.

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    That's my point. It isn't a positive anything.

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    How about a life time of hard labour, something that is actually beneficial to the rest of the world

1. not locked up in a tiny cell going mad
    2. helping stop sweat shops and child labour
    3. paying for their own keep

19. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The death penalty is about justice not revenge, vengeance belongs to God. The DP should always be as quick & clean as it can be; an execution should never be drawn out simply to inflict pain.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Seriously leave God/Gods/Goatse out of this, look back in history at how many people where tortured, mutilated, executed for such things and still are, it really brings nothing to this thread but flaming potential.