UT3 and forceware 18x.xx

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Flakk, Jan 17, 2009.

1. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    I just reinstalled UT3 today on my new system and I'm getting BSODs with the 182.06 drivers. I heard UT3 has BSOD issues with the 18x.xx drivers and WinXP. Anyone know the best driver for UT3 at this point?

Here are the specifics of my problem (haven't installed new patch3 or Titan patch but was on the way there):

That's f-ing wonderful that I got this new system to see UT3 in all its glory and now it won't even run. Right now I have Nvidia drivers 182.06 and it works fine for all my other games except UT3 (I haven't installed GRID yet though; it works fine with Unreal Gold, UT, Quake3, UT2003, UT2004, Painkiller, Doom3 and Quake4) on my new system. Here are my pertinent new system specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8600 Wolfdale
    MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    HS: Noctua NH-C12P
    RAM: Corsair 4GB(2x2GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) TWIN2X4096-8500C5
    VIDEO CARD: EVGA Nvidia GTX 280 (1GB) >> running 182.06 now!
    PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ ERV850EWT 850W
    HD: 2 WD 1TB internal drives (external Seagate disconnected for now)

As you guys may or may not know, I've been installing games on my new system in order of release date and now am having trouble with UT3 (I guess I should have installed UT3 first; taking forever because I have a 4-year old son). Here's what I did and the results:

1. Install UT3 to the D: drive with my other games and used the -nohomedir extension to run the game from there (works on old system no problem so this isn't the problem).
    2. Got in the game fine with CD key and brought up my old account and my player was still there. I set all the game settings and exited the game.
    3. Installed Patch 1.1 (patch1)
    4. Installed Patch 1.2 (patch2)
    5. Installed UT3 Bonus Pack
    6. Installed Patch 1.3 (patch3)
    7. Rebooted and started the game and the game cover comes on the screen for about 10 seconds and then I get a BSOD like this:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer......(yada yada yada)...
    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xBA297B44, 0x00000000)
    ....(yada yada yada)..."

The RAM position 0xB... seems to change with each try but the other numbers remain the same. I also tried increasing my RAM voltage to 2.1 recommended by Corsair with no go (this is only from 2.08 to 2.1 though; everything running stable except UT3 at 2.08 or 2.1).

So is this a driver issue? What drivers should I be using with UT3? Does this have anything to do with NvidiaCP settings (not changed) vs. in-game settings (not changed in any files on hard drive yet or whatever)? Thank you.

2. XcroN

XcroN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    i use 186.18 and used this drivers:
    182.05,182.08,182.50,185.85,186.06,186.18 with UT3 Working fine for me

3. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    I'm glad to see someone posted a link to my old site for UT3 benchmarks at alcomsplace, but unfortunately I'm not running the benchmark tests anymore. I stopped at 180.60 when my PSU died and the RMA took so long I thought I'd never catch up.

Since this is discussion has become larely a crashing complaints thread, I thought I'd suggest some other ideas. The drivers aren't the only issue. I have a troubleshooting page on my site too, and I thought I'd share the most imortant snippet on that page:
    Cheers gurus!

4. DevilsKnight

DevilsKnight Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
    UT3 Crashing

Unreal Tournament III has always gave me problems too. There is no way to predict when it will happen; maybe ten minutes, maybe after two hours. Or it may even play games with me and work flawlessly for months, then chooses when to start acting up. I usually always update my drivers to the latest official forceware drivers and occasionally update to non official betas. I'm running Vista 64-bit with an eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (G92) video card. Heat shouldn't be an issue.. I have an Antec Nine Hundred Pro chassis with four 120mm fans, one 200mm fan, a ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 Premium CPU Cooler, and the GeForce is stock. I do overclock, but it's nothing my PC can't handle. I don't crash in other games or on the desktop, just seems like UT3. I run ePSXe, F.E.A.R. 2, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2, and Quake Live without problems. I'm currently using nVIDIA's ForceWare 185.85 drivers. I haven't tried UT3 with these yet.

5. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    Those tweaks didn't work, so it looks like I may have to update my drivers or I may just update UT3 to the latest patch/etc anyway and see if that works. I really had no plans to update my drivers for a while and I'm thinking I may try this as a last resort. Anyone know how the new 190.15 drivers play with UT3 in WinXP?

This is an interesting thread:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=659371

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  6. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    Looks like UT3 works now! And I didn't even have to change video drivers!

I tried deleting those 3 files and also the whole Config subd like that Epic forum said and either got same BSOD or UT3.exe has encountered problem errors, respectively. I then installed the Patch 2.0, Titan Pack and Patch 2.1 and rebooted between each update, restarted, got fancy new splash screen, but same BSOD. I was pretty disappointed by now and thought I would have to reinstall video drivers, but I decided to try the deleting the 3 files again (UTGame.ini, UTEngine.ini and UTEditor.ini) and I got in the game and played one DM match all the way through without changing my settings, rebooted, changed the settings to 1920x1200 etc., then played another match all the way through, rebooted, played another match, did not reboot, UT3 started again, played another match, rebooted, left AntiVir free anti-virus running this time and still was able to play.

UT3 is working for me now with the 182.06 drivers! Hope everyone else gets it running.:)