UT3 and forceware 18x.xx

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Flakk, Jan 17, 2009.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Hmm because that what I did with both of my computers, Since my other comp has the 20s on and my main the 22's.

Did you also disable the in game option too besides the nvidia control panel phsyx option. Thats how I have it on my comp when I fixed it for my both my comps.

2. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    Well, I can report 180.48 drivers work, 181.20/22 will crash on War maps if you look anywhere near a portal which is probably why only War maps crash for me. Others have confirmed this on Epic's forum.

3. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    It's not a driver issue : change the 'post filter' quality (or shader I can't remember, it's the first slider) from 100 to 98 -> you can play as long as you want and look in any portal, it works :)

(I'm running 185.20 drivers btw and tested all of them until 181.22)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Any feedback?? :nerd:

5. adv1

adv1 Member Guru

UT3 used to run fine for me, hadn't played the game in a while but when I tried loading it up again recently it kept crashing within a few seconds of loading the map. My current drivers are 181.20.

After mesterial's post I tried changing Screen Percentage under Advanced settings, I set it from 100 to 98 and loaded up WAR-Avalanche.. wow, for the first time in ages it didn't crash within the first few seconds of loading!! I then tried putting it back to 100, loaded the map again and within a few seconds it crashed. Back to 98 and it worked again! :)

Don't know if this will fix everyone's problems, and I haven't tried playing for more than a few minutes yet, but the fact I can play at all without it crashing straight away is a big immediate improvement. Thanks very much mesterial :thumbup:

6. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Thanks, I've done so MANY tests to see what drivers/settings use or change in order to avoid crashes... :boozer: :whip:

Btw it's not the FOV setting, but "rendering quality", in the advanced tab (I have the french version sorry if the translation doesn't match :3eyes: )

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  7. adv1

adv1 Member Guru

In the version I have (bought in the UK) it's called "Screen Percentage", the first slider in the Advanced options under the Video settings section.

Have tested a few times now, keeping all other settings (Texture Detail, World Detail, FOV etc.) the same, this is what happens for me:

- Start UT3, with Screen Percentage set to 100, load WAR-Avalanche: crash after a few seconds of play.
    - Start UT3, set Screen Percentage to 98, load WAR-Avalanche: no crashes.

My gfx card is 8800GT. Don't know why this particular setting makes such a difference to the game working for me but it does.

8. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Well, I'm very glad to see everyone reading this should be able to deal with the problem, not to mention the ability to UPDATE nvidia's drivers since they are not responsible for it!! :grad:

(I have even tried 180.48 thinking it was a drivers issue!)

9. Inskipp

Inskipp New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 470GTX 1280MB
    UT3 seems to work fine for me, I just played for over an hour straight.

Using 181.20's, about to switch to 181.22's.

I don't think UT3 has ever crashed on me.

10. 0racle

0racle Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768MB SLI
    Well after some testing of 180.48 that appears to have solved the crash to desktop error for Warefare maps.

I played for about 2 hours on Friday night with no problems. However today I came to play and after 20mins I got a system lockup so that problem still exists after changing nvidia drivers.

Searching the UT3 forums the random lockup/freeze crash on UT3 is quite common but no one has identified what causes it :(

11. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Could you define "lockup" :
    - UT3 crashed?? (with some Vista report about ut3.exe) -> my 'fault' :bang: (or yours for you haven't update Vista nor UT)
    - nvddkmk as been recovered?? -> yours :puke2: (in that case, stop overclocking the GPU and/or downclock by 20Mhz the graphic mem and put the GPU fan to 100% in games

(I can't think of some thing else on Vista...)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  12. Emig5m

Emig5m New Member

GPU:
    BFG / 8800GT OC / 512
    Although the 185.20 drivers have been working great for me with UT3/Win7, there's some other features broken (non related to gaming) so I'm probably going to go ahead and try this fix. Important question: Does this lower graphic/image quality in any way?

13. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Aswer : NOT at all!!! :bounce: :cheers:

14. DEATHSTAR

DEATHSTAR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285 SLi + 8800GTX
    you are entitled to your opinion, but thats all it is. I have never had ut3 crash with any driver and i play on SLI, which is suppose to be more problematic. I think you need the latest UT3 patch ver. 1.3 and that goes for the initial post as well. I hope you will have better experience after that. I do agree, UT3 is not completely bug free, but that goes for most games. I currently use 181.20 32bit xp and vista with hardware physics enabled and the latest PhysX driver. Good luck!

15. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    That's true : he may need the 1.3 patch AND my settings trick!! :eyes:

16. 0racle

0racle Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768MB SLI
    I have 1.3 installed and the lock up I'm getting is a complete system lock up (no crash to desktop) which would indicate its my system. Currently I have no other PC game to compare to identify it is my PC - next game I aim to buy is Crysis which will be a good test.

I searched the ut3 forums and the topic is discussed and temperatures and overclocks were ruled out by those also experiencing the problem.

How can I set my GPUs to 100% fan speed during gaming? I also want to rule out heat.

What I don't get is why I can play for 2hours across loads of different levels and game modes, then come on to play on a cold machine and have a system lock up in less than 20 minutes - the freeze seems to occur more often on certain maps.

17. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Use Nvtools or riva tuner

18. 3NF

3NF Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 512MB @ 780
    For me, 180.48 are fine. Anything above that I could consistently reproduce a crash in UT3. On the map Deck, jump down to the walkway that contains the shield belt and then dodge jump towards the portal. Always crashes ...

19. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Yup same here, nVidia really need to pull these drivers.

20. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    Have you guys eliminated Physx as a variable?