UT3 and forceware 18x.xx

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Flakk, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Recently i decided to update my forceware drivers, since they haven't been updated since September 08 (178.13 which is also the most stable version i have) I updated my 8600gt to 181.20 and i was really glad to see that all my games were working fine like normal. (no increased performance like nvidia stated on their driver support page) but today i suddenly came back to UT3, i went ahead i fired up a warfare mode with Torlan map and boom game quickly crashes. All the other modes work fine except for some maps in warfare modes.
    a quick search in the epic forums state that the 18x.xx drivers will crash UT3 in some parts and everyone there recommended a driver rollback.
    I rolledbacked my drivers to 178.13 and everything was normal again and i could play ut3 warfare normally!

the thing is why the hell does nvidia release unfinished and buggy drivers?
    i have been struggling with forceware driver problems since i had vista.
    and when is it going to be safe to upgrade my forceware again? (cuz based on this im not gonna update untill i make sure every single game works)
    and for gods sake is nvidia really serious about these ?

2. Gasketse

Gasketse Member

GPU:
    EN GTX295
    welcome to the club named crashing with powerful VGA cards

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    UT3 has always crashed. IMO its a sloppy game code, and I am very disappointed that it turned out the way it did. I had problems with the game crashing way back using my 8800 Ultra till now. Both ATI and Nvidia cards in between. My HD 3870 crashed UT3, 8800 Ultra, HD 3870 X2, 9800GX2, and now my GTX 280's. I don't even bother with the game anymore because of it. It's the only game I've ever owned to constantly crash like that.

Strange thing about it is, Gears of War doesn't give me a hard time like that.

4. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB
    I've used 18x.xx drivers for UT3 like 150~200hrs by now and I haven't had a single crash yet and my system is also overclocked (E8400 @ 500x8 (4.0GHz), 2x1GB @ DDR2-1000 4-4-4-8, 8800GT @ 705/1750/1015MHz)

The game is very picky about stability though and I had the game crash randomly at one point when I had changed motherboard to an Abit IP35 Pro as I thought my Gigabyte P35 DS4 had fubared after a bios flash but it turned out to be something fishy with the RAM and Abit IP35 Pro didn't like D9 micron based RAM very much either and then I've got new RAM and started using Gigabyte DS4 again and hasn't had a single crash since. Further I can add with the Abit IP35 Pro I didn't have any other games crash not even Crysis for example, but UT3 would, which is why I use this game for stability test now as it really stresses all components a lot, CPU, RAM and GPU.

5. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Crysis, Farcry 2, Prince of Persia, Dead Space, Call of Duty: World at War, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky, Company of Heroes, and all my Source engine games work flawlessly for me or close to it.

Unreal Tournament 3 does not. This game shouldn't be "picky" and I shouldn't have to dick around with any of my hardware to make it work properly when compared against all of these other games which work fine, especially when games that use the same engine, like Bioshock, also work just fine.

6. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    UT3 is prob in my top 3 PC games and its always worked fine on 18x.xx drivers, however ever since i reinstalled windows recently it keeps on crashing bout 10/15 mins into warefare, tried many differnet solutions and cant get it to work ... i have actually made a thread on the problem and if any1 has any ideas ...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=285173

So i will try rollingback drivers to 17x.xx and hope it works!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  7. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Are you getting any kind of error displayed when it crashes? Is it vista or xp?

8. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    im running visat but the same problem happens on windwos 7 beat ... it just comes up with a black screen with almost a 'copying' screen saying UT3 has stopped working, windows is trying to find a solution' it doesnt find 1 tho ... it then goes into desktop . il give the 178.xx ago l8r

9. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB
    I was just saying it is a game that is very picky about comp stability, like you said even more than the games you mentioned (I've tried all those too and some more) as I couldn't get other games to crash when my RAM/mobo wasn't completely stable (well I even thought it was stable until UT3 proved me wrong). There's also been a review made of which PC game puts the biggest load on your comp and UT3 drew the biggest power consumption, Crysis on the 2nd place in that review (I think UT3 had like 10W more or so). When I first got my current E8400 and started overclocking and found the required voltage for 4GHz UT3 still could crash after playing like 30mins+ despite the stress tests like OCCT and Orthos passed for 2hrs. I upped voltage one step and it didn't crash anymore. :p

That doesn't have to mean that is the problem in your case which I also doubt too but it's still a good thing to know, I'm using XP myself so could be some problem only related to Vista and 18x.xx drivers for UT3 for example.

185.20 are the best drivers I've used for UT3 so far (haven't tried 181.22 yet though).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  10. basilis20

basilis20 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 280 702/1404/2484
    The last stable drivers for UT3 are 180.48 for me.Any newer and it crashes instantly.

11. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    Ive just gone back to 178.24 and it works a treat meaning i can now play unreal again!

Thanks Everyone!

12. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    nice mate,
    stay awaay from 18x.xx drivers everyone!!

also
    today my friend told me that left 4 dead is crashing on these drivers anyone know anything about that?

13. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
  14. Random Guy

Random Guy Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 SLI
    Ditto for me, but not tried new betas (181 or 185).

15. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3080
    UT3 has also always been unstable for me. Whether it's outdated OpenAL libraries causing crashing, or the game itself... it does happen often.

Also the PhysX maps crash often for me (when I run other PhysX products like Mirrors Edge fine). It does amaze me how Epic, the developer of the UT3 engine can fall so short of other developers with their own technology!

BioShock actually supports DX10 (Which Epic promised but never did for UT3), and consequently it also supports AA ingame. Epic... does not. After all the time and patching spent on that game they still failed to deliver on a lot... What gives Epic? I know sales were poor, but damn you didn't help...

16. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    UT3 is a shoddy mess.

What the hell happened to epic? Did they get blinded by the success of UT2004 and stumble into a wall or something?

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    They started development on Geforce 6 series platforms, and fell way behind in their engine. They had a demo of their engine on 6 series a looong time ago, and it looked pretty much as it did now. I'm still confused over the whole thing.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I know when i either go back to 8.11 or used the newer 9 seris phsyx it fixed my UT3 depending on the os for me When using those 181.20 or 22 drivers.The 185 drivers didnt give me phsyx crashing or UT3 crashing. Also disabling GPU phsyx fixed it for me also. with 181.20/22 .

As for UT3 I dont agree, I happen to enjoy UT3 over UT2k4, as UT2k4 feels too arcadey to me after playing it for ages, wheres UT3 feels more like a hard work and feels more like UT99 to me. Most people didnt like UT3 because of the Gui and because it took more effort to aim and kill some one. And like the arcade feel of UT2k4 as it easier for them.

Then the openal crashing was related to creative, as the only time I had the openAL crashing was when I had the prelude and i had to turn it off as it would crash random offline and then alot online. I dont get any crashing now with my HDAV13 with the option.

Tho I didnt get it when I was playing it on my other computer Audigy2 just seems to be X-FI related, prolly x-ram .

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  19. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Actually most people don't like UT3 because it crashes most of the time.

20. 0racle

0racle Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768MB SLI
    Disabling GPU Physx for me didn't fix crashing on 181.20 (Vista 32-bit).

Instead of argueing over whether you like UT3 or not, for those of us who do wish to play it, can we start to agree whether there is a particular version of driver that appears to not crash?

[EDIT] From the comments here and elsewhere I am going to try the 180.48 drivers. Will post how it goes and whether I can play War Fare game mode again.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009