using second psu

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by matlear, Oct 20, 2008.

1. matlear

matlear Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 + 9800gt physx
    I have 2 x sparkle 9800gt running in sli, everything is fine my benchmarks are here near the bottom of the page. i have a 8800 gt from my old setup and would like to run this as a physx processor but my psu cant handle it, the bios wont even post. so is there a way to rund this 8800gt of a second psu so i dont have to buy another one.

1 how would i get the second psu to turn on without it being connectod to the motherboard ?

thanks in advance

mat

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. BungRTS

BungRTS Member

GPU:
    GTX460 768MB Sli
    yo matlear

an 850W i figured would be enough, but it depends on the amps on the 12V rail

however if you have a 2nd psu then by attaching the green wire from the 2nd to the 1st and the black to the black from 2nd to 1st psu will allow you to trigger them both on/off

i use a PC Power and Cooling 610W Silencer @49A on 12V rail for my mobo and a Retail Plus 465W @26A on the 12V rail for the Pci-e plug ins on my 8800GTX's(SLI) and 8800GTS(Physx). also i use the 2nd psu for a few fans and the DVD RW. works great looks cool as i have the 2nd psu in the 5.25" front bays of the case uses up 3 slots but i took it apart and removed most of the wires i didnt need and then soldered the power cable to the plug in posts and ran the cable out the back the retail plus has two fans and pulls air from the top of the HDD's underneath it and exits that air out the front

using a 2nd psu is quite all right just dont use a crap one , but that goes without saying

cheers m8 hope this helps

BungRTS

3. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    http://www.hardwaremods.com/guides/psu_jump/psu_jumping.html U CAN ALWAYS JUMP OUT SECOND PSU. I USE ONE FOR MOBO GFX CARDS ,HD'S DVDROM,SOUND ETC... I USED SECOND ONE FOR WATER COOLING SYSTEM N FANS. HOW SAFE IS IT TOO HOOK UP SECOND ONE JUST FOR GRAPHIC CARDS. ALSO HAVE NO MORE ROOM TO HOOK UP 8800GT FOR PHYSICS.EITHER SPENDING MORE MONEY ON 1000WAT PSU.

CAN U TURN ON SEC PSU WITHOUT HURTING GFX CARD THATS NOT HOOKED UP TO MOBO PSU? MY SECOND PSU JUST SITS ON SELF NEXT TO PC CASE

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  4. Guy0510

Guy0510 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2 @ 700/1750/11

5. XecutR

XecutR New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 280 SLi

[​IMG]

6. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru