Using GPU load to overclock/underclock 4890?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by crackshot91, Dec 16, 2009.

1. crackshot91

crackshot91 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 (1050/1300)
    Hey, guys. I'm trying to do something. I want to have my 4890 overclock when playing a 3d game (900/1000) and underclock when doing anything else (240/490) I have several problems.

1) the lowest I can set the core clock is 425. If I let the driver handle the clocks, it goes down to 240, but the memory stays up at 1000. I want to be able to both have the core speed down to 240 and the memory down to 490 (MEMIO temp drops significantly.) Is there anyway to increase the range rivatuner can adjust the clocks?

2) I currently have it setup so that rivatuner underclocks the card to 425/490 at rt startup, and when gpu load drops under 10%. It overclocks when load is above 30%. Unfortunately, it takes like 5 seconds for the settings to apply, which means that I have 5 seconds of terrible performance until rt raises the clocks. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but the clocks drop any time I pause the game, or a non-game engine cutscene plays. How do I make it so that rt only lowers the clocks when I'm at the desktop?

3) When I'm at the desktop, the gpu usage some times goes up to 20% (Aero?) and then drops, which means rt re-applies the underclock because the load % drops under 10, even though the underclock is already active. How do I make sure rt does not launch a profile if it is already launched?

Thanks, I hope someone can help!

2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
  3. crackshot91

crackshot91 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 (1050/1300)
    I tried using hardware acceleration like you suggested, but it gets stuck at "1". If I enable it, it reads correctly at "0" on the desktop and "1" while gaming. When I quit the game, however, hardware acceleration remains at "1" so it doesn't apply the underclock.

4. crackshot91

crackshot91 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 (1050/1300)
    Well, I sort of got it to apply quicker. I set the sampling and freezing period to 0 and it takes about 1 second now to switch clocks. Is there any way to get rivatuner to allow me to use lower clocks than 425/490?

5. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    To set the clock range so you can achieve lower clocks go to:

Power User tab > Rivatuner\Overclocking\Global

Check "MinClockLimit", and give it a value. I put 10, and Riva gave me a minimum clock of 110MHz.

Now, we go to parts B and C. This is easy. What you do is set Rivatuner to load your underclock at Windows boot, then use the Launcher to overclock during an application. As long as the application is open (not loading the GPU) the overclock will be applied.

burebista's guide has a tutorial on using Launcher, post #2:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=296813/

6. crackshot91

crackshot91 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 (1050/1300)
    I got my 4890 underclocked to 275/315! thanks!!! Also, I think I've found the best solution. I'm using the framerate! I have it set so that when the fps is >5, the OC kicks in, and when <5 (desktop doesn't report fps) the underclock kicks in. Rivatuner's fps monitoring works in every 3D game, correct? Unfortunately, I have some 2D games that report FPS (RCT2, AoE) but the gpu load is so low that temps only rise a little bit. Using the fps as a rule, the oc stays on until I alt tab/shut down the game.